• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Ultimate Medium Dozer?

Cam85

I would like 2 c a d7 with a pendualating under carriage and slope meter not just left and right percentage but also ford and back big enough so as we know 4 sure wat gradient we are on when doing batter work have made my own like a crude batter board in the cab but a proper made thing how good would that b

MaDrill

Occupation
Operator
To me it's all a matter of budget, there are such beautiful rigs out there and, to me as an operator with low budget I would get one of the Kobelco type of thing, used, cheap, reliable with good worldwide support (almost), some like this: http://www.italiantrivelle.com/cons...lldozers/fiat-kobelco-d150-2003-used-395.html
But, if I am a good earnings company I would go with the best, CAT or Hitachi, like this one but new or D6: http://www.italiantrivelle.com/cons...lldozers/caterpillar-d4-h-overhauled-384.html
Also Hitachi makes interesting machines to me.
Cheers!

overworked

hello, i once come across somthing like this but i, think is funny but and now i understand that environment is the best teacher. i run a d6r series 2 with c9 engine for almost a decade nd now am having alot of problems with it inwhich some times i had odered a parts from abroad which is a waste of time so i decided to change the engine with 3306 DI, do you guys have any idea about what am trying to do.
Yep, I understand completely, my suggestion would be order a new c9 put it in and go back to work, or trade for a strait d6r. The wheel is already round, don't try to reinvent it, ben there, done that, my 2 cents

Pushysix

Occupation
gps dozer
Install some type of electro magnetic field that travels through entire machine not effecting any electrical components or producing any type of shock, only to repel water away from all metal therefore solving plugged tracks, rust and frozen dirt on blade.

MATAPA

Steve, I am a new member to the forum and would like to know how do I post a question to the members.
I am doing this post as a "reply" to your post since I do not know otherwise!

and while I am at it, here is my question:

I am trying to find out the year of a CAT D6H-LGP DOZER and the serial # is 3YG00363

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Steve, I am a new member to the forum and would like to know how do I post a question to the members.
I am doing this post as a "reply" to your post since I do not know otherwise!

and while I am at it, here is my question:

I am trying to find out the year of a CAT D6H-LGP DOZER and the serial # is 3YG00363

DOD May 10 1988

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yup. My vote for best Cat dozer ever. Especially the late model 6C's. Bet they would sell a few if they were to build them.

Cheers LB

I figure Cat would if they could but it wouldn't meet Tier standards for emissions.:cool2

oldirt

my idea of a great mid size dozer would be:
3306 tier zero all mechanical motor @200 hp
high track finals, 12' semi u blade
45000# working weight w/ripper 28" pads xl tracks so you could use a two axle lowboy to move
powershift with a lockup torque convertor that would unlock at low throttle for inching around, also with no e controls.
a real soundproofed cab that you can see out of.

nukem1

I figure Cat would if they could but it wouldn't meet Tier standards for emissions.:cool2

No, actually they would not. They offer repowerpackages for some 'newer' older machines...so that they can meet emmisions. It wouldn't be difficult to dig out an old design, change a few mounts and panels, and accomodate this type of wish. But, they'll never do it. Do some research on the type of machines they are offering in India and some of the other eastern countries with Tier 2 emmissions, presently. You'll find significantly less machine and cab electronics where there are little/no mechanics/techs able to service the more complicated modern machines we have here. Small operations and/or folks who try to do their own maintenance and rebuilds would strongly prefer these 3rd world machines, but you'll not find them here. Sad....

ncnswlogger

My dream dozer would be a Komatsu D85ex-15 which may be a little big but you can do small jobs as well as large one. Would be fitted with a air cab, heavy duty cannopy and cab guarding and sweeps, bull tilt blade with tree pusher. Would have a komatsu winch because they pull well and are built heavy. Anyway Dads knows someone who has owned a few dozers and the komatsu D85ex is the best machine he has ever had. He has owns a Komatsu D60E-8 like dads which has been teriffic machine for Dad. 2x Komatsu D65EX-15, owned a Cat D7G and not sure what else.

cattracks

I'm pleased with the progress that (Cat) well, all have made. I'm old school and...for the most part still like open cab w/ROPS and sweeps. Yes Sir, I' ran my first High track (D-8N) and fell in love with the ride, yes, and speed. Beat the hell out of that 46A and D-8k that I ran for many years. The company bought me a D9-R and yes, I was in love...of course it had a U-Blade. Wouldn't own a straight unless it was a 6-way.

Think back to...what was it, the D-6c or d model Cat, blade control up by your arm pit? What about the hour meters hidden underneath the floor boards?? All the high tracks that I've run (many) the seat is at an angle to make easier to rip (2 or 4 barrel).

Enclosed cabs have their place, I acknowledge that (again, loved that D-9R) however, if one needs to step away before it rolls (happened to me on an 8-H)...easy, off the uphill side track and I'm outahere. I ran a D-11N model and when summer time came around they would never get Cat or??? to fix the A/C. I told them one day, we need to fix it soon or, it's gonna be open cabbed. They drug their feet (called my bluff) and I took off the doors (yep, cut the water line and wires to the wipers)...still hotter than a bitch so, I went back and took out the back window. Sorry, it cracked upon removal but, I had a great comfortable afternoon of pushing. You're right!!!!! the owners were pissed X 10 but, they fixed the A/C!!

cattracks

The Best Reply So Far

Right on!!!!! Love the 46A, tougher than nails she is. U-blade and 2 barrel rippers, spent many years on em. Beat that new 8k all to hell...it couldn't take the extra 20 hp. Great way to go with that spacer plate...a quick 20hp!!!!

Roy9898

Steering combined brake prombem D6d

The steering and brakes are combine and was wondering if when you pulled the steering cluch lever the valve dumped the brake pressure or applied presure?

Josh2

We're aware that we have several major equipment manufacturers watching our board, I thought it might be interesting to hear from the members what they feel the ultimate dozer would be.

Let's consider a D5-7 sized machine, they are what I see most often around my area. If you were designing a dozer, what features would you add? It could be as simple as a seating position change or as crazy as some new electronic gizmo that would automatically perform some function. Put all your ideas here, who knows, maybe you'll see some of them incorporated in a future dozer.

After this thread has run its course, we'll move on to another type of machine.

Volvo L180 G-series wheel loader fitted with a 5.8m3 rehandling bucket that is optimized in shape and larger than the 4.6m3 general purpose bucket. This, coupled with the boom suspension and rehandling counterweight, provides faster filling times, a higher fill factor and up to 10% improved fuel efficiency.

Beaver Hat Bill

Occupation
parts salesman and blog writer
As a former logging road builder in Upper Michigan I always thought a high drive dozer with an up/down adjustable drive sprocket height and equipped with track adjusters and lower roll frame that would extend when ever the sprocket is lowered so the tracks could extend or retract depending on the ground situation.
I know it's a little far fetched but if you never ask.......

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Ive been wanting to post here for a while, but didn't figure I had enough experience credit.

But there are some things that need to change to bring dozers into the modern world.

Ag tractors have a load of features that make life easier for the operator/ tech. I suspect its because the guy who runs and fixes it, also makes the payment. So convenience features drive sales.

To begin with, the cab has to go. I'm not a big guy, but getting in and out is still a head bashing, hip pounding experience. Its a relief to finally reach the seat where its safe. Oh crap, I forgot to turn on the electric disconnect....

Biggen the cab. Find another place for the bats and hyd system, push the sides out, fill the space with ballistic glass. Get a training seat inside. Another great feature of ag tractor cabs is how the doors fit at the floor. The cab floor is high in the centre, and slopes down to the doors. When you open the door you create an unobstructed path for dirt and mud to fall out. The cab floor cleans itself. Brilliant!

Visibility! Considering the level of safety awareness in the industry, its hard to believe the cab is still allowed. Day 1 training with new guys at my place involves putting them in the seat and showing them how little visibility there is. Men working near the dozer are in mortal danger because the operator simply cant see them. Way too much steel in the cab frame, rops, etc etc etc. Add a couple monitors and the gets way worse.

I realize the cab is intended to last as long as the frame, and it takes a pounding from the type of work dozers get into. But for every guy who needs protection from flying debris, trees, falling objects, and objects flung up by the tracks, there are 100 guys wishing they could see the blade better, or had a place for a lunch cooler.

Mine has an eco valve on the trans oil dump. There has to be a better way. It takes too many hours to drain cold oil out of that hole. Make it bigger or something.

The hydraulic oil tank drain is over the track shoe. Works great for oiling the tracks, but not for getting the oil into a drain bucket.

I concur with others. Brakes work like hitting a bridge abutment. They've been using brakes on things for a few years now, and they generally modulate pretty well.

Swing out radiators for cleaning. Such an easy idea its hard to believe its not in place already.

Belly pans that remove themselves. Not rocket science either. Pickup truck spare tires have a hand crank winch for lowering and lifting the tire into position...

On the plus side is the high drive. Cleaning tracks is so easy. Getting the finals out of the dirt. Makes too much sense. Might cost a little more, but I think its worth it.

I like how they standardized to one size wrench. The other day we removed both tracks, installed new idlers, new carrier roller, new cutting edges, all with one socket. Nice.

Diff steer works great. Tiller handle is intuitive.

Those are some of my ideas anyway. Nothing that hasn't been said before...

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
backup camera,seat might be shifted a bit on cats but still hurts my kneck after bouncing around all day,should be standard,they are only 240.00 $ been slowly installing them in every thing I have

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I listen to all those speaking of newer machines downfalls and tripping points and I see my forty year old Allis is right in there with them. Seems the industry has learned little while making strides in making the machines 'better'.