• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stanley MB800 hammer nitrogen refill question

santafepa

Hi, I have a Stanley mb800 hammer thats been working great for years, but now the impact rate slowed down alot and i was told it needs a Nitrogen recharge. is this common for a hammer to be recharged occasionaly? or does it mean seals are blown out and needs major overhaul? Thanks

sheepfoot

May need a recharge, the mb800 needs a flow 22-30 gpm at 1800 psi to work, also the machine hydraulic flow may need some checks as well. Since you said it runs slow, there are some causes, low hyd flow/check system, excessive heat build up/oil cooler/releif valves/use lower throttle setting, excessive nitrogen pressure/ de-gas and recharge, then internal leakage/check seals and orings. I would find a rental yard that has the test equipment and have it charged, stanley sold kits to do this, you have three charging areas on most, high pressure accumulator/ nitrogen chamber/ low pressure accumulator. And yes they do need a recharge, we kept ours chained off the ground and uprite when stored.

santafepa

Sheepfoot, I was using it for a few hours busting rock, then all of a sudden it slowed down, now it hits fast for a few seconds then slows down again.. i'll take it to my local John Deere dealer for a recharge tomarrow. I also keep mine upright when not in use but did'nt keep the bit off the ground. good to know. Thanks for the info :notworthy