• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TL12 tracks question

marcin

Hi all,

I have about 1700 hours on this machine with original rubber tracks. Yesterday, I noticed that 2 of the metal inserts in the tracks came out. Both of them were from one side, but not next to each other. Does this mean I have to change these tracks or can I continue using them? They are otherwise worn but do not seem worn out yet. Thank you for your responses.

M

lantraxco

Either you got something in there, rock, piece of metal or concrete that dislodged them, or the rubber is shot and they're unbonding and coming out. That track will die pretty soon in any case so start shopping.

Sprocket is easy to replace, especially when changing tracks, and normally you want to put a new sprocket with a new track anyway.

marcin

Thank you for your responses. It happened while turning sharply in a gravel pit - it may have been a rock that dislodged them. The rubber has cracked on the inside in a few places though. I am planning on purchasing new tracks but wanted to know if it is safe to get some more hours out of these or can using them hurt something else? I will plan on posting photos of the tracks tomorrow.

lantraxco

I would say you should replace the bad one as soon as you can. If you get any indication of a skip or hangup going over the sprocket, stop before you do possible damage to the final drive. It won't take long to lose another bar or two and things will go downhill quickly.

marcin

Attached are the photos of the track and sprocket. I called the dealer today and he said new sprocket tooth "height" is 4 9/16" and if mine is lower than 4 1/2", I should replace. I measured and it seems very hard to tell that kind of a difference. I always thought the sprocket teeth got thin and not short with time. Please explain. Thanks for your advice.

thumb_IMG_1581_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1582_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1583_1024.jpg

skata

those are the original tracks? i was not aware that style was installed by factory.
worn sprockets tend to have the teeth openings(the U part) get wider as they wear. not so much shorter.

lantraxco

Sprocket does not look bad, track is rags man, rubber is all rotten. Time, heat, sunshine all weaken the rubber and make it brittle like that.

dirthog28

Go ahead replace them now! I'm still upset with myself. Mine spit out a metal link a couple of months ago and my tight ass thought I could maybe go all summer before replacing track, they were shot anyway. Well a week ago on a rush job, the track broke, so not only it cost me a track, but a rental on another CTL. I'm still mad at myself for not replacing, I knew it was going to happen just hoped it be at my shop or my property when it broke. You'll get half a dozen answers but sprockets don't look bad.

Tracklayer

The track rubber can get pretty beat up looking and still continue in service, but if yours are getting the embeds pulled out, time is short, and I would replace them without hesitation. The sprockets do look okay, but I am not exactly sure about the profile of the valley between the teeth. I would want to compare that to new sprockets to see if profile is approaching the point where they might slip. I had a Takeuchi loader like that for one season. It was new, and I seem to recall the base of that valley between the teeth being more rectangular rather than the rounded gap appearing in between the sprocket teeth shown above.

I also had a Commander 4200 loader with sprockets that wore the teeth into a sort of hook shape on the sides of the teeth engaging in forward travel where it was doing most of the work. I was told that the hook of those teeth could pull embeds out of the track when pushing hard. When pushing hard, the hooked tooth does not want to let go of the embed as the tooth moves to the point where it must disengage.

lantraxco

The drive lugs look rounded, which probably is the reason for the curved bottom between teeth.

For any rubber tracked machine, if the teeth start to hook at all, slack the tracks off and swap the sprockets side to side, that way you're driving forward on the less worn side of the teeth. It's not unusual to wear out two or even three sets of sprockets depending on the machine, the duty, and the abrasiveness of the ground you're working in.