• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Syn. oil for the winter??

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
Ok let me throw this out here, as I was asked. Any problems with just using syn. engine oil in the winter & regular oil in the summer ?? I myself use Rottella syn. yr round.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
There would be no problems at all. Synthetic and petroleum oils are fully compatible. I'm just wondering, why not run syn. oils year 'round? Syn. oils have a much greater resistance to thermal breakdown that you would see during the summer months.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I know several guys that run Rottella in the cold for easier start ups.

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
Like I said I run it yr round. But a fellow excavator looking to save a dime & was looking at running it only in the winter.

unimog

Even though I'm a die hard Schaeffer fan, the reports I've heard indicate the Shell syn is a very good product as well. I think even hot rod magazine touted it as being excellent for cam wear in high performance apps.

John DiMartino

Super Moderator
Occupation
Greenskeeper/mechanic
Ive been running the Rotella syn in my Dodge/Cummins pickup,and it starts MUCH easier than with conventional oil. I rarely plug in,and i never have ap roblem.I also switched my old Ford 1910 tractor to it for the winter,so it starts easie when loading my salt spreaders in the winter,it too never gets plugged in,and starts MUCH easier.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
One of the biggest , if not the biggest, advantages to synthetics is the ability to handle temperature extremes. Both cold and heat. Most know that 80% of engine wear occurs at start-up. Cold flow properties are very important, in the cold, so to speak.

unimog

I use the Schaeffer 9000 5W-40 in my Unimog and owe it's ability to get cranking in the cold to the oil. I have a VW Tdi that wouldn't start this AM, the Redline 15W-40 is just too thick for temps in the teens. Needless to say it will soon be changed to the Schaeffer.

dieselnich

Occupation
electronics tech 3/ instructor
You can use synthetic year round 5w40 premium diesel oil which has a -44deg. to +486 deg. range. check out the info through greensynthetic.com I use this in my 6.2 GMC and 190D 2.2L they turn over way faster in the winter with no heater needed. They don't evaporate in the summer either.

cat320

Charter Member
I have been using the castrol syn in my truck I could see the difference the moment I put it in have had no problems starting this winter with no plug in.

Catpower

Occupation
Electrician, equipment operator
Syn oil

Stay with syn oils year round. What hours do you put on the equipment in the winter? Would it need an oil change in the ??? spring are there more hours that could go on the oil? Would your summer oil have to be changed early with the hours on the oil? would this leed to short hours on summer oil with the cost of it? Having to stock two engine oils or have to top up either?

dieselnich

Occupation
electronics tech 3/ instructor
Premium synthetic diesel oil ( DEO ) by Amsoil inc. 5w-40 has a Caterpillar ECF-3, and ECF-1. Normally it is changed once per year on average 10-12,000 miles or longer with oil analysis at oaitesting.com . Inquire through www.greensynthetic.com and click the amsoil product links. On the right be sure to see the product guides which will build a list of oil and filters plus for your equipment - there better than the parts store books.
Thanks for your inquiry, Dieselnich

BrianHay

The only thing to be careful off that I am aware of is putting it in high mile/hour engines. They sometimes will have false seals in them. Basically the seals/gaskets are gone but it does not leak because it is sealed up with gunk. Synthetic oil cleans an engine far better then conventional oil does and will clean out that gunk producing a leak.

Ray Welsh

Banned
The only thing to be careful off that I am aware of is putting it in high mile/hour engines. They sometimes will have false seals in them. Basically the seals/gaskets are gone but it does not leak because it is sealed up with gunk. Synthetic oil cleans an engine far better then conventional oil does and will clean out that gunk producing a leak.

Brian, down under, we used to call synthetic oils "hi detergent" and they will create leaks and compression blow-by in old engines for sure.
I liked running a single grade of oil for everything had, so I chose straight 30grade for our Queensland climate. I used oil from Mobil who supplied Cat dealers under a different brand (& more expensive).
I used it in 3306 Cat engines, transmissions and hydraulics with no problems.
I also used it in Utility work vehicles and even the wifes car.
Thus all the oil came from a single source. Life's pretty simple if you make it so..........C ya...........Ray

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
I would recommend using a synthetic and changing the oil based on oil analysis results, not engine or operating hours. Oil analysis is the best way to know what's going on inside your engine. It will point out problems like: a coolant leak, dirt ingestion, wear metals, fuel dilution, soot levels in diesels, oxidation levels, nitration levels, additive levels and numerous other items depending on the level of test you pay for.

I always give my customers all the knowledge and information I can on the benefits of oil analysis, as it provide you the customer, owner/operator the most economical oil change intervals and preventative maintenance program money can buy. Most oil sample kits start at around $10.00 for the very basic, and go up to around $30.00 for the most advanced. This is money well spent, so please consider it. Thanks, John

Last edited:

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
Newer Diesel and gear boxes.

One thing thing to add, new automotive diesel engines require synthetic oils. VW Jetta & Jeep Liberty uses Mercedes diesel 0-40 synthetic oils. Also my sheet pile hammer requires synthetic oils, change 40 hrs. if non synthetic oils change 8 hrs.plus the synthetic oils are less foaming. So the synthetic oils go 5 times longer in the pile driver gear box is I run synthetic oils in all drill motor gear boxes now because of the non foaming and added life. But how much of the synthetic oil is actually dino-petro oil if any?

surfer-joe

Synthetic is expensive for equipment that is in steady production. Regular oil will perform as well, and is cheaper. Now if you have starting problems, synthetic may be good for the cold weather, but I'd go back to regular oil in warmer times. If one uses synthetic for steady production equipment, an oil sampling program is a must as the oil has to be run longer to try to make some of the increased cost worth it. The sample results will indicate to you when it is time to change.

Do not use synthetic oils in Detroit 2-strokes. Do not use multi-vis oils in Detroit 2-strokes.

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
One thing thing to add, new automotive diesel engines require synthetic oils. VW Jetta & Jeep Liberty uses Mercedes diesel 0-40 synthetic oils. Also my sheet pile hammer requires synthetic oils, change 40 hrs. if non synthetic oils change 8 hrs.plus the synthetic oils are less foaming. So the synthetic oils go 5 times longer in the pile driver gear box is I run synthetic oils in all drill motor gear boxes now because of the non foaming and added life. But how much of the synthetic oil is actually dino-petro oil if any?

Darryl,

Greetings, you bring up a good point on using the proper oil in today's new diesel engines. The VW requires a oil that meets the European specification. My neighbor is a VW mechanic and said his sees problems all the time with sludging in the VW oil pans that plugs the oil pump pick up tubes. He said the problem is people are running a conventional 5W-30 engine oil vs. a synthetic that meets the VW spec.

On your drill gear box, I'm curious what you run for oil, and if have ever done oil analysis at 40-hours. You are most likely saving money on buying the oil if you can go 40-hours with synthetic vs. 8-hours with conventional oil. I know that with most of the AMSOIL oils, the break even on price is typically 2.5 to 3 times the run time or miles. In your case you are going 5 times longer.

If you don't mind, please send me the oil specification and equipment application. I have a local company that does geo-piering and they have expressed interest in synthetics as they are having to perform $40K overhauls on the machines prematurely. They are pushing the machines and realize that comes at a price. Maybe I can provide you with an other synthetic option that may reduce the heat, reduce the wear, reduce your cost and keep your machine in production with longer fluid drain intervals.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
Darryl,

On your drill gear box, I'm curious what you run for oil, and if have ever done oil analysis at 40-hours. You are most likely saving money on buying the oil if you can go 40-hours with synthetic vs. 8-hours with conventional oil. I know that with most of the AMSOIL oils, the break even on price is typically 2.5 to 3 times the run time or miles. In your case you are going 5 times longer.

If you don't mind, please send me the oil specification and equipment application. I have a local company that does geo-piering and they have expressed interest in synthetics as they are having to perform $40K overhauls on the machines prematurely. They are pushing the machines and realize that comes at a price. Maybe I can provide you with an other synthetic option that may reduce the heat, reduce the wear, reduce your cost and keep your machine in production with longer fluid drain intervals.

Thanks,

John
I am using Chevron 75-80 synthetic in Pile hammer & Drill Drives. The problem with drill drives is there is no place for the wear particles to go but into the lower bearing.