• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

the start of the new job

345cl

Occupation
excavator operator in the sewer bussiness
thought id put up some pics for those are interested,we have finally began our sewer and water and road job,weve have started with this intersection being its the most complex and all streets connect to this one intersection,,in the pictures youll see some gas lines , telephone fiber optics and hydro we had to cross,,i couldnt use the 345 for this being its just to big to work around the utilites,,so i used the 314,,its a beautiful machine for this type of work,i love my 345 but this little bug gets into all the hard to reach spots,,the manhole i put down after was 13 tons,,it made the boss sweat a little lifting this over the utilites,,thats why i love this job the more the challenge the better the fun,,, the old sewer we connected to was put in the ground in 1910,,what i find truly remarkable is for its age its still in good shape,,the other side to this i said to my boss just think back to the day when the people put these pipes in the ground no a/c there thats for sure pic and shovel,,the inspector from montreal told us that they still have photos and documents from back then,,they say on a good day they could lay about a 100 ft of pipe 12 months a year,,holy crap thats alot of bricks,,,
anyway hope you guys like the pics ill send more as i start the main line,,,,,:)

Attachments

• DSC00097(1)a.jpg
    DSC00097(1)a.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,605
  • DSC00098(1)a.jpg
    DSC00098(1)a.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,598
  • DSC00099(1)a.jpg
    DSC00099(1)a.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,594
  • DSC00100(1)a.jpg
    DSC00100(1)a.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,587
  • DSC00101(1)a.jpg
    DSC00101(1)a.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,583
Last edited:

345cl

Occupation
part 2

:)just a couple more pics enjoy !!

Attachments

• DSC00102(1)a.jpg
    DSC00102(1)a.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,577
  • DSC00105(1)a.jpg
    DSC00105(1)a.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,574
  • DSC00106(1)a.jpg
    DSC00106(1)a.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,573

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
345cl, Those are some good pics. My father ran across some hollowed out octogon shaped pipe at ASU. You know that had to be old too. Is that RCP sewer main you are going to lay? ZAXIS

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
services

Nice pics 345cl and an intresting job too. I know some guys hate digging around services and poking the unknown, but it sure keeps you on your toes. In the UK it seems to be the bigger the machine the bigger the dumptruck you spend all day looking at :Banghead
At least you guys get to do some sexy stuff as well. Have fun :)

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Nice work 345cl...That's the kind of job that'll seperate the men from the boys.Especially if you get through the maze and don't break anything.:notworthy

I'm on a similar deal right now, only it's all brand new utilities I'm working around. The guy that installed most of it has a GPS in his hoe, so he has a model of the entire system. Then, along comes this unfortunate sap to probe around completely blind with no GPS, redigging around everything for site light conduit, etc. I'll admit, I did manage to "find" a 15" storm drain line while digging to find the end of a 1" conduit.:eek: I raked across the top and opened it up. No idea it was there in my line, and the boss never said a word. I just sliced 32" out of it and put 2 collars on it, good as new.:drinkup

345cl

Occupation
345cl, Those are some good pics. My father ran across some hollowed out octogon shaped pipe at ASU. You know that had to be old too. Is that RCP sewer main you are going to lay? ZAXIS

yes sir !!! :)

345cl

Occupation
Nice work.will you upload video of it in youtube?But wait a minute,where is your 324d?

the 324d is coming next week it went to get the pipes fitted for a hammer theres a bit of rock here,and instead of abusing the 345 we are going be smart and use a hammer,,heres a pic of our new arrival ,,now i have three to take care of ,,ill post some more pics in a week or so,,and wants we start rollin with the main ill have some videos as well,,,,,:) have a great day

Attachments

• DSC00095(1)a.jpg
    DSC00095(1)a.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,427

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
Are your utility pipes colour coded now like yellow for gas, blue for water, purple for telecoms, etc etc ?

Martyn

345cl

Occupation
Nice work 345cl...That's the kind of job that'll seperate the men from the boys.Especially if you get through the maze and don't break anything.:notworthy

I'm on a similar deal right now, only it's all brand new utilities I'm working around. The guy that installed most of it has a GPS in his hoe, so he has a model of the entire system. Then, along comes this unfortunate sap to probe around completely blind with no GPS, redigging around everything for site light conduit, etc. I'll admit, I did manage to "find" a 15" storm drain line while digging to find the end of a 1" conduit.:eek: I raked across the top and opened it up. No idea it was there in my line, and the boss never said a word. I just sliced 32" out of it and put 2 collars on it, good as new.:drinkup

thanks for the comment my boss thinks im a little crazy around the utilities,,just due to the fact the more there is,, the happier i am espcieally when im using the 345,,i always told him it makes the job more funand more challenging,,but tell me how do like digging with gps ive never seen or tried it let me know ,,,and judging by what you said it sounds lke you got some fun stuff going on there to,,,happy digging :)

345cl

Occupation
Are your utility pipes colour coded now like yellow for gas, blue for water, purple for telecoms, etc etc ?

Martyn

well actually in the newer parts of town the gas is always yellow,,but if you look at the pictures i posted youlll see they put the gas line inside a old meatl water pipe,,here there like to does years ago they figured it would protect the gas,but when metal starts to rust it gets sharp,and finding the gas gets some much more fun,,and as far as hydro telephone ,fiber optics go,,the mark it for us and the rest is up to us ,usually there poured in concrete but some places they lay the pipe and just back fill on top no caution tape no sand no gravel just dirt,,,thats why i have a very good ground guide with me at all times i never dig blind and never dig alone,,,:)

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
the 324d is coming next week it went to get the pipes fitted for a hammer theres a bit of rock here,and instead of abusing the 345 we are going be smart and use a hammer,,heres a pic of our new arrival ,,now i have three to take care of ,,ill post some more pics in a week or so,,and wants we start rollin with the main ill have some videos as well,,,,,:) have a great day
345CL, This may be a DUMB question, but what is the difference between a 324 & a 325 Cat Excavator??? ZAXIS

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
The 325 was discontinued, the 324 replaces it and the 325 became the 328......but I could be wrong. Cat has the weirdest numbering systems for the hoes.

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
I was digging a trench for the gas company to install lateral to a new home and scraped across an unmarked utility that turned out to be a 12" water main made out of old growth redwood with a steel band spiraled along the outside to keep it from bursting. This pipe was probably installed in the early 20th century.

armadillo

well actually in the newer parts of town the gas is always yellow,,but if you look at the pictures i posted youlll see they put the gas line inside a old meatl water pipe,,here there like to does years ago they figured it would protect the gas,but when metal starts to rust it gets sharp,and finding the gas gets some much more fun,,and as far as hydro telephone ,fiber optics go,,the mark it for us and the rest is up to us ,usually there poured in concrete but some places they lay the pipe and just back fill on top no caution tape no sand no gravel just dirt,,,thats why i have a very good ground guide with me at all times i never dig blind and never dig alone,,,:)

They probably pulled the gas line threw the old water line so all they had to dig were the survice laterals.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I was digging a trench for the gas company to install lateral to a new home and scraped across an unmarked utility that turned out to be a 12" water main made out of old growth redwood with a steel band spiraled along the outside to keep it from bursting. This pipe was probably installed in the early 20th century.

Not uncommon for older utilities...they dug them up in Boston on the Big Dig and they sometimes find them in Hartford, CT from 150+ years ago.

BTW Nice pics and the 324 is lookin' good!

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Great photos 345cl,
Are you going to use the 324 on this job as well?
Looking forward to seeing more photos of your progress:cool2

The 325 was discontinued, the 324 replaces it and the 325 became the 328......but I could be wrong. Cat has the weirdest numbering systems for the hoes.

Not quite, it's confusing I agree, but I think this is how it works

The 324d replaced the 322c
The 328d LCR replaces the 325c LCR
The 325 L has continued as a D-series machine (just checked cat.com to make sure I was right). I"m not 100% about everything aspect of it, but that's how I understand it, I think:beatsme