• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The "not so heavy equipment" photo thread

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Thanks for the referral Jeff, I'll get them in my phone. One of the guys that's no longer at Kubota told me about a shop over that way a couple of years ago. I couldn't remember where it was or the name, but that's it. I sure wish folks around here would advertise so they could be found by more than word of mouth!

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
JNB is the Dodge a 6.7 or 5.9? I've had really good luck out of my Dodges but did have to replace a turbo on the flatbed back in December. My nieghbor is having similar issues as you with his and they told him the computer is going out. Something with the fuel logic.

JNB

Occupation
It's a 5.9. Funny, my wife was talking to her farrier and he had the same problem with his truck. He was in Kansas at the time and the dealer traced it down to the ignition switch of all things. So my wife starts searching it out and found an article that outlines a ton of problems associated with the switch... shut-downs, no starts, check engine light, limp mode and rail pressure codes among other things. Who knows?

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I'm sure they will get it figured out, even some of the best shops have trouble sometimes. A friend of mine has 20+ years experience with the Dodge/Cummins and has had his own shop for about 12 years now. He says he still gets stumped and some issues are a little tricky. I wouldn't sell it unless you plan on buying a brand new one to replace it, at least you know what you got now. I know people with 400k plus on the 5.9's you just gotta keep fixing them. LOL

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Land Management, Fencing, Metal Buildings, Arenas,
Ive always bought used, traded off trucks every 2-3 years, and never got into many issues with them. 4- 5.9 trucks, even had a Sterling single axle semi 10 speed with an M-11+ Cummings in it, then got screwed by some troopers, sold what I had and bought a brand new 2011 Cummins 4500 with the aisin transmission. It's been a beast of a truck with 11.5' flatbed. I'll haul 32k# with it easily. I dont have an issue with any emissions crap on it, that stuff went MIA around 800 miles of owning it. Going back to payments wasn't fun though, and I wasn't aware at the time but they slap a $10k commercial vehicle fee on it at time of purchase, crazy.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Nothing wrong with buying used pick ups, I buy both new and used depending on what the truck is to be used for. I just don't like trading things because of a few issues just to buy something else that may or may not have issues. Of course there comes a point to let it go. I usually let my mechanic tell me when to do that. We've been friends forever so that helps.
I hope JNB got the Dodge rolling again without spending an arm and a leg. Diesel repairs can add up quick.

JNB

Occupation
It's been awhile, so I figured it's about time that I updated my thread.

Installed a 60' culvert pipe entrance and sloped safety ends.
Truck02.jpg Truck03.jpg Truck04.jpg

Starting the driveway. The landowner has a couple of semi rigs so everything was upsized for room to maneuver.
Truck05.jpg

JNB

Occupation
This area has great select fill 2' down, so I dug a couple borrow pits to get to the good material for the 4000 sq ft house and 5000+ sq ft shop pads.
Truck07.jpg

I had the boy out for a couple of days to consolidate topsoil piles and get in some good seat time.
Truck10.jpg

Spreading out some of the 17 semi loads of roadbase used on this job. The material likes to separate, and using a tooth bucket actually helps a bunch.
Truck11.jpg Truck14.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Looks great JNB! I like those pre-cast headwalls.

It make's me smile bringing your boy to work with you, some of the fondest memories I had as a child was going to work with father.;)

He taught me how to work, earn money and be a man.

JNB

Occupation
My 14 year old in the first pic asked his mom of he really had to go back to school. He likes the taste of a little green I guess. And I mean a little green. :D

JNB

Occupation
Pics of a clearing job a few weeks ago.
Clear01.jpg Clear02.jpg Clear04.jpg

The bamboo was real thick and a real pita.
Clear06.jpgClear07.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My 14 year old in the first pic asked his mom of he really had to go back to school. He likes the taste of a little green I guess. And I mean a little green. :D

Right on!:drinkup

I started working summers full time around the age of 13, I enjoyed going to work with the guys and also enjoyed the green. I had spending money that I could buy what I wanted, within reason on a $2 hour wage.:tong

Thought I was in high cotton and it taught me how to work and earn what you want in life.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
JNB your work is impressive it's not very often you see a finished product like the ones you've posted. How are you liking the Kubota? I'm still wanting to trade up for a Case TV380 or a SVL90, also looking at the SVL75. I noticed your trailer is a single wheel, any trouble with the wieght of the Kubota? I know they are heavy machines.

JNB

Occupation
Thanks JS. I'm very happy with the SVL90. I actually would have been fine with an SVL75, but I wanted the higher lifting ability and stability when setting the 6:1 precast culvert ends that TxDOT specs. We do quite a few of them each year. I can't suggest the Case you mentioned. I'm done with that brand. I will say that my old TR320 did grade quite well, but I absolutely hated the way the TV380 felt FWIW.

I'm pushing it with the weight of the 90 on my trailer. I run the machine pretty far forward with a lot of pin weight to keep things legal and use G-rated tires as well. The problem comes when I stick a heavy cutter on there too, so my plan is to go with a heavier spec'd trailer with super singles this year. I'd go with a shorter/lighter bumper pull, but I need the 20+5 length to haul 30' culvert pipes legally. I seem to work on a lot of dead end roads with small turnarounds, and being able to back under the tongue is really handy.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Thanks for info on the Case. I really like my Case 450 and liked the newer Case I sat in a few weeks ago. I'll probably end up with a Kubota though. The 75 would work for me but bigger is better most of the time. I may just see what I can get the best deal on.
I hear ya about trailers being to long. Reason I ask about the single wheel is I have a 20+5 with singles and a 31+5 with duals both are nice trailers and pull good but the 36 is just too long and hard to turn around. I really need to sell it and get a 30' but sometimes the extra 6' comes in handy. The G rated tires do help. I ended up putting 14 plys on my cattle trailer because of having so many flats.

Landclearer

Thanks for the photo updates JNB. I always like looking at your work. Top notch for sure.

Glad you like the Kubota. We have been very happy with ours. Only thing to watch for is bottom rollers. We had one go out and might have another on the way.

JNB

Occupation
Thanks for the photo updates JNB. I always like looking at your work. Top notch for sure.

Glad you like the Kubota. We have been very happy with ours. Only thing to watch for is bottom rollers. We had one go out and might have another on the way.

Thanks for the info. I know you guys operate in sand quite a bit. How many hours on your machine?

Landclearer

It seems as though sand .likes to destroy every kind of undercarriage:mad: I will have to check but I think it is real close to 750 hours.