• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TEREX 760B Backhoe, the Good, the Bad, the Ugly

cariboobluefarm

Occupation
Superwoman
Hello everyone - If anyone here perhaps owns a TEREX 760 B Backhoe, your input is greatly appreciated.

The previously owned machine in consideration is:
a TEREX 760B
Year 2007
Hours on it: 2400
(attached a photo for fun)

One Issue Off The Hop:
The gentleman told us that there is a "short" somewhere. I am unsure of what he means by this, I did not go into too much detail. BUT he did tell me it starts not a problem, drives and works just fine! If anyone has any thoughts what a "short" on a TEREX 760b might be that would be appreciated. My husband said it could be something as simple as the battery cables?
NOTE: we are unable to get a mechanic to look at it, this man lives far from town.

Some questions regarding this machine include:
  • IF you are a Canadian TEREX 760b owner, are the parts easily accessible for you?
    ( I have already done my research in this area, but extra leads are always welcome)
  • Pros - individual thoughts
  • Cons - individual thoughts
  • Is it true that TEREX runs on a Perkins Diesel Engine?
I do know that Mecalac Construction Equipment bought the Backhoe Division of TEREX as of December 10, 2016.

I have the 1500 Page TEREX 760b Workshop Manual
(I bought it online here if anyone is interested or needs it) It was only $26.94CAD.
https://bit.ly/37A6CMP

Attachments

• Photo - Terex Backhoe Loader TX760.jpg
    Photo - Terex Backhoe Loader TX760.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 34
Occupation
Local 26 IBEW
Just bought an 860 with 1200 hrs. For my use seems like a great machine.

Anyways A short typically means electricity is not flowing in its intended path and took a shortcut back to earth/ground. Should pop a fuse. Find out what circuit the fuse controls and look in those areas. Could also be some component drawing too much amperage causing the fuse to pop but thats an overload and not a short. Either way hope you figure it out.

Doesn’t seem to be too much info here on these machines or anywhere for that matter so figuring things out may prove challenging when I need to fix something. Good info with that manual! I’ll be purchasing that for sure.

Vetech63

Short...……..electrical as said above.
Perkins...…..yes.
My experience with them...……...:eek:
Buying parts...……….:confused:o_O:(:mad:
Recommendation...………….Run!

Just my experience of course.

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, Cariboobluefarm !
You have a really nice looking website !
I can only repeat part of what Vtech posted with a couple of added words.
Recommendation...………….Run! away from it as fast as you can and don't look back at it.
Do some research for dealer support and how far away they are from you.
Seems strange the owner never repaired that short. That is a big red flag right there.
Read this thread about Terex parts. Quite sad for any Terex owners I think.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/2002-terex-760-extend-a-hoe-4x4-up-keep-repairs.73565/

Last edited:

Welder Dave

They weren't real popular and have basically no parts support now. Look for something else with local dealer support and save yourself a headache.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Front axles are prone to snapping off the left side wheel. Electrical systems were a nightmare. The batteries were always going dead. The sheet metal is like working on a Rubics Cube to take off and reinstall. Bolts seem to rust in place and snap off when trying to remove them. The last one I looked at for a Cat dealer trade I told them not to take if the customer paid them. They took it anyway and it sat in the used yard for about a year. The out of territory guy sold it at a loss.

Occupation
Local 26 IBEW
From all of my searching I agree that they weren't that popular. I have dealer about an hour and a half from me. Will they be able to have parts when I need them? Probably not, but at least I have a source to get the parts. “My machine is for personal use, so I don’t have any huge overhead or losses from not getting a job done on time and wasting man hours” I can see the parts being a problem for some one who relies on their machines to make a living.

Working on any electrical system is usually a pain whether it be in a car tractor or any piece of equipment. Knowing how to properly diagnose will save a lot of headache. Keep halving the circuit to narrow down the problem area.

Bolts that are exposed to weather always rust the only thing you need is time. On non rusted hardware breakaway torque is always higher than the original toque spec. Add rust and that compounds the problem. Heat and penetrating oil before you ever attempt to break any rusted hardware apart will go a long way. Dissimilar metals will speed the rusting up substantially as well. On a 18 year old machine such as mine I expect to see a little rust. Address it and you will prevent future headaches.

As far as batteries go, my terex starts 10x easier than my 7.3 with two brand new batteries and has no issue with going dead. Even in the cold.

Welder Dave

Having a dealer doesn't help if the parts aren't available from the manufacturer. That's the biggest issue and the most important.