• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

JD955SC

I wonder if that is how I would have been - I like operating equipment, right up to about the 3rd or 4th push or scoop, then I wish I was elsewhere. Mechanic work is my favorite, it is always some new place and new problem to solve.

I hate general equipment operation (especially earthmoving) it’s as boring as watching paint dry. I found that I liked problem solving much more and I still get to test run the equipment before and after a fix anyway enough to satisfy any desire to run it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm not sure. I personally think they never had any great expectations for him anyway. I told the main super that I would like to continue to use him when he is finished doing his regular job on the fuel truck. I also told him that if something happened to his employment on the fuel truck...........I would be willing to work him full time in the shop. He agreed and again.....looked shocked.

I keep calling him kid on here, but he is an early 20's something with a young wife and really young kid. He hasn't been getting 40-hour weeks and his wife doesn't have resident status yet, so she is unable to work.
I can get him the hours he needs working with me to fill out his paycheck......as long as the company is willing. I'm going to see what he is made of in the next few weeks so we will see what happens. The good thing is........If the willingness to learn and take instruction remains positive, he could quickly become an asset to the company..........and I will DAM SURE make the company bosses understand that. I wont be afraid to make sure his pay keeps up with his ability also.....but again, as long as the company bosses co-operate with me.

I have a warm feeling this could be great for a young man that needs a break......and I am willing to give him that.
If something happens there or with you send him my way. I need 2-3 more guys with various levels of knowledge.

suladas

I wonder if that is how I would have been - I like operating equipment, right up to about the 3rd or 4th push or scoop, then I wish I was elsewhere. Mechanic work is my favorite, it is always some new place and new problem to solve.

I am the exact opposite, every time I get part way through a repair I wonder why I didn't pay someone to fix it for me. I enjoy running it instead of fixing it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Personally-It's still being able at 66 to turn work out in half the time it takes someone half my age,
which is a high percentage of mechanics.---Then set on my ass.

We have similar demeanor. Get it in get it done, then screw off some or Gov Work if make good time. Guys in the garages I worked never understood my being able to motivate that fast, I like being able to get My Time but only when all else is done.

As to rip strip and tear, KW says it best for me, Scatter to the wind then sort it back together. LOVE 3D puzzles!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'd say I preferred fixing things but did like the chance once in a while to get to run equipment in the quarry. Think spending some time running the machines helped me when it came time to fix them. But to sit in the same 769C for 8 to 10 hours a day five days a week would not be fun. The ability to run most anything did come in handy a few times when an operator was late getting to work.

One time I did have some "fun" test driving a 773 Cat haul truck after repairing a shifter problem. Took it down an unused haul road and went through the gears running flat out then touched the brakes! Yep! those 773's had good brakes especially running empty on a flat road. Good thing no one was watching, or coming the other way!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I was always the go to for basket cases. Drag the junk in, unload the boxes of pieces and hand me a work order. Was neat at first, got old pretty quick.
Early 570 PayLoader sitting at Quarry in Marthasville MO had been taken apart then the mechanic died, he was seventy something, engine in one building, apart, trans in floor by machine, apart, bolts scattered. Took me four days just to sort out what was broken.
Converter blew up as driven turbine failed, busted housing and drove crank forward ate thrust bearing among other parts. Three weeks awaiting parts and pieces then assembling in a quarry shelter. Then they sold out.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
3 months a year running a Cat 1600LHD with a mile long tram mucking mud on night shift satisfied any urge to be an operator for me. I just don't have the gift and that's fine with me. I'll take a wrench, 4" of grease covering something and hydro oil dripping on my head vs. driving in circles all night.

Glad the kid is working out for you. Sounds like the golden ticket if it works out for him. Most of our diesel mechanics here are mid 20's to early 30's making over $100k a year with awesome benefits.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had it still written down as to my wages in 1976, Including OT I made almost $15,000. In 1984 as I ceased working multiple jobs as a on site contractor I was earning close to $74,000/yr and killing myself in that process 12-18 hours per day six days a week, Roughly $16/hr, my tools bills in 1984 had reached almost $4500 trying to keep up with the changing fastener types and demands. As a wrench for Union Electric I was over $42,000 in 1996, that was 26 years ago when COL was significantly lower where I bought a New Ford F2504x4 for $18,000. Today $100k is almost a starting wage in shops. The first Service Truck I bought was at auction, gave $1275 for a seven year old Well Beaten Ford F350 4x4 SRW with a utility body and a front winch, 4604bbl four speed that managed 8mpg and had over 150k miles on it. A decent service truck today you cannot touch used for less than 5 figures and most over $40k worn slick.

ih100

I'm not sure. I personally think they never had any great expectations for him anyway. I told the main super that I would like to continue to use him when he is finished doing his regular job on the fuel truck. I also told him that if something happened to his employment on the fuel truck...........I would be willing to work him full time in the shop. He agreed and again.....looked shocked.

I keep calling him kid on here, but he is an early 20's something with a young wife and really young kid. He hasn't been getting 40-hour weeks and his wife doesn't have resident status yet, so she is unable to work.
I can get him the hours he needs working with me to fill out his paycheck......as long as the company is willing. I'm going to see what he is made of in the next few weeks so we will see what happens. The good thing is........If the willingness to learn and take instruction remains positive, he could quickly become an asset to the company..........and I will DAM SURE make the company bosses understand that. I wont be afraid to make sure his pay keeps up with his ability also.....but again, as long as the company bosses co-operate with me.

I have a warm feeling this could be great for a young man that needs a break......and I am willing to give him that.

ih100

Managed to post that with no text…old fingers.
Vetech, I’ve been away from here nearly three years, but lucked onto this thread. It’s been a fantastic read, and I really hope your new assistant works out, boss. I’ve had a few apprentices the last few years and your lad sounds like gold dust. Paying for his own CDL, that says a lot to me in itself, and I hope the company value him as much as you do.

As for the compactor gearbox, I did the exact same job on a CP44 drum last year, tackled it the same way. I made an aligning tool from a drawing of the Cat service tool and it fell back into place. Already been said on here, Cat recommend their own Cat Compactor Oil, it’s a fully synthetic product worth (and costing) its weight in gold.

Questionable wizard

I like running equipment like others, but hate the monotony. If I operate any piece of equipment for a short time, I ALWAYS find something that needs attention on it. Usually the operator hasn't noticed yet.

I'm a firm believer in spot inspections and regular inspections, apart from lube services. I spent a number of years as a crewchief on C-130s in the air guard. Required levels of inspection between flight hours.

I hate reactionary maintenance, once the machine is down and unusable. Often, unscheduled downtime is preventable. I believe if all maintenance is reactionary, it's the mark of poor management.

I like puzzles, if I can achieve success without stressing out over it. The intermittent electrical issues are the worst.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I have a BAD Habit of seeing what others ignore or just can't see. Would tell a operator noticed some odd noise or condition they needed to write up, seems they did not care until outright failed, then would ask How I Knew!! At the Nuke almost as if came to a understanding of the machine, be in our Ready Room between functions and feel a vibration change, hear a different howl or worse yet, Smell a odor NOT supposed to be there. Guys would raise heads if I got up and told them 'Its Wrong' and I would head into the turbine hall. A few would follow, few ever developed that sensitivity where I could detect steam leaks, hydraulic leaks, a valve slipping in position and damned near every time could find it.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I like puzzles, if I can achieve success without stressing out over it. The intermittent electrical issues are the worst.

Intermittent electrical problems is my specialty, things that only happen first start of the week type stuff. Show up on site, tell the customer DONT touch anything, let me get the covers off and my meter ready and we will track it down the one time we can before it fixes itself and we have to drive out here next week.

Some people think they are doing a good thing by learning where to tap on it so that it fixes itself and don't realize that once they have temporarily fixed it, not much further T/S is usually possible until the problem recurs.

Got to charge time and miles for all that driving.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I have a BAD Habit of seeing what others ignore or just can't see. Would tell a operator noticed some odd noise or condition they needed to write up, seems they did not care until outright failed, then would ask How I Knew!! At the Nuke almost as if came to a understanding of the machine, be in our Ready Room between functions and feel a vibration change, hear a different howl or worse yet, Smell a odor NOT supposed to be there. Guys would raise heads if I got up and told them 'Its Wrong' and I would head into the turbine hall. A few would follow, few ever developed that sensitivity where I could detect steam leaks, hydraulic leaks, a valve slipping in position and damned near every time could find it.