• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi 153FR randomly stalls

fullkevin

My Takeuchi excavator will stall randomly when running it. When stalls the gauges all go out and the excavator will turn over but wont start until gauges are lit. could take 1 hour or 1 day till they come back on. Checked coolant temp and levels. Checked the pump solenoid that was good. Engine will start with the solenoid out of the machine . Gauges will come back on randomly and then will run fine until a couple hours later when it will do it all over again. The lentgh of run time is getting shorter and shorter. Anyone else have this problem?

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Key switch may be going bad . Had this happen a few times ,usually when you use a big set of keys.

fullkevin

changed out the relays, and thought that was it. started running fine but shortly began doing the same thing again . Dash wont light up, engine will turn over but it wont start. Something is shutting the engine off. Does anyone know how many sensors this machine has? I think it might be one of the sensors. I take the injection pump solenoid off and will start and run fine with this off. So therefore its not fuel, starter....Sometimes it can sit for 10 min, sometimes an hour then the dash will light back up and then it starts but will be running it for a time and will just shut off again.

heymccall

It's definitely not a sensor. All the sensors will illuminate the corresponding warning light, followed by shutdown. They won't turn off the cluster.
If you don't get a lamp check at key on, then ignition source 12v is suspect.

MPR

Hello, any updates on this? I have the same exact problem. I have done the following:

Checked all relays
Inspected wiring harness (removed seat, right console, and controller under seat)
Checked control voltages at controller.
Physically inspected inside of the controller
Verified ignition switch contacts

When the dash lights are on (all of them steady) the stop solenoid works properly (even though the indicator lights are incorrect). When the dash lights are all off, the stop solenoid pulls in for a second due to the timer, but the controller does not send voltage to the emergency stop relay so the "hold" wire to the solenoid is not energized and therefore it drops back out.

I have only one time seen what I think is normal operation: turn key from OFF to RUN, all lights briefly illuminate but go back out with the exception of battery, oil, and " ! " Blinking. While in this state the rabbit light will blink if button is pressed and everything appears to work. Like I said I've only seen this happen once while I was poking around at the harness pugs for the controller. I have not been able to replicate and am unable to find any issues with the harness.

heymccall

I just replaced the main computer on my 2007 TB180FR, referenced above, due to same issue. Checked and double checked grounds, relays, sensors, harness continuity, changed ignition switch, etc...
No joy. When dash didn't self check at startup, it would crank but not start.
Swapped ECM with another TB180FR here, and the problem followed the ECM.
$1100 later, and back to normal.

I have 4 TB180FR here, and, ironically, the same ECM was replace 8 years ago for loss of throttle control, along with travel rabbit, but would stay running. It wouldn't restart until it sat a day. Other than this one, none of my other 7 Takeuchis has ever had an ECM issue.

MPR

Darn, that was not what I was hoping to hear. I better double check everything a couple more times before dropping the dime on that thing. Anyone have a TB in upstate NY that would be willing to try my ecu???

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I had one that did that, as I recall it was a wiring harness, but it was a long time ago.

MPR

That link is for a 135, I have a 153fr. I found one parts book on Google but wrong serial number range.

I decided to pull the controller and wire it up on the bench and see what the dash lights do. That will eliminate the entire harness from the equation. I'll let you know how it goes.