• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Think I’m pushing my tractor to hard…

Earljr3rd

Two or three sources have listed the 580k 4x4 at around 9.1k pounds where the 580c 2 wheel drive is listed at 10.1k pounds. Honestly I like the lower weight as I’m fighting the need to upgrade my truck. My wife wants me to get f350 drw but I don’t transport in that weight range enough to justify it yet. Can rent a 3/4 ton for $300 a day.

I’m trying to get a hold of that 580k. With 4x4 and extend a hoe that seems like some where between a fair and good deal.

There’s things I like about the c and the k model but if it came down to two units both 2 wheel drive and comparable I’m leaning towards a c model. I like that the drive train is not all in one housing. If something went down on the k id probably just buy a refurb transaxle because I don’t want to pull it twice. The c because the clutch’s and transmission is more accessible id be less worried about rebuilding it myself if need be. Also won’t feel as much pressure to rebuild everything at once since it’s not all one unit.

All that said if that deal on the k pans out I’m going to get it, hard to pass up 4x4 and extend a hoe for only $3000 more….

Earljr3rd

Hmm… good to know, if that’s the case (pun intended) I won’t be able to haul the k home. Biggest trailer I can rent is a tandem 7k lb. That also totally blows my half ton out of the water. The newer f250 I can rent should able to haul it tho. Being able to use my half ton was one of the perks of a k model.

You guys know better than me so I’ll roll with the groups opinions that its heavier than I thought. Still not a deal breaker but I still can’t get the seller to reach out to me. Don’t think it’s a scam but odd that I can’t get them to contact me.

mitch504

I own a 580k that looks exactly like the one you show, and I use it a lot for loading out fertilizer and lime. It goes on the scales several times a year to weigh what's in the bucket, and it has an empty weight of just over 16,000 lbs. I don't know where that website got 9000 lbs, but they are definitely talking through their hat! Maybe the tractor with the loader and hoe removed? A c with 1100 lbs of counter weight instead of the hoe, (which I am sure weighs more than 1100lbs) weighs over 10,000 but I don't remember exactly.

My biggest customer (who owns the scales above) has a 580c with a counter weight in place of the hoe for a store loader, and it struggles to load the bucket from a packed lime pile if the ground is moist, and definitely has a hard time backing away from a pile with a full bucket, which takes weight off the drive wheels. My k will push into the pile until lime flows over the back of the bucket.

Wet brakes last many times longer than dry under the same conditions and have a heck of a lot more stopping power.

When they are parked side by side, the k is obviously bigger.

JBrady

I'd go with the 580K as well. That is still a relatively modern hoe, plenty of them still around. 4x4 and extenda hoe would be necessities for me. I have the next generation of case, a 590Super L. It is a great machine, very strong. I actually saw that 580K on facebook this morning when I was looking around. I guess we are not too far away from each other.

Earljr3rd

I'd go with the 580K as well. That is still a relatively modern hoe, plenty of them still around. 4x4 and extenda hoe would be necessities for me. I have the next generation of case, a 590Super L. It is a great machine, very strong. I actually saw that 580K on facebook this morning when I was looking around. I guess we are not too far away from each other.
Not terribly far,I’m an hour south of Little Rock Arkansas. It’s been listed for over a week if I recall. I think something off with it because I can’t get a response and no one has bought it. At that price I would think it would be gone.

My biggest use for it is the hoe. However I’m sure I’ll use the loader. Transporting dirt from one spot to another. Plus gravel. Spreading 140 tons of gravel products this week but that’s not a every month thing. Doing it all with my ck3510 at the moment. Even a 2 wheel drive should feel like a huge jump in production of my ck3510 right? A heaping bucket is a half yard with my ck3510.

I’ll see if I can hold out and find a 4x4. My buddies won’t be ready for another 3 weeks anyways.

Finca SDR

I hope those peeps get back to you about the K. Don't want to be a hater but a 2wd backhoe isn't really useful for rough land work. It's useful for loading gravel in the yard, or doing roadwork for the municipality. Not so much working on muddy farms. Especially if there's hills.

4wd backhoes are very useful. We do nuckin futs stuff here in the mountainous rainforest that probably deserve a different machine. But we do it cuz it's the most common machine around.

I'd hold out for a 4x4 hoe of one type or another. Good luck.

Earljr3rd

Finally got in touch with the guy. Said several hoses are bad but not leaking, e brake doesn’t work, and nothing on the instrument cluster works, so no gauges and no hour meter.

Finca SDR

Finally got in touch with the guy. Said several hoses are bad but not leaking, e brake doesn’t work, and nothing on the instrument cluster works, so no gauges and no hour meter.
Sounds great. Last year I was looking for a second hoe and lucked into a '00 580l for cheap. But I had to go looking for that machine because this old dude owner operator (who I'd call the competition that takes all my business except that he's been teaching me how to do this for several years now) was trying to sell me his '94 580k and then backed out at the last minute. I would have bought it no problem without a second thought. Awesome machine.

Go for the K if you have the cash in hand. It's a newer machine, it'll last that much longer. Don't be afraid of replacing hoses. And these things are relatively simple to work on once you learn how they work. (unless you gotta get inside the transmission or axles, that's a big heavy pain).

But if it turns on, pushes hard against a pile of dirt (hot) *stops*, steers, and the hydraulics will lift it off the ground go for it. That's a real machine, not no semi-applicable antiquity.

Check the metal for cracks too. Are you good at welding? If not you should learn, just saying...

Earljr3rd

Going to play around with my little tractor this morning. Take it out of four wheel drive and see if I would hate it.

The guy with the k model bought it four years ago to add septic install services to his plumbing business.

One thing going through my mind right now is ability to transport. The c model I can rent or buy a tandem 7k trailer and move it around town on back roads. The k model I really need to own a 1 ton and big trailer to move it. I haven’t even been able to find a trailer to rent that’s big enough. For $2500 more the k is the best choice, even if I spent another grand or so to a hauler and the k was $3500 more I still think it’s money well spent.

The unit will be on one site for several years and I can transport my little tractor for some projects. It would be nice to be able to move my big hoe if one of my rentals needs it tho, or I need something at my personal place.

Earljr3rd

Ok, I called a case dealership. 9.1k lbs is the loader tractor. They said the hoe is another 7-8k putting the unit around 17k. I think Richie specs, lectura specs and all those sites have the tractor loader weight excluding the hoe.

I cant weld if my life depends on it but my dad did it and taught it and inspected it most his life. I also have a welder that used to be the repair guy for a mining companys equipment. I did about 4 days worth of tractor work no charge cause he is a cool older guy. Ever since he is willing to help me with stuff like that. I need to let dad teach me….just haven’t had time with all my projects.

Earljr3rd

I’m mulling things over this morning. Sick and have a big day of paying work tomorrow so trying to keep myself inside and not working on my personal shops.

Goal is to attempt to decide something today. Kinda posting as I’m thinking.

The biggest need the unit fills for me is the hoe and digging. Looks like the buckets move about a yard of material where my little tractor moves a half yard. I can function with the little tractor for moving materials. My dad will most likely be in the little tractor on site anyways scooping material as I excavate it.

I have no doubt a 1 ton is a must buy down the road. However other than financing a little bit of the land I’m keeping my debts low and cash funding most of the project. So keeping recurring payments low and surplus funds is important for me. I think is a situation where the best value for sure is the 580k. I can get a retired government truck for around $20k and a heavy trailer between $5-$10k. I don’t think the extra payments for the truck however is worth the reduced surplus funds. However I could forego the truck and trailer since the unit will be at that one location for a long time. After my first unit is together and renting picking up another truck and trailer will be no issue….think I’m back leaning to the 580k. Quote to ship it is around $1,300. I do have buddies that would move it from time to time for me in town…..I think I could get around the 4x4 loader issues between the 2 options but the added weight of the k and the fact it’s newer is nice.

I really liked the idea of buying from my friend but I think this deal is worth going for. Just have to check it out really good. I wish I knew the hours but the hour meters on these are easy to tamper with anyways. Guessing 4-5k hours by the photos? They usually aren’t considered slap worn out until 8k hours right. I mean anything between 2.5-5k hours can go out, then between 5-8k hours stuff more frequently goes out but still a lot of life left and then after 8k hours I’ve read it’s one thing after another. Sound right?

csthompson12

Not sure if the 580k has a similar front axle to my newer 580…but I had a problem with the lower front king pins bearing cups wore through and wore into the axle housing. Then the only way to fix it good is to replace the axle…I also have hub seals leaking and loose u-joints on the front end that I need to fix one of these days.

The 4x4 is great, but also adds to upkeep and maintenance.. I also have a 2WD case that I use often.

aighead

Did you say how far you need to move it when you would need to? I say that as someone who drove a small farm tractor (Massey Ferguson 230) about 15 miles on the road a couple weeks ago. That being said I also am not terribly comfortable with more than 2 or 3 miles in my backhoe on the road, and even that I'd rather not do.

Like you said you can always hire out a mover as well, it'd take a fair amount of moves to add up to the $25-30k worth of truck/trailer. I know it's always better to have your own stuff to move things but I also understand being on a budget.

Tinkerer

The hours on any hour meter are kinda meaningless except for keeping track of them for service work.
The condition of the unit is what is important.
It could have 3000 hours and be a piece of junk. Or, it could have 7000 hours and be like new with the proper care.
If you drag your feet much longer that unit may get sold out from under you. Especially if the owner is offered a better price.

Finca SDR

Ha ha my 97 deere has almost 26000 hours on it and the 2000 case has to have at least close to that if not more. Both are awesome machines that just keep working. Around here if you don't put 1000 hrs on your machine per year its like "why do you have that thing?" mine are old by now and I only run them part time so they maybe get like 500 hrs/yr these days.

Get the K

Last edited:

boone

Ha ha my 97 deere has almost 26000 hours on it and the 2000 case has to have at least close to that if not more. Both are awesome machines that just keep working. Around here if you don't put 1000 hrs on your machine per year its like "why do you have that thing?" mine are old by now and I only run them part time so they maybe get like 500 hrs/yr these days.
Get the K

That's amazing. What's your maintenance secret and what oils do you run? Dealer oils or cheap stuff? I guess a lot of that has to do with running it often over short period of time. Mine sits a lot relative to yours, which does more harm than good.

Agreed on getting the newer K.

Finca SDR

That's amazing. What's your maintenance secret and what oils do you run? Dealer oils or cheap stuff? I guess a lot of that has to do with running it often over short period of time. Mine sits a lot relative to yours, which does more harm than good.

Agreed on getting the newer K.

Almost whatever oil is around for whatever. The only one I'm kind of careful with is legit tractor fluid in the transmissions (hygard). But they've gotten non detergent 40wt plenty of times. I figure it's not great but if it's got no Additives it's only diluting what's there and won't cause any disasters.

My front hubs leak oil too badly anymore so I fill them with grease and a teaspoon of oil.

Very little is "correct" with these tractors. Transmission synchronizers are stubborn, hydraulics getting weaker, cylinders drip a little, the deere burns oil like a weed whacker. But they were that way when I got them and who knows how long they've been working that way and how long they'll keep working. I've learned it's better not to mess with it if it's still functioning.

My main mechanic has taught me a lot about how to fix these things. Pull the part out weld it up and put it back. In severe cases take it to the machine shop. I wanna get a lathe...

Dealer parts are available but expensive. Sometimes I have to go through them. But There's generic truck filter places, bearing places, seal places etc. That keep me going cheaper and available here instead of ordering it from the capital.

I joke about putting fry oil in the hydraulics and that's not too far off but these machines get constant attention. It's like some people are obsessed with hot rods, others with motorcycles, some with monster trucks and others with bass boats. I had to decide I was going to be obsessed with old backhoes as a profession and a hobby but that's okay. It pays well enough and I like dirt and grease and construction and farming so it works well.

A funny detail, old machines are a lot cheaper here in the jungle than in the US market from what I've seen. The 97 deere was about 15k and the 2000 case I stole for about 12k. Both still street legal with tags and everything. Everything else is so expensive here in Costa Rica but I guess old pieces of junk are one we won out on. Newer machines are *expensive*.

Last edited:

boone

Almost whatever oil is around for whatever. The only one I'm kind of careful with is legit tractor fluid in the transmissions (hygard). But they've gotten non detergent 40wt plenty of times. I figure it's not great but if it's got no Additives it's only diluting what's there and won't cause any disasters...

I've got a '97 deere too. I'm glad to hear you can get that many hours out of one. I've not been too picky about the hydraulic oil, but transmission and rear end I do put Hygard. The hydraulics have a bit of Hygard, but I've put a mix of 10w-30 motor oil and TSC brand hydraulic fluid. The last bucket of hygard I bought was $100 for 5 gallons. When packing cylinders and replacing hoses, it's get expensive. Maybe when I have them all repacked I'll go with the good stuff.

I hear you on the old backhoes. I used to be into old cars, but my taste have changed toward heavy equipment. I keep trying to get my boys interested, but they haven't quite gotten the yellow fever yet.