• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

stalls on slope

dirt

Anybody know what might be causing my dozer to stall or run rough? It
usually only does it if I get on a slope shortly after starting it. Its a 97 cat
d3c hystat mitshubishi 3046. Any thoughts appreciated!

rino1494

I've had a couple dozers and loaders stall on me on slopes. Everytime it was because there wasn't enough fuel in the tank.

dirt

thanks guys for the replies. The filter (as I recall it was the one that scewed into the injector pump at the end of the supply hose) was plugged solid with what appeared to be bits of black rubber. This was back in the spring when it was doing the same thing but worse and then would not start at all. I have since replaced all the seals on this supply line and checked this same filter a few times (always clean), tried other fuel and tried removing fuel cap.

As I recall the supply line comes off the side, near bottom of the tank. I am going to check to see if there is a pick-up in the tank that may have cracked, broken or fallen off. It has occured on a full tank but seems more common
when there is less fuel? A few times when removed the cap durring this problem there seemed to be a vacuum behind it?

I have also read that a clear line installed on the return side will show if there
is an air leak so I may try this after.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Shouldn't be any vacuum on the tank, look for vent in the cap maybe it’s plugged?

dirt

Looks like the plastic fuel stainer has been scaping on the
sharp flange that holds it up in the neck of the fuel tank.

Was not much fuel comming out of the fuel line when I disconnected
it and another larger piece of black plastic stuck in the fitting the hose
attached to when I removed it from the tank.

Now that I look closer I can see where the fuel strainer has been scaping
(very sharp) and there is plastic missing. I'll know more when I flush the tank
and try again.

Do most guys just remove the strainers or make a better strainer? There is none at all in my older backhoe.

Thanks.