• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

HATCHEQUIP

I’m not saying that, just avoid hiring them for certain jobs other than janitors or something similar. They don’t seem to understand consequences. We used to have a neighbor kid like that
Well thanks alot 56 next time im setting in the bathroom and I go to flush ill wonder is this thing gona blow up

TCat

Maybe I'm too old fashioned for these younger people now days. Maybe I expect too much from them. Maybe I am too OCD for most people's taste. Maybe I've turned into one of them old curmudgeons like TS :p .

I was raised that how you do your work is a reflection of you. Do a great job to the best of your ability and leave the job as clean.........or cleaner than when you found it. Pick up after yourself in respect for the next person that may need that space. Listen to those with more experience and keep your mouth shut and learn. Don't put something off that you can accomplish right now.

I thought I might be a decent trainer in this field someday. Now, I'm not sure I could handle it with these young people. I'm afraid they would have me seeking a building to jump from.
Many people actually thrive and excel with rules and structure as long as the rules don't change all the time to support a pre-ordained outcome. The problem is that our society punishes and discourages it these days instead of rewarding it.

Shimmy1

Good thing you guys don't come around my shop, I'd be fired in a heart beat. I've always got a mess of oil, antifreeze and oil dri. I try, but I'm a pig.

I will say this place has helped, in that I feel shame over my situation at times, and do better about cleaning up. But I guarantee my bench right now, is covered in cardboard boxes and disassembled parts.
No kidding. Same here.

Joe H

For all the indignation and outrage, the subject of this week's episode represents about 70% of the personnel at the big factory shops; Ford, GM, Cat, whatever . . .

Hey, somebody has to spend their 20 years putting left rear wheels on Buicks as they come down the line.

It ain't me and it's no one here, but there is a place for those people.

Joe H

Monkeywithawrench

For all the indignation and outrage, the subject of this week's episode represents about 70% of the personnel at the big factory shops; Ford, GM, Cat, whatever . . .
Last year I had a CAT 725 rock truck throw a pushrod. Engine had been put in a little over a year ago. Less than 1000H on the engine. CERTIFIED CAT REMAN. Took the head off.........ALL OF THE PISTON WERE PUT IN BACKWARDS. The relief for the valve clearance was 180 out. One valve had completely broken off, the rest were all bent up. Warranty for the CERTIFIED CAT engine was 1 year. CAT didn't want to hear it. Not their problem. Went to court........judgement against CAT.
The IDIOT who put the pistons in, at CAT; is who is responsible.
Probably somebody who got participation trophies in everything they did.

MORE SMACKS UPSIDE THE HEAD ARE NEEDED. Not paying attention......WHACK!!........THAT grabs your attention. I have been on the receiving end of those quite a few times in my youth. Made me pay attention and correct my actions.

I believe the psychologists call that NEGATIVE RE-INFORCEMENT. Tis but illegal in these fair times....so sad.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Question--which are more effective a up or down motion on the side of the head.
Personally, I find electro stimulus the fastest, safest method of negative reinforcement learning/teaching currently available. Wear a shock collar and you get to learnin' really fast! Most crybabies don't like the hard core approach but I do. Fast & efficient results.

I still have nightmares about my mother's kitchen spatula and the paddleball board - both learned me quick. It was good for me - I've never been in any trouble with the law, I was taught proper manners and I do my best to be kind and considerate to others. I've never been a cost to society, just a payer.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I’m not saying that, just avoid hiring them for certain jobs other than janitors or something similar. They don’t seem to understand consequences. We used to have a neighbor kid like that
Not understanding has no place in the workplace were even walking in the wrong place at the wrong time can get you or someone else killed.
Even the Janitor need to be alert.