• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Westfall Performer

MikeW79

My Grandfather Jack and his Brother Paul were in the business of building logging equipment after WW2. One of their machines they produced was a log skid steering tractor that was rubber tired. The basic principal of their design was that it had to perform it's essential functions easily, reliably, and in a cost effective package.

I have a lot of pictures and information laying around about their products and the history behind them.

About 16 years ago I was able to help my Grandfather rebuild one of his machines that we found in a scrap yard. It was in deplorable condition, yet we were able to make it live once again.

newperfromer.jpg

This is what we were able to do with it after much reconstruction. The arch had to be hand made, the dozer and ram were taken off of some other piece of equipment.

Photo was taken in 1998.

scan0006.jpg

Another of my Grandfather working the blade.

MikeW79

Here's a picture of a Perfromer sitting in front of one of their dealers dated May 7th, 1952. Could have been in the Tacoma Washington area? I believe this specific model was sold to Allison Logging Company.

scan0008.jpg

Last edited:

mitch504

Wow, that is a long wheelbase to be a skidsteer machine. Did it have trouble manuevering?

Please keep the posts coming. It is interesting to get it from the point of view of a family member.

MikeW79

Wow, that is a long wheelbase to be a skidsteer machine. Did it have trouble manuevering?

Please keep the posts coming. It is interesting to get it from the point of view of a family member.

It had a traditional, although limited, steering wheel system as well as the skid capability. A strong selling point for them was the speed at which it could haul logs over a standard track based tractor, and do so in places that made a truck/trailer a dangerous or unavailable option. Back then the restrictions on logging were relaxed, so most of the easy timber was gone or unavailable to harvest. People had to go to greater lengths to log. Places that were difficult to get to. My Grandfather and his brother Paul saw a need for the industry to speed up production.

scan0009.jpg

This is a Performer that the US Army purchased. According to Jack they bought 2. He mentioned that they were going to drop them out of perfectly good airplanes for use in an engineering role; whether that happened or not I do not know.

Last edited:

trakloader

There was an early KW up here, which I understand was basically the Performer built by Kenworth. I met the old fellow that used to run it, and he figured it was about the best skidder ever built. He said it could do dozer work almost as good as a cat, and faster. It was smoother riding than the Wagner or LeTourneau, and was very reliable. They never really caught on, though, since the Treefarmer came out soon after, at a much cheaper price. Any idea how many Westfall Performers were sold in BC? I've seen three, but they all had the KW logo.

MikeW79

There was an early KW up here, which I understand was basically the Performer built by Kenworth. I met the old fellow that used to run it, and he figured it was about the best skidder ever built. He said it could do dozer work almost as good as a cat, and faster. It was smoother riding than the Wagner or LeTourneau, and was very reliable. They never really caught on, though, since the Treefarmer came out soon after, at a much cheaper price. Any idea how many Westfall Performers were sold in BC? I've seen three, but they all had the KW logo.

I am not sure how many were sold in BC. I know after Westfall Equipment sold to Kenworth my grandfather and his team stayed on and built them for Kenworth for awhile. They made other machines as well and built those for KW too.

mitch504

Wow, thought I knew a lot about the history of logging equipment; but, I never knew KW built anything but trucks.
Thanks guys

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
Mike
I just picked up a KW -Westfall skidder that I will restore.I am intersted in any
info you might have, such as brochures or parts books. I have seen a restored KW
skidder in Invercargill New Zealand. Do you know how many have survived?When I
figure out how I will post some pictures. there is orange paint under yellow paint,
was the original color Allis Chalmer orange?

Doug

MikeW79

Hey Doug,

I only knew of one in exsitence that was still in service(somewhere in PA stateside I think), but it was burned up in a fire 5 or so years ago. The original color was yellow. KW painted them orange. I have all the original blue prints for the performer. As far as parts go you will have to fabricate your own. I know when we rebuilt the one here in Oregon, we spent alot of time making parts we could not find. Other stuff we took off of other equipment. If I can be of any assistance let me know. I would love to see the pictures you have!

MikeW79

KW built log stackers, too. Not sure if they were originally a Dart product, or another Westfall machine.

img_7800.jpg

Here is my Grandfather (at top) with the crew who built the Westfall product lines. This was their log stacker. When Kenworth bought them out they retained my Grandfather and his team to continue production of their products under the Kenworth name.

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
Westfall Skidder

Mike
What size chains did they use for final drives?
Can you send me a PM with your email?
Doug

alleyoop

Occupation
I am the house forman but dont tell her that
Mike w79 I am prezz. of the pacific northwest logging museum at powerland at brooks ,we have been in tuch with your people to come up and see the mach. you resto.give me a call 503 398 4626 or a pm or email thanks pat ,,,,,or alleyoop