• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The low-bidder; or "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Track Pads..."

norite

I have been to wrecking yards where undercarriages were in similar shape, but the excavator they were using was in similar condition and you just wondered when they would decide to scrap the whole machine.

I think the thing that stands out about these pictures is that a fairly new machine has been so neglected.

None of my equipment is new, all have some scrapes and scratches from normal use but I wouldn't put an excavator out on a job without track pads, hope this doesn't become the new normal.

joispoi

Maybe they started changing the pads over to rubber and then then landed that job?

I highly doubt that the pads simply fell off from over-use and neglect.

What are the funky looking pads on the left side track?

Looking past the silly track pad situation, the machine seems clean and straight.

Colorado Digger

No sympathy from me whatsoever on this subject. It is guy's like this that ruin our industry and create problems. All my iron is paid for and I can still afford to keep it clean and in a presentable manner. I doubt this machine is even paid for, not that I know the guy but first appearances say a lot. If I really needed work and got beat by a company like this I would throw a s..t fit. But really, it is the fault of the G.C or whoever hired him for supporting this type of activity. Around here, the G.C's that hire cheap and shoddy can have cheap and shoddy. If you want quality, you need to pay for a quality company with a good reputation with well maintained iron, I am not say brand new...just well maintained. I could go on forever, this is the reason why so many of us have struggled for so long, because guy's like this get hired. I wonder if his insurances and bond's are up to date and correct as well. I think it is lame and have no respect for this type of activity.

Regards, CD

Oxbow

While we don't know the story behind the picture, and I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that there was some application that made it wise to remove pads (though I can't come up with a logical scenario) I completely agree with CD.

Good competition is indeed good for the industry, and those that are about to go under hurt everybody else.

Me1magoo

They could not have fallen off like that. I have to imagine that they needed the clearance to squeeze in there and took off just enough? I have seen undercarriage literally falling off the machine and still had all the tracks pads (some were cracked and split and missing pieces). That machine is not old enough to have broken all those pads off.

Randy88

I"m not sure I follow your guys logic on this one, you'd be upset if this guy beat you out of the job, but who in their right mind would want to work for someone who'd hire him with machines looking like that, I'd personally say it says volumes about the person doing the hiring, more than the guy who owns and runs this excavator.

On the subject of low ball operators going broke, they have always been going broke, that's what got them into the situation in the first place, poor management and bad decisions, not to mention more than likely poor quality work, they didn't wake up one morning and decide to cut costs and do work far cheaper than anyone else, they've always operated that way. I've never felt bad about a single job I lost due to a low bid, it works both ways, every job you get you underbid someone else, to your competition your the low bidder. I always figured the jobs I got under bid on, just allowed me time to go do a job I could make money on and the one who underbid me was now busy and wouldn't bother me on the next job I did, but everyone looks at it differently. I'll stay home rather than a bid a job too low or at a loss, but not many think that way today, I feel my time is worth something to me, and if I can't turn a profit, I may as well save my time and equipment.

Axle

Occupation
electronics tech
He's working in sand, he's got the 'sand paddle' option... =-)

Alex.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
after a second look I think those strange looking pads are relay rubber pads with out the rubber. and on this side they are steal pads with out the steal.

Dwan

tctractors

The few pads he has managed to bolt on/left on, are fitted facing the wrong way? I have seen some rough old junk running around Sites in the U.K. that even the Scrap Men would mavel at, but this little swinger looks in near fit order other than its missing a few bits.
tctractors