• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Swung gear query - hitachi ex200-3

scottish

Hi, I have a quick query about my 1996 hitachi ex200-3 swing gear - how/where do I grease the cogs/teeth?? I have checked the oil in the swing motor and its okay, but how do I lubricate the drive cog and toothed ring? There's no access from below I can see, and no inspection cover/plate I can find up top behind the lift ram bases on the turntable (where I believe some machines have an accessible grease 'well'). I have greased the slew ring bearing via the 2 nipples on the face of the slew regularly and my mechanic tells me this will also grease the swing gear on this model, but I am unconvinced.

Can anyone help/does anyone have a definitive answer for this vintage of hitachi ex200? I hate running a machine that I'm not 100% sure is correctly lubricated in such a vital and inaccessible area.....

Cheers in advance for all assistance

scottish

Ah-ha! I never even thought of checking there! will check it out tomorrow. From memory I think the tool box might be too far 'outside' of the ring gear to provide access, but I could very easily be wrong.... How full of grease should the well be, assuming I locate it?!

361brock

Occupation
retired
The tool box is where mine is, and my Hitachi is much older.
Put on a pair of rubber gloves and press it into the opening onto the gear, spin the turn table a few feet and do it again till you have gone completely around. Buy a case of grease, probably use most of it.