• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex Parts

John Wayne

Hello John Wayne,

What year is your Ts14g, and what engine is in it?(tier2 or tier3?)

There wasn’t a permanent fix for the drive shaft/ yolk/ coupler failure, which is especially notable on the front engine.

The front engine has a bit more going on, with the pumps, ac compressor, ect. So determining what exactly is causing driveline issues is difficult.

What is your low idle set to?
Any engine faults active?
Any play in the front yolk?(splines wear, or the nut comes loose)
Have you calibrated your transmissions lately?
How cold of weather are you working in?
Thanks for the quick reply!
The machine is a 2006 with 5.9 Cummins tier 2 in front and back. Mechanic has removed the hydraulic pump stack, transmission pump from machine and started it without parasitic loads and it still “chugs” and vibrates then takes off. I believe the idle is at 700 rpm. Cummins came out and adjusted the idle and checked out the engine however still “chugs”. Machine has a new coupler and rebuilt drive. Maybe 1/16” free play in the driveshaft before engine turns. When it “chugs” excessive rattling noise from rear drive can be heard as well as during engine shut down. Not sure if/when transmissions have been calibrated. I know they shift because we recently had to replace voltage protection module for power to ecu’s. Engine runs good however does its “chugging” when first started in the morning. It does not matter if it is 20-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Engine will “chug” and eventually break the driveline. “Chug” condition can be duplicated if the machine is idling and the hydraulics are actuated. Transmission was recently resealed by John Deere dealer and they said everything looked good inside. Problem existed before jd resealed transmission. We are not sure which way to go without throwing expensive parts at it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Did Terex update/replace that entire drive to eliminate that noise?
Thanks

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
I would recommend adjusting your low idle to at least 950rpm. Higher low idle RPM will help with the chugging. You can set the low idle with the idle switches.
Check that your ECM software was updated by Cummins. There should be a newer dataset available (if it wasn't done yet)

The doldrums issue was never properly resolved in my opinion, just reduced the amount drive shafts and couplers broke. I usually
see the driveline break just after coffee time when the operator starts the machine back up.

Excessive rattling at start up and shut down at the rear engine is usually the drive coupler on its way to breaking.

You can calibrate your transmission by following the instructions below. The plugs are in the fuse box area, they are the weather pack connectors.

TS14g cal.jpg

John Wayne

Thank you Gary! We will try the calibration and make sure Cummins installed new software. We have tried adjusting the idle off the switches but it still rattles. Does anyone that you know of build a different drive group for the front engine and hydraulic pumps?
Thanks

GaryHoff

Occupation
The rattle should get noticeably less at the higher idle rpm.
You could also try installing a non-terex engine calibration. I haven't personally done this, but a truck application or similar calibration may work.

I don't know of anyone building a different drive group for the front engine that would directly fit on this application.

Questionable wizard

The rattle should get noticeably less at the higher idle rpm.
You could also try installing a non-terex engine calibration. I haven't personally done this, but a truck application or similar calibration may work.

I don't know of anyone building a different drive group for the front engine that would directly fit on this application.
So the rattle is in the coupler/driveshaft?
I am new to the Terex G's. Have a 2002 model with the DT466's. The front driveline rattles loudly at idle. 64XX hours. Front idle is at 750 rpm. Machine has lots of high heat/neglect issues. Should we be inspecting as a preventative measure?

GaryHoff

Occupation
They all seem to rattle to a certain extent. The Detroit engines didn't seem to have as many driveline issues as the Cummins did. Parts are getting rather difficult to get, so knowing what you need before it completely fails is always good. The front engine couplers aren't as prone to failure, but your splines on the yolk may be worn out. Any recent drivetrain issues.

Questionable wizard

No drivetrain issues. We've have this machine for three years. It came from the Richie Bros problems disposal auction with a fresh coat of paint(first warning). I've been fighting issues with the rear engine TPS, IVS, and BPS among other things. So it hasn't gotten very many hours. The rear engine codes for those sensors is intermittent. As soon as the engine is shut down and restarted, the problem goes away for 5 minutes-1/2 day. Can't replicate what causes the codes. Replaced those sensors and the engine harnesses up to the neck. Leaning toward a broken solder connection in the rear ECM. Seriously looking into a datalogger to connect to track the sensor voltages/grounds over operating time before replacing the rear ECM. Not much support in this part of North America for these machines.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Front and rear ECMs should be the same, but with different software. You could swap them for testing purposes. Any exact fault codes would help. You may also want to swap the throttle pedals for testing first.

gearhead74

Thanks for the quick reply!
The machine is a 2006 with 5.9 Cummins tier 2 in front and back. Mechanic has removed the hydraulic pump stack, transmission pump from machine and started it without parasitic loads and it still “chugs” and vibrates then takes off. I believe the idle is at 700 rpm. Cummins came out and adjusted the idle and checked out the engine however still “chugs”. Machine has a new coupler and rebuilt drive. Maybe 1/16” free play in the driveshaft before engine turns. When it “chugs” excessive rattling noise from rear drive can be heard as well as during engine shut down. Not sure if/when transmissions have been calibrated. I know they shift because we recently had to replace voltage protection module for power to ecu’s. Engine runs good however does its “chugging” when first started in the morning. It does not matter if it is 20-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Engine will “chug” and eventually break the driveline. “Chug” condition can be duplicated if the machine is idling and the hydraulics are actuated. Transmission was recently resealed by John Deere dealer and they said everything looked good inside. Problem existed before jd resealed transmission. We are not sure which way to go without throwing expensive parts at it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Did Terex update/replace that entire drive to eliminate that noise?
Thanks
hello did anyone ever come up with a good fix for theses terex scrapers with the driveline issues ?there is three here all with 5.9 cummins all 2006 all three have broke driveshafts yolks ,couplers , we replaced anything that was worn out had heavier driveshafts made and balnced yolks made up heat treated was stilll cheaper than buying one from terex ,but yet with all this done all three machines continue to break ,the new heavier driveshafts have not failed now its the u joints ,yolks or inout shafts on engine and transmisson side always front engines never the rear

Questionable wizard

I'll add on to the other post you made the other day. There were less than 70 TS14Gs built with Cummins(strike one for product support- low numbers). Terex bailed on the scrapers after the last recession other than selling parts. There is no service support from the OEM, no terex dealers, all technicians have scattered(strike two). I believe the scraper and terex trucks parts are now owned by Volvo group(strike three). Somebody please correct me if that's wrong. So you have a product that few were built, no support, and a competitor/owner which is allowing the product to die the slow death.
The problem I explained in your other post, the Cummins engine rotation at idle, is not smooth(engine problem). There is a speed up and slow down every revolution of the crankshaft. Like Gary mentioned and I relayed, the jerkiness of the driveline is reduced at a faster slow idle(i.e.- 950rpm or better).
You could make the heaviest drive line possible and the next weaker link will break(you have to solve the root cause of the problem-a different driveline is only a bandaid). Making sure the drive coupler is in good shape, and increasing your slow idle will solve most of your problems.
The only other thing you might try is contacting Cummins to see is there is another QSB engine application which uses a heavier flywheel, but then you may have issues fitting the drive coupler inside the pump drive housing. It wouldn't be hard to make a thicker spacer ring for the flywheel housing to accommodate a wider flywheel.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I'll add on to the other post you made the other day. There were less than 70 TS14Gs built with Cummins(strike one for product support- low numbers). Terex bailed on the scrapers after the last recession other than selling parts. There is no service support from the OEM, no terex dealers, all technicians have scattered(strike two). I believe the scraper and terex trucks parts are now owned by Volvo group(strike three). Somebody please correct me if that's wrong. So you have a product that few were built, no support, and a competitor/owner which is allowing the product to die the slow death.
The problem I explained in your other post, the Cummins engine rotation at idle, is not smooth(engine problem). There is a speed up and slow down every revolution of the crankshaft. Like Gary mentioned and I relayed, the jerkiness of the driveline is reduced at a faster slow idle(i.e.- 950rpm or better).
You could make the heaviest drive line possible and the next weaker link will break(you have to solve the root cause of the problem-a different driveline is only a bandaid). Making sure the drive coupler is in good shape, and increasing your slow idle will solve most of your problems.
The only other thing you might try is contacting Cummins to see is there is another QSB engine application which uses a heavier flywheel, but then you may have issues fitting the drive coupler inside the pump drive housing. It wouldn't be hard to make a thicker spacer ring for the flywheel housing to accommodate a wider flywheel.
Is there room outside of the torsional damper to bolt on a ring of metal to add mass to the flywheel? It would have to be balanced with the flywheel of course.

mountainguyed67

I believe the scraper and terex trucks parts are now owned by Volvo group(strike three). Somebody please correct me if that's wrong.

This is Terex response to my asking who to get loader parts from now. I don’t know if scraper and trucks are owned by the same company, email information below should get you an answer.

1-28-2020
They now belong to Mecalac 888 632-2522.

Also, driveshafts might break if front and rear aren’t being driven at the same speed/ratio.

gearhead74

hi and thanks for the reply back i am blow away that there were less than 70 of the ts 14 gs built with 5.9 cummins they definetly have not been very rleiable thats for sure

gearhead74

he
llo are the ts 14 g s with the 6.7 cummins are they having driveline issues as well ?or this a better engine than the 5.9 cummins

Questionable wizard

I was not aware Terex installed 6.7L Cummins. Last one off the line was August 30th, 2010. I'd have to look up when the 6.7s were introduced by Cummins. The advertising doesn't mention anything about them, only 5.9. I've seen one for sale which the picture of the engine serial number tag showed 6.7L. Possibly a replacement engine. I don't know the idle characteristics of the QSB 6.7.
I'm in the middle of rebuilding the transmission in our G. After seeing the size of the clutch pack plates and discs, I wouldn't want to put any more horsepower to them. They are maxed out! I know somebody in NZ who replaced the Funk DF150 transmissions with DF250s because he had so much trouble. But he operates in some pretty steep terrain with 12" sideboards on the bowl.
The S17E used the DF250 transmission.

Questionable wizard

The Cummins machines started at S8531011 I believe in 2005. The highest S853XXX I've seen for sale was S8531049. 2007 or '08 started the S914XXX machines at S9141011. The highest one I know of is S9141020
No other machines on the market to compete in this class.
If Terex had maintained a reliable owner and kept refining the TS14G's, they'd had a superior machine. The refinement was sputtering to a halt in the early 2000s. The reason the Cummins were installed was they were certified to meet emissions. The contract for Navistar to supply Detroit engines ended about 2003- '04.

Last edited:

gearhead74

The Cummins machines started at S8531011 I believe in 2005. The highest S853XXX I've seen for sale was S8531049. 2007 or '08 started the S914XXX machines at S9141011. The highest one I know of is S9141020
No other machines on the market to compete in this class.
If Terex had maintained a reliable owner and kept refining the TS14G's, they'd had a superior machine. The refinement was sputtering to a halt in the early 2000s. The reason the Cummins were installed was they were certified to meet emissions. The contract for Navistar to supply Detroit engines ended about 2003- '04.
hi and thanks for the reply ,i am not sure what to about these three scrapers would be nice to put a bigger flywheel to take the rattle out of engine ,but then again would that fix the problem and where would one start lol

gearhead74

hi and thanks for the reply ,i am not sure what to about these three scrapers would be nice to put a bigger flywheel to take the rattle out of engine ,but then again would that fix the problem and where would one start lol
we were also talking yesterday about possibly installing a different engine all together in these and scrapping the cummins but then with all the electronics where would you begin with that swap over ,an old screaming detroit in there would be kinda neat but then would have to put pedals in cab for throttle etc