• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Water Eliminator

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
A while back we were having a discussion about water in our hydraulic oil and wondering how to remove it. Someone mentioned these Water Eliminator things and several of us jumped on board and bought some. They are made for gas but I think someone said the company also said they would work in oil.

I was doing an oil change on my machine that had extremely milky looking oil. I replaced the filter and about 25 gallons out of 38 in the system. I dropped one of these in the bottom of the tank to see if it would absorb any of the remaining water. The 25 gallons of fresh oil and filter change got the oil looking pretty clean and it has remained that way since I moved it in out of the weather. It it had to have at least 10-12 gallons of milky oil left in it. I assume the oil recirculates through the cylinders as it gets used and that oil mixes with the new stuff.

The other day I was replacing my filler cap and pulled the water absorbing thing out to check it. I am sorry to report I didn't see any sign of it absorbing any water. To test and see if it still had any capability I put it in a pan with 100 ml of water. The crystals swoll up and absorbed about half the water and filled about half the screen tube.

Even if it would have absorbed all of the 100ml of water I couldn't justify the expense for them. I paid fifty something bucks for 4 of them.

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

cosmaar1

A while back we were having a discussion about water in our hydraulic oil and wondering how to remove it. Someone mentioned these Water Eliminator things and several of us jumped on board and bought some. They are made for gas but I think someone said the company also said they would work in oil.

I was doing an oil change on my machine that had extremely milky looking oil. I replaced the filter and about 25 gallons out of 38 in the system. I dropped one of these in the bottom of the tank to see if it would absorb any of the remaining water. The 25 gallons of fresh oil and filter change got the oil looking pretty clean and it has remained that way since I moved it in out of the weather. It it had to have at least 10-12 gallons of milky oil left in it. I assume the oil recirculates through the cylinders as it gets used and that oil mixes with the new stuff.

The other day I was replacing my filler cap and pulled the water absorbing thing out to check it. I am sorry to report I didn't see any sign of it absorbing any water. To test and see if it still had any capability I put it in a pan with 100 ml of water. The crystals swoll up and absorbed about half the water and filled about half the screen tube.

Even if it would have absorbed all of the 100ml of water I couldn't justify the expense for them. I paid fifty something bucks for 4 of them.

View attachment 236438

View attachment 236439

View attachment 236440

Yes I was part of that bunch that bought them as well. I had two in my tank and I only use my machine every 3-4 weeks. I had quite a bit of water in my oil and followed the same thing you said about changing.

I too noticed no difference and chucked them both.

I was going to try the Pig Water Hog, but upon searching for a link to paste here, it looks like they discontinued them.

JPV

Thanks for the report. I must have missed that discussion but would have been very interested. It sounds like they are nothing to get excited about.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Perhaps these are not suited for oil. They are made for gasoline, which does not absorb or emulsify the water...Just thinking out loud??

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
One other note is I use Travelers Premium hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply. When I first got the machine the same oil would allow water to settle after I drained it and let it sit. More recently the water emulsifies in the oil and never separates. They must have changed or improved the additives. Before the last change I put a sample in a coffee jar and let it sit several months with no separation.

Most likely this absorber thing would have captured some water if it separated and sat on the bottom but 50ml of water removal per tube would be way more expensive than just changing the oil.

cosmaar1

One other note is I use Travelers Premium hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply. When I first got the machine the same oil would allow water to settle after I drained it and let it sit. More recently the water emulsifies in the oil and never separates. They must have changed or improved the additives. Before the last change I put a sample in a coffee jar and let it sit several months with no separation.

Most likely this absorber thing would have captured some water if it separated and sat on the bottom but 50ml of water removal per tube would be way more expensive than just changing the oil.

When I changed my oil, I don’t know what the previous owner used, but I put in 25 gallons of Chevron THF1000. It didn’t do anything for me either.

lantraxco

I'm guessing the desiccant can only absorb free water. Petroleum based oils like engine and hydraulic will typically absorb water as an emulsion as they are mixed and heated and pressurized together. That's what causes the cloudy or milky look. Typically heating to 150+F will cause the moisture to release, or you can apply a vacuum to the oil, or find a way to keep dry air in the tank which will eventually remove excess moisture. Kidney loop filtration for several hours with water absorbing media filters will help some, as the oil is forced through the media some of the water gets separated from the oil and will lock into the media.

aighead

Ha, I just noticed the water eliminators I bought on a tool bench yesterday, hadn't put them in and kind of forgot about them. Thanks for the update!