• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

this just blew my mind

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Hmmm...did anyone notice the Home Depot and the fence in the background? And of course the RB sticker, but no DuPont/RB overhaul?

Our friend has one of these models, but it's an hour's drive from here...says it's a good little machine for working in the woods and such. Also likes the fact the cab shows where not to put your hands!

oldtimer53

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Detroit Diesel engines were fun to work on, very simple. That looked like a 4-71. Which is a dry sleeve engine, very prone to damaged rings from overheating. Liner fitting was a royal pain to get right, lots of honing, to get proper fit to block. The part I liked best was setting the rack. When you got a healthy engine dialed in, they really sounded cool, untill you had to run them all day. There are still a bunch of them out there, if you can get them to turn, they will start. Lots of smoke, and oil leaks.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Had one in the pit behind my house. It had a full cab. What sucks is when it dies with the boom arms up and the bucket on something so you can't drop it down, lol.:Banghead

atgreene

I ran one for several years when I got out of high school. It was a Hough with a 6 cylinder gas engine (Continental?) with a couple pieces of tin for a cab. Never had brakes, we shifted to reverse or vise versa to stop, even driving it around town. The rear steer took some getting used to but it worked good for loading. Wouldn't bother me to have one if I could find a good one.

Pushblock

Occupation
I own a stone masonry business and also do some li
I operated a straight frame loader back in 1980. It was an AC TL20. The brakes were a joke, the hydraulics slow, and when roading it you ended up pointed to every place you didn't want to go, whipsawing on the steering wheel all the way. I also had to build ramps to dump into high sided tri-axles. Other than that it was fun to operate.

atgreene

We always ran ours in reverse if we had to road it. Made for an interesting ride driving backwards, running the steering wheel backwards with no brakes.:eek:

Had a few close calls, like when it would stall with bucket up and roll backwards toward the edge of the pit (we were in a tiny pit built into the side of a hill). Hydros were slow dropping even with a full bucket. Stopped in time but I was half-way over the drop-off. Scared me to death.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Looks similar to this old Trojan I ran 15 years ago.
:cool:

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 942

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Hey Atgreene, funny you mention that. I've talked to some old time operators that used to run them old Michigan's and they said when they had to road them long distances they drove them backwards. What's the reason for that? Something to do with engine cooling or am I thinking of some other story? They used to be real popular in my area before my time. Those Michigans used to be the "big iron" in their time. I live in cottage country and you see them all over here parked down at peoples camps. You can get them for next to nothing and they live forever, so everyones got one for plowing their driveways in the winter.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Paystar, I think they were less jittery in reverse, the steering axle would in theory be moved to the front as most vehicles are. At road speed with the steering in the back, small adjustments can become major in a hurry.

iceberg210

We've got an old Allis TL-12 that is the same kind of thing. (Although a lot smaller). That thing is a great loader, especially visibility is great since you're right there by the bucket. The old rear steers are good machines and having only operated those when I recently ran my first articulated loader it took a lot of getting used to.

We have an old Hough loader like those pictured above. We always roaded it in reverse to. This loader went quite abit faster in reverse, so I think that is the reason for going backwards when roading.

surfer-joe

They were faster in reverse, and the camber built into the rear (steering) axle allowed them to be steered much better in reverse. Maybe the reason my neck is screwed up today, well, partly to blame anyway. Roading Hough H's we sat on the front cowling facing the rear with the steering column between our legs and a heel on the thottle. Go like hell you bet!

Rick Rowlands

2030108300033749120lydsBc_fs.jpg

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Here is my Allis Chalmers TL16DA Tractoloader which I just traded off recently. I used it for 3 years moving dirt, grading and carrying around whatever I could hang from the bucket. Never had a problem, didn't lose any limbs or roll it over either.

It was a good and heavy machine. You do feel a bit naked up in it as the operator is the highest point.

ME83

Growing up on a small farm and next to small farms I learned on loaders like these. It is always common for Michigans to never have any brakes. As long as it had a loader you could stop, or at least slow down enough.

foley

hough

i have an old hough HO model loader made in 1957 got a j model cummins and still runs like a top parts are kindof hard to find though same style as that one open top exposed cab but it will move some dirt trees cars about anything under 10k lbs big tonka toy

foley

pics of my hough

i just thought i would post a pic or two of my old beast like my homemade grapple I use it and abuse it and it comes back for more you definitely dont want to be standing on the ladder when you are playing with the boom

Attachments

• DSCN1240.jpg
    DSCN1240.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,140
  • DSCN1239.jpg
    DSCN1239.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,191

foley

who needs a muffler

if you say my exhaust you would see the reason for the lack of a muffler top rotted off where it would attach and broke in two toward one end i found a parts engine but i havent had time to fix it it works how it is its just loud

:drinkup