• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The perfect 10/10 for dozer diving

skyking1

tucked in close to the bridge like that, it would be almost impossible to lay down on the tracks. A straight crane pick is the solution, but that bridge probably could not take the crane.

JPV

I have heard a story of a cable blade D-7 around here that somehow went over an edge building road in the woods and jump roped the blade when the cable broke, it landed on its tracks with the blade behind it. I guess the operator said it felt like it teetered up there for what seemed like forever before it decided which way it wanted to go. That would have been a sight to see!

skyking1

I had my poor 350b crawler loader at 90 degrees to that picture and completely buried in a slope, with dirt above the tank behind and over the tracks in front, with the bucket sitting on top of the muck. Those built in chain hooks and the help of a couple of carpenters and we wriggled it out without an assist.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That would be like flipping a penny onto a table and having it land and stop on edge. Is there any documentation of that accident?

Crummy

Any machine I ever had would have immediately fallen over because the hydraulics bled off right quick and/or blasted one side of the angle cylinder lines and taco'd the other. Built Cat tough.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That truck looks like both rear struts collapsed. That tire also looks like it was cut straight across the tread. Maybe it is a recap that failed?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Any machine I ever had would have immediately fallen over because the hydraulics bled off right quick and/or blasted one side of the angle cylinder lines and taco'd the other. Built Cat tough.

That's what I was thinking. Surprised it didn't blow one of the angle cylinders when it hit. Talk about balance.

Bluox

That tractor has System One undercarriage, you know the balanced undercarriage.
I have a picture around here of a small dozer sitting vertical on its back end in the middle of a paved road after it backed off a high bank.
Bob

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The wheelbase looks.....wrong.

I agree. In addition the fuel tank is up against the front tire with the wheel appearing to be headed straight ahead, it can't turn with that clearance. It looks like the tank could be skewed forward. It looks like the rear tire on the drive's side is off the rim too. It would be interesting to know the story behind it, seems to defy logic.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In addition the fuel tank is up against the front tire with the wheel appearing to be headed straight ahead, it can't turn with that clearance. It looks like the tank could be skewed forward. It looks like the rear tire on the drive's side is off the rim too. It would be interesting to know the story behind it, seems to defy logic.
There isn't a lot of clearance between the front of the hydraulic tank and the RH front wheel anyway. I thought the steering was turned slightly to the right but either way there still doesn't look as though there is enough clearance.
I wonder if it was struck by lightning hard enough for the exploding tyres to displace the hydraulic tank forward.?
That usually has pretty disastrous effects on tyres.

upload_2022-4-18_20-29-2.png