• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starting to get hand/joint pain

TrackShovel

I’m thirty three years old and have been a operator for fifteen years and this past year I started to develop hand, finger and wrist pain. The last eight years I have been mining and primarily running D11’s (just over 10,000 operating hours) with the finger tip clutches and joystick blade control.
I think quite a bit of my hand pain is caused just by running the same style of controls all the time. In 2017 I spent six months off dozer, operating other equipment and my hands felt great. Started at a newly opened mine this past summer and was back running D11’s and after two months my hands started hurting again. I even volunteered to run the komatsu 475 and a couple D10N’s that we rented from a contractor just to give my hands a break.
Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues with their hands or just from running the same machine all the time and if you’ve found anything that has helped you out?

westerveld

When I run excavator for several days or weeks in a row I get some pain in my left shoulder, especially if I'm loading trucks, I own my own business so now I don't run it near as much as I used to. But I wouldn't doubt if you let it go too long there could be permanent damage, adjusting your armrest might help somewhat

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I have a Komatsu D65 EX-12 that you twist the F-N-R lever to change gears (1-2-3). My left wrist gets pretty sore at times from constantly shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. When it gets unbearable I switch machines with the guy that operates my Komatsu D65 EX-15 for awhile. It just has 2 buttons that shift the gears. I did try one of those elastic wrist band things for a little while. It seemed to help but it was pretty annoying and I couldn't get used to wearing it. So I think you have the right idea about switching machines, Just my $.02

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The other internal part to check is your neck. The nerves for your shoulder, arms and hands come out between C5 and C6. If the disks deteriorate the bones press on the nerves and you have all the problems you are talking about. You might catch a bunch of dirt from other operators but a neck brace might help if a check for carpal tunnel comes out negative.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Don't know what you do in your off time but you may need to find some exercises to do to keep things in better shape. The machines today don't require the physical effort like the machines of yesteryear did.
Mike

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Dumb question; are you running the machine 100% of your work day? With no breaks? I know of a shovel runners loading logs that about every hour or so, he stops, stands and stretches every which way. He has those tiny 3# dumbells and he uses them in the opposite direction he normally is working his hands. Running equipment is like sitting at a computer all day, repetitive work and no break, you need to break the pattern every so often so you don't seize up.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
My broader advice would be that if your position is screwing up your body then don't try to stick it out even if it is a good job. Get with management and see if they will allow you to mix it up or whatever it takes, if not hit the road. No job is worth lifelong body problems.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
What John C. said is spot on. 1.5+ million miles have compressed discs in my back which manifests itself in neck, shoulder and wrist pain in my right arm. Lots of shifting in those miles too so that doesn't help. The best thing I did to counteract the disc issues was work on core strength. I am also more aware of how I climb up or down, I almost never jump off equipment where I used to all the time.

If you watch other things you do and how you sit while operating you might catch one or two things that help. My haul truck at work has seats that aren't that great and were giving my back fits. After I removed the stop bolt for recline (old Pete trick lol) and flipped the bottom cushion forward to the position you use to open it and repair airlines it feels soooo much better. I usually change how I rest my right arm several times during longer trips to stay comfortable. Experiment a little, search core strength exercises and most of all be safe!

Btw I'll be 40 this summer and I've fought the back/shoulder/arm and wrist pain about 7 years now.

TrackShovel

When I run excavator for several days or weeks in a row I get some pain in my left shoulder, especially if I'm loading trucks, I own my own business so now I don't run it near as much as I used to. But I wouldn't doubt if you let it go too long there could be permanent damage, adjusting your armrest might help somewhat
I get the same thing in my right shoulder when running hoe or dragline, digging deep and dumping high.

TrackShovel

You should get checked for carpal tunnel syndrome. May need an operation. Welders doing lots of root passes with a Mig gun can get it too. Also know a very fast MX racer that carpal tunnel surgery. A wrist brace may help. What mine are you working at?
That will be something I’ll have to get checked out, knew it could be a possibility but was hoping that was something farther off in the future.
I’m at Fort Hills. How about yourself?

TrackShovel

The other internal part to check is your neck. The nerves for your shoulder, arms and hands come out between C5 and C6. If the disks deteriorate the bones press on the nerves and you have all the problems you are talking about. You might catch a bunch of dirt from other operators but a neck brace might help if a check for carpal tunnel comes out negative.
I’ve never heard of those things connected before and that was the main reason I wanted to start this thread. I do have some neck/posture issues from quite a few years ripping coal/rock. Thanks for the help.

TrackShovel

Don't know what you do in your off time but you may need to find some exercises to do to keep things in better shape. The machines today don't require the physical effort like the machines of yesteryear did.
Mike
Definitely something to try, grip strength exercises? I’ve been using similar control types running D6m’s (tbar style blade control instead of joystick) since the early 2000’s so I don’t think it’s so much keeping things in better shape but it doesn’t hurt to try.

TrackShovel

Dumb question; are you running the machine 100% of your work day? With no breaks? I know of a shovel runners loading logs that about every hour or so, he stops, stands and stretches every which way. He has those tiny 3# dumbells and he uses them in the opposite direction he normally is working his hands. Running equipment is like sitting at a computer all day, repetitive work and no break, you need to break the pattern every so often so you don't seize up.
Yes, minus my breaks. When I get sore I usually roll my wrists around and work my fingers. I also usually flex and relax my hands when backing up. At this point it’s not debilitating but more of a nuisance that I think could grow worse over time. Thanks

TrackShovel

My broader advice would be that if your position is screwing up your body then don't try to stick it out even if it is a good job. Get with management and see if they will allow you to mix it up or whatever it takes, if not hit the road. No job is worth lifelong body problems.
I’m not on dozer 100% of the time anymore (since November) but when I am on it I usually fill in for a week at a time and by the end of the week I’m sore. Things are going the right direction that in a year or two a most likely will only put a handful of hours a year. I still like running dozer just not the hand issues I’m having. Thanks

TrackShovel

0333AFFF-49BA-4805-B00D-CF8C0F6C79CC.jpeg AD8C2AAC-A441-4850-9868-7A1FA8BDC14F.jpeg
What John C. said is spot on. 1.5+ million miles have compressed discs in my back which manifests itself in neck, shoulder and wrist pain in my right arm. Lots of shifting in those miles too so that doesn't help. The best thing I did to counteract the disc issues was work on core strength. I am also more aware of how I climb up or down, I almost never jump off equipment where I used to all the time.

If you watch other things you do and how you sit while operating you might catch one or two things that help. My haul truck at work has seats that aren't that great and were giving my back fits. After I removed the stop bolt for recline (old Pete trick lol) and flipped the bottom cushion forward to the position you use to open it and repair airlines it feels soooo much better. I usually change how I rest my right arm several times during longer trips to stay comfortable. Experiment a little, search core strength exercises and most of all be safe!

Btw I'll be 40 this summer and I've fought the back/shoulder/arm and wrist pain about 7 years now.
I also no longer jump off equipment. I’ve changed my grip on both the clutches and joystick. I try to use the heel of my hand for direction changes and run the joystick with my hand on top of it more like the old tbar style control. Have to try the core strength and arm rest position. Thanks

Welder Dave

That will be something I’ll have to get checked out, knew it could be a possibility but was hoping that was something farther off in the future.
I’m at Fort Hills. How about yourself?

I don't work at a mine but know a few people who have done some welding in the oil sands and coal mines. About 20 years ago a friend was sent to weld on a dragline boom. The cables are permanently laid out running up the boom so he takes his stinger and other supplies up to repair a crack. He starts working away and all of a sudden the boom swings so he gets on the radio and asks what the heck is going on? Oh, we don't stop the dragline for minor repairs. Down he came, told them to get someone else. I think I would get to a Dr. ASAP to see if it's carpal tunnel or an issue with your back or something else. The sooner you find out if it can be treated the better. If you wait too long might be too late. Looks like you'd have a job for life if you like it but not if you're crippled up. It would get old fast trying to keep finding a new position that wasn't causing you grief and pain.

Mother Deuce

Our trade is not the easiest on our bodies. I tended to ignore the aches and pains as my career progressed. "John Wayne" it most of the time. I am 40 years in now. Like you I have 10,000 hours in 10s. A portion of that ripping in mines. I can remember one time all my innards bouncing off the inside of my rib cage when the shank passed into a void on a unshot project we had. I will echo everybody else go see a doctor. Get a complete physical scheduled. Even though the seat is angled that 11 degrees or whatever it is my neck is a train wreck from ripping. I have 5 to go and as long as they keep producing good aspirin/ ibuprofen I will get through it fine. The winch I hooked to the ceiling light in the bedroom is most beneficial when I go to get out of the rack :)) Take care of your body, you live in there!

Tunneldigger

Occupation
Farmer with a job in town
Try this. My did it and it really helped.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180502-132116.png
    Screenshot_20180502-132116.png
    704.7 KB · Views: 41