• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sub frame removal

big b

I have a little project and was wondering what was the best way to remove a cement mixer sub frame. The subframe is welded to the truck frame, Is a torch better or grinder with a cutoff wheel i just dont want to destroy the truck frame. Thanks in advance for any help.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Try and snip the welds with a thin cutting disc.Try not to torch it, You don't want to get the chassis rails to hot.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Kind of hard for us to give accurate advice on method without seeing what we're working with. And I'm not suggesting to not worry about heating frame with torch, only wanted to state that frame has already been heated by welding the mixer to truck frame. Without seeing the work area, I might consider using a gouger to cut either steel of mixer frame or gouge welds.