• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

swepco 121 tri-plex grease

mader121

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Technician
just wondering if anyone has experience using swepco 121 tri-plex grease. they claim its a universal grease that increases service life, high shear resistance, shock and impact resistance, extreme pressure capabilities, and water and high-temperature resistance. just looking for some real life information to back this product up...thanks!

Thixo

We did a Timken bearing test to compare water, heat and pressure performance of Swepco compared to our Thixogrease. The client is switching to Thixogrease.

gm3100

Occupation
Turf Equipment Mechanic
I maintain a fleet of equipment on a golf course. Some of my machines have 70 or more grease fittings. During this past summer I tested many greases to find a replacement grease for a expensive grease i was using. I tried the 121 Triplex, I found that it was not as water resistant as some others, based on using in bearing housings with worn seals and the rub in your hand test. It held up well in loaded pins, but not the best.
In my opinion it is a bit expensive and there are other greases that cost less and perform as well and better in water situations. For me I wanted an aluminium complex, we had been using a barium based grease.

Martman36

What is the composition of this grease. Aluminum complex? Calcium Sulfanate? Lithium. I am unable to determine from their tech sheet which is weird because to put it into use on my excavators I need to know if it is compatible with the grease I'm currently using or do I need to purge/clean out the grease before applying.

Scott Wendel

The client fell for one of the oldest & most deceptive demo's that is making the rounds again with a new class of modified Timken machines. EP chemistry is heat activated. The ruse is that the person selling the grease or oil, MUST demo the competitor first, without idling the bearing pressure or applying slow pressure to heat it up. That means that the EP chemistry will NOT work. Then to test their product, the sales rep takes their time, talks a lot of BS ( I bet they have no lube certifications what-so-ever ) and lets the Timken machine get hot, slowly applying pressure and WAHLAH, their product will not cease up or cause high amperage. The next time any of you "lube experts" see a Timken test, insist that the first grease or oil tried is the one that the person with the machine is selling !!! If they had any brains or actual lube training, they won't do it. So a word of caution to the uninformed, make sure the person you buy lube from has some STLE or ICML certification, and that person is most likely selling a product that doesn't require lying, cheating & stealing to sell. 90 some % of the lube buyers, users and decision makers know squat about lubes !!! FACT

204saskman

We use the swepco products at work. Seem to break down easy. We mainly use the 115 but its food grade too. Not cheap grease. I personally use shell synthetic grease. We used it on the drilling rigs and had very few bearing failers on there.