• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Strange, interesting and funny stories buying and selling equipment

skyking1

I was selling a tractor a year or so ago. One of those grey market Japanese mini tractors with a loader, 2 cyl diesel. I had a helluva time finding parts for it, and when I did they were spendy. Not interested in that, so tractor had to go. I wanted 4 grand for it, which was cheap. Guy comes out, and brings his buddy "who knows engines". You know the type... this guy wasn't going to hear one word I said. Ok, fine, do your thing manly man. When it comes time to talk turkey, he starts trying to talk me down. I told him I was firm on the price, and look around at what else is out there if you don't believe me. Of course, he said (I bet you can guess), "oh I know lots of others that are much cheaper". Then I said, of course, "go there then, bye". he starts to get creative and telling me his sob stories, blah blah blah. After a few minutes, I told him "I'm firm on the price. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, have a nice day". He then asked if I would give him $100 military discount. That's a soft spot for me, so I told him to show me his 214. I didn't serve, but I know alot of guys who did, and most of those keep a copy (usually a laminated card in their wallet) easily accessible all the time. That's how they get discounts at restaurants and stores all over the place, so they keep it handy. I would too. He didn't have it, and didn't seem to understand what that was. Tried to BS me anyway. It was actually kinda sad at some point, and I got pissed off. I told him to take off, and he finally buckled, gave me the cash and went on down the road. We probably spent 30-40 minutes haggling over a hundred bucks, and he was lying through his teeth the whole time.
your trust issues are well earned!