• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

terex 72-31BA trans problem

zlssefi

When plowing snow today, the operator of my loader said he heard a snap and a clunk and shut the engine down immediately. there were no leaks, all fluids were up to par etc. when re starting the engine there was no transmission pressure and the loader wouldnt move, engine ran fine air came up fine and hydraulics worked. Do you guys have an idea what may be the case? Im taking a stab at the trans pump blew, but do you guys have any experience with changing these? thanks!

cat320

Charter Member
Sounds like you figured it out because that is what it sounds like to me. the one thing i do know about those terex's is any detroit /allison shop can work on it.around here it's new england detroite diesel I know this because they bought a lot machine and it was a terex reason being is that they could fix and work on both parts engine and trani. i think they have a place in CT but do not know where .

zlssefi

Update----after doing a few checks and reading through the manuals i have figured out a couple things. The transmission charge pump runs off the front of the transmission which also runs the main hydraulic pump. All of the main hydraulics still work, however i have zero transmission charge pressure. I guess the main question is is it possible for the charge pump drive to shear, but still drive the hyrdraulic pump itself? hopefully theres a terex guru or two on here.... I called the dealer and the first question was if i scanned the computer for codes.....seriously, its a 1985.....thanks in advance for any responses!

zlssefi

Update #2 I ended up removing the transmission oil pump today and found that the insides had worn and broke apart. Im now waiting on responses from parts places about availability. Now the question is would anyone on here know of a good place to get transmission pumps and parts?

Dominion 410

72-31b

We had a 72-31B at one time.A decent machine and we got a lot of work out of it.Had the transmission overhauled once after about 12,000 hrs.A snap ring or lock ring broke and it just stopped moving.Did do some damage though.Had to pull the cab off to remove the transmission if I remember correctly.Parts should be still readily available.Any chance of some pictures of it?
Dominion:canada

zlssefi

transmission

I dont have the part number in front of me, ill look as soon as i get to the shop tomorrow. This loader has been excellent since we bought it, had to overhaul the engine, install a new air compressor, change a few hoses and now this but not bad for a machine thats about 23 years old. Ill get some pictures as soon as shes up and running, preferably plowing snow! thanks for the responses guys