• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starter?

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Weird issue. KW T800 batteries are good.

Wouldn't crank a few times. KW thought it might be a "bad spot" on the starter.
Had the same issue again and had to jump it. It fired right off and worked like a champ for about a month. Starting to slow down a bit.

Had the exact thing happen to an older t800. After jumping it, it hasn't had a problem since. It's like jumping them "knocks the dust off" something.

Any thoughts?

lantraxco

Bad ground, wire connection, solenoid. Jumping gives you more voltage/amperage, bit of an arc welds up the connection/burns through some corrosion and you're good for a while. Just guessing.

Delmer

The more it slows down, the more resistance is "developing" somewhere, and the more heat that is making. That heat might help you find the loose/bad spot in the wiring if you shut it down after a particularly slow start and feel for warmth in the circuit. Or wait for sometime when everything is covered in condensation and check for what's "steaming" after starting and shutting off.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Again, check the ground. Put it off where it connects to the frame and check for paint, dirt, or loose connector. Have a hand on the starter when it won't start. If you have excessive heat, pull the starter and check to make sure the armature bushings are not worn. Look for the normal stuff like lots of dirt or grease that would make a wire hard and break internally, loose connections, and other simple things that will leave you dead in the water.

Old Doug

I was walking down the side walk one day and spoted a older women with the hood up on her car trying to start it she went to the ditch and filled a bottle with water and poured some on every cable end in sight then ask me to try it. She told me she found the problem i said how and she pointed to a cable end that was steaming. I was with my EX one day going to garage sells we must have stop her car 20times but this time it turned over slow then was dead. I was about 2 blocks from my brothers so he gave me a jump and i drove to his shop and i stoped and started it several time with out a problem. I got home and looked it over but found nothing. That fall we were garage selling agin and at the end of the day it done the same thing.I got a jump drove to my brothers let it seat with the lights on and started it several time fine. She drove it another 140,000 miles and never happened agin.

Truck Shop

One more thing you might check is after running for an hour feel the battery cases to see if you have one that is hotter than the rest. A loose plate inside a battery
will or can pull the others down slowly.

Truck shop

hvy 1ton

Had w9 that wouldn't crank at times. Battery boost or banging the solenoid would get to turn over. I think i replaced the whole starter when i finally had time. Have you checked the voltage at the relay when it failed to crank?

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
It got to where it would crank in the morning but wouldn't when it got hot. Grounds were tight. Replaced starter, seems all is good.

My helper put the starter in. Whoo hoo! I think he'll work out just fine.