• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TD15C hydraulic troubles

landsalesman

Hi folks, I hope I haven't screwed up. My TD15C that I recently purchased seemed to be turning on pivot brakes only. I thought the sight glass on the hydraulic tank was fogged and low of oil. A couple people told me that I could fill to the bottom of the strainer which is about 6 inches above the sight glass. I used about 2 gallons of 32 and 4 gallons of 10W20 universal fluid. The dozer seem fine at first, the steering cluthches seemed to be working fine. I only went about 50 feet and the clutch pressure guage started jumping back and forth. The machine slowed to a stop. I drained the fluid down to the middle of the sight glass which now I know does let me see the oil. The machine is doing the same as before. At first all is well and when I move the steering levers a few time the machine slows to a stop. The blade and tilt seem to move fine. Please help me out of this one and I promise to never do somethong this stupid again.

hardtail

I have sent Rocko59 a PM so hopefully he'll be along to help out........an extremely knowledgable fella that still works on these daily.

landsalesman

Thanks Hardtail, I am thinking of flushing the system, installing new filters then refilling with new fluid to see if that helps. Maybe Roco59 or someone else will know what to do.

hardtail

Lots of conflicting advice :beatsme I'm thinkin 10W for the transmission but I'm not positive so thats why I'm trying to contact him, that and he is really good at diagnosing these problems. EZTRBO should be correct on the fluid choice he's run em for years........hopefully R59 will appear.......LOL

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
TD 15c steering

The hydraulic system has nothing to do with the steering system. Sounds like air in the transmission system if the clutch pressure is fluctuating, check the tranny oil level which is located near the rh armrest, has a long bayonet gauge on it, tranny holds about 40 gals from memory of 10 grade oil. Could also be sucking air somewhere in the tranny system.

rocko59

RDG is right, completely separate systems, both usually use 10 wt engine oil, but the hydraulic system is more forgiving. ALWAYS use 10 wt in the trans/ rear main frame though as it does multiple jobs, wet clutches, cooling etc. The trans level is checked in neutral with the engine idling, set the stick on the top of the tube, not threaded down to see level.
Next step is to find out the serial # or age of the machine, the newer ones have the trans filters & suction screen in the compartment to the left of the seat, there is a cover that closes in the whole area between the fuel tank & the shifter tower, they are much more sensitive to suction leaks. Do you here any whining or growling sounds from below your feet or on the left of the seat? Pull the floor panel out right in front of the seat, there will be a #20 (1 1/2") hose about 8"s long coming out of the left side "fender", going into an elbow above the driveshaft this hose gets baked & will turn at the crimp sometimes & suck air. It may be any early one too, they have the suction screen above the driveshaft on an angle, the trans filter is in side the frame on the left side, check all the hoses & fittings for any thing loose, they are less trouble for suction leaks because they don't have to lift the oil as high. Check these things out & get back to me, I'll try to get back at ya as soon as I can, but have a busy weekend, good luck.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Just had a leaking issue the other day and my boss couldn't belive when I told him to bring me 10W, he was like 10W-30? Another thing to check if you ARE low on Trans fluid is to check each of your finals...as a leaking seal inside can result in one of your final drives to be over full(its unlikely that BOTH will have seals out). as the above post have said look for any leaks externally, and check and change your filters. Make sure the fluid levels are all good(trans, finals, etc). Good luck.

Trbo

landsalesman

The oil level in the transmission is now below the end of the dipstick. I checked it about 10 oe 12 hours before and it was full. At least it showed full when I uncrewed the stick from a cold machine. I did not know to check it from the unscrewed position like Roco59 said. It had a creamy appearance on the dip stick. I have found a barrel of 10W for $375.00. It is by far the best price I could find. I'm thinking a new oil change and go through the filters and screen as advised. Now I'm wondering if the oil did go into the finals. I will check them also. I sure appreciate the help from all of you.