• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck in mud!

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
I know, I'm sorry, but hey, if any of you guys want to fly in this weekend, we could get it stuck again:cool2

Well we had planed something similar to that this bank holiday with our Land rovers. Rednecks??? well we call ourselves "hillbilly 4x4"

John B.

Occupation
Environmental Engineer
When I got my 963, North Carolina had been in a 4 year dought. I think it's rained every day since then!

My bottomland is now a bog.

John B.

Occupation
Environmental Engineer
When I got my 963, North Carolina had been in a 4 year dought. I think it's rained every day since then!

My bottomland is now a bog.

What I was thinking, I should have said...

Thank you all for those great suggestions for getting unstuck. :notworthy I hope I never have to use any of them. I never would have been able to think of them myself. Personally; I've been backing away from some areas. I've got about 1 foot of topsoil. Then a layer of clay. When I go over the same area once or twice, fine. That third time things start to slide and sink. The front tracks go down and I back out.

Lately though, the hot weather is drying things out pretty well. Even after some downpours.

Yukonjack

Had the same problem with a dozer. I think you already have the solution from others. That is: hook a chain/cable to EACH track and get the lines as tight as possible (use binders if you can). Then SLOWLY wind the chain around the track as you back up the line. Once you clear yourself, be careful not to let the chain off the tracks, as it can get wound inside the track frame and become a terrible problem to get loose. It's best to take the chain loose and reconnect if you don't keep the lines on the track. You can't turn the machine while you are doing this. It MUST remain straight so the cable winds on the tracks only.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Hey guys:
I've been reading how you all got your Cats unstuck. Got to tell you a bit about my 953
Last spring I was out clearing trees from the line fence and doin some dirt moving for erosion control. Well it got to be late in the day and I was heading home and when going through a ravine I noticed a stump that just "had to be buried". I turned, was going to make a few scoops with the bucket and just as I followed through with the dig, my right track felt pretty soft and seemed to sink a little. Well I dumped right then and there and proceeded to back out, and then my right track sunk some more. Too steep of an angle to back up with on shallow grousers and just a little spin and there I sat. just plain numb.......well...the bucket was empty and so I had that going for me, and I could still move in the hole, but everytime I moved I sank deeper first on one side then the other....well I knew from years of tractor driving it is just plain better to stop when you are ahead, and I walked home about 1/2 mile away and brought the skidloader with a bucket full of cement and rocks, I raised the tracks of the Cat in the hole first with the bucket and threw all the rocks I could under the tracks to raise first the front, and then drove ahead until the tracks started spinning on the rocks. With the Cat inched ahead about a foot or two I was able to pack the backside of the tracks with even more rocks.......then back up on them. this went on for about three or four sessions of sea sawing back and forth until I had enough height to use the bucket to help push the Cat out of the hole. Just to give you an idea of how deep the hole was, I stepped out from the cab level with the surface of the ground when it was in the hole. I don't think it was laying on but it was darn close. my mistake was a rookie mistake, I was going to dig a "quick hole" and then head home. secondly I made my ramp way too steep for the moisture in the ground and thirdly I should have left a little wiggle room for me to move to one side or the other in order to get out of my own tracks while in the hole. Our ground where I live is clay/loam and it holds the spring runoff for a long time....well we live and learn I guess. This little bit of education came in handy in July this summer when I dropped an old two story Barn with bad foundation. lots iof digging there too and somewhat wet conditions.

Last edited:

Red Bank

Thanks for the post Monte, I am glad to see I am not alone with getting stuck:D. As far as "rookie mistakes", it reminds me of what a local grading contractor told me when he hauled my 955K in when I bought it, he said " when you wear out thress seats you will be good at operating a loader." I am beginning to think he might be on to something. Number one you can't learn if you don't try, number two how many years will a seat last anyway? If I wear out three I will have had a lot of experiences:drinkup

stock

Occupation
Are those seats to be on the one machine or would we get an average hours of how long a seat will last convert it to weeks/months operating time so for instance ,6000hrs is the average for a seat, 6000x3 =18000hrs /10hr day average=1800 days/30 days =60months or 5years constant working,so in real time allowing for holidays ,weekends,and bank holidays,one must spend 6.6years of ones life operating a machine to become compenent operator.......interesting!

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
I bought my machine last year and since then have put 1100 hrs. on it......on one machine......but still learning bout things like rocks when going over the edge a bit working on logging trails and just about how much adrenaline one actually can have . :eek: I personally believe that no matter how much we work in this field, and no matter how much experience we have, there will always be that chance of getting stuck, rollovers, and sliding down that hill sideways. lets see....hmmmmmmm as for the actual hrs as to when one is a qualified operator......well if seats are the answer maybe armrests should be include cuzz mine have some deep gouges in them lol.!!!

Red Bank

Stock-not sure how you meant your post-mine was to be considered humorous, but I would say that after 6.6 years on a machine an operator would be pretty good, or should be. And Monte consider yourself lucky, I don't have armrests!:cool2

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Red Bank: yeah know...when I bought my first machine, I was ignorant to certain things and when I climbed up into the cab one of the first things that I remember asking the saleman was why do they have so many hand grips in the cab.....and why did the salesman refer to them as oh $%@$ handles!!!!!!
I found out later that week......:D after that it was not a matter of if or when I was going to wear the seat belt ..but rather always.:eek: anyway this thread has been quite informing as to some of the tricks to getting out of mud and I thank you guys!! if anyone makes it up to SE MN sometime..... stop in!!! we'll set on the coffee pot for ya.:usa

wolfman

Occupation
Wildland Fire Dozer Operator (Fighting Fire with
Well, it finally happened today, without getting into the whole story of why it happened, I have sank my 955 in mud, right side track is level with the ground, left side is 3/4 sunk. I tried to dig it out with the bucket, but it is just moving mud. We cut down some trees and put them under the bucket to use it to raise the loader up and put some under the tracks, I might have moved about 2 inches! Does anybody have any suggestions? And if I need to get another piece of equipment to pull it out what size does anyone suggest? I have a friend with a 160 Deere excavator, could that dig it out and pull it out? Or do I need something bigger? A wrecker or crane is out of the question based on where the loader is located. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, even sarcastic comments, no one can be any harder on me than I already have been:pointhead.

been there bud, if you can dig around each side and the rear with backhoe or trackhoe will help 75% and then pull out from the rear if you can. some times you can cut a good size log (hardwood) and put behind the tracks and chain each side to the track pads and try walking it out and push with the logs you have under the loader bucket. just some tricks we have used in the past hope it works.

Lee-online

Well, this looks like a good place for my first post.
I like this forum and am learning alot. I an not an operator but a mechanic and have been working on Cats for over 10 years.
So anyway, since you all like pics, here is a track loader i got stuck in our test pit. Like i said, I'm not am operator.....
Got it stuck in a previous dug trench, hung up on the belly and the bucked just sunk in the mud. Lucky i have access to all kind of equipment and a good shove and it was out.

IMG_0034.jpg

stock

Occupation
IMG_0034.jpg

Just like that lee on the river.