• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stripped Out Final Drive Drain Plug

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
This pic is the final drive plug for a Cat D3G Dozer. There are drain plugs and fill plugs this is the drain plug. About the diameter of a quarter. It is tapped for a 5/16 hex allen wrench. It is totally stripped. Give me some ideas on how to remove it. The picture shows a new one and the one I got out from the other final drive.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 926

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
First thing, take either a brass pin as close to the size of plug head, or the flat head of ball peen hammer placed on plug head, then give punch or ball peen some good whacks with a heavy hammer. This will help break the plug loose. Then you might try either welding a 5/16 hex key shank in the hole in plug, or, you could try some straight fluted screw extractors like these from Lisle, http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=376

Lee-online

It has an O-ring on it and that is what makes them hard to remove.

Hit the face of the plug a few times with a hammer and then they will unscrew. now since it is stripped you can use a hammer and chisel to turn the plug. last resort is to weld a nut to it.

BTW, they use metric hex keys.

td25c

Hi inyati13.I start off by giving the plug a few good womps with a hammer,dont be shy about it,hitter hard.It helps loosten up the shoulder & threads on the plug.Then I go around the edge with a cold chisel to back out the plug.Wear youre safty glases & good luck with it.

Iron@Dirt

Weld a bigger flat washer to it then a nut, the heat will help losen it also then put a wrench on it when it cools a little. Or weld a bolt and simular procedure. Tap on end with a hammer but dont flare so as not to put a wench on it. Some would drill and easy out, but I rather welding.

big ben

The first thing I would try is a sharp chisel that is about 1/2 the diameter of the plug. Try hammering it in a counter clockwise direction at a 45 degree angle on either the top half or bottom in an attempt to loosen it and spin it out.

DPete

Agree with the chisel, if it won't get it pound a grade 8 bolt in the hole and weld it if you can

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Thanks to all. In a van, down by the river. I smile everytime I think of Chris Farley.

ttazzman

I would not get excited about welding on a drain plug......but a chisel....or the end of the correct easyout tool would probably work fine.......

Trakwork

Occupation
owner/operator --semi retired
Looks like you could get a pipe wrench or vise grip to work?
or...Drill it . reverse thread ...place a bolt and turn.

CMSMOKE

Get the correct size (new) allen wrench, liberally apply some valve grinding compound to the wrench and plug, remove. The valve grinding compound will give the wrench more grip.

Iron@Dirt

If you are a decent welder, by welding a nut or bolt you would have been finished a long time ago. But thats the way I have been doing it for years, Maybe its just me.

_Rod

IronDirt is correct. Stick a hexhead bolt in the hole and weld it to the plug. Use a wrench to back the plug out. It can't get no easier than this.