• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

T-800 convert to heavy front axle

crane operator

1997 KW t800. Has n-14 13 speed, 40,000lbs rears. Looking to convert my light front axle to a 20,000lbs front.

Wanting to know what measurements I need to take from mine, to compare to the junkyard ones. Are there a lot of differences in KW front frame width? Does it matter set forward or set rearward axles? Are there different pin to pin on axle for spring location. Will I have to find one for a set rear axle because of how this one has rear side steering boxes, and mine are front side steering boxes?

Here's 4 pictures of a junkyard KW in Kansas City that I'm looking at.

They would sell this as a full front cut off, but its a set forward axle. 20,000lbs eaton axle with double steering boxes- and I'm assuming that I may need to upgrade steering pump for the double boxes?

KW concrete truck 1.jpg KW concrete truck 2.jpg KW concrete truck 3.jpg KW concrete truck 4.jpg

crane operator

Never worried about it. My stuff is so old I don't think anything has a readable tag on the door. If it does, I've likely repainted over it when making things look nice. I know ford isn't giving me a new tag for my 80's and 90's L9000's.

cfherrman

I don't know much but my N14 12k front axle type power steering pump is driving a tandem front axle with floats with no problem, so I'd just try it. (Single steering box)