• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Cameras are exactly why I quit Waste Management driving job. Had a gravy roll-off gig that I loved until they put cameras in the trucks "for insurance reasons" both front and rear facing. Nothing like coming back to the barn after a 12 hour day and getting called onto the carpet and asked stupid questions like why I was eating a sandwich while driving, after hitting a pothole and setting the camera off or why I was following so close after some moron pulled right into my "space cushion" and I had to hit the binders to keep from squashing his dumb ass and setting off the camera. after several months of that nonsense and several reprimands for swearing at the cameras Mr. Stinky had enough of that nonsense. The stress was making me consume twice as much beer and I couldn't stand that much peein'.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Camera's yeah we got them here, do I give a F they are there, nope. The day they call me in to question anything is the day I'm going home for the last time.
Wouldn't be surprise I end up on YouTube if anything with a video titled "Angry worker throws....." or the latest of "Naked mechanic.... too damn good to fire" Yeah well when one gives me a dumb schit detail that gets my clothes soaking wet and it's cold I don't care what camera is rolling, I'm stripping down put them out to dry in front of the heater and continue working as such.
Hopefully they learned my nuts were dragging along the stick shift or other various things they are now holding cause of it ;)

chidog

Only time I'd want camera's driving, is if someone crashed into what ever it was I was driving, to prove I didn't do it. I would think every school teacher would want a camera in the class room.
If I was doing certain mechanic work for someone I'd be installing a camera nowadays, so I could verify everything I did. I did work at one place that did install them in a machine shop, we could hide from them pretty easy.

Welder Dave

I would imagine camera's and GPS in a lot of company vehicles is because of some idiot(s) abusing the vehicles or going to places like bars instead of back and forth to the job or to get lunch or parts. Some people would be tempted to spend time in a bar or meeting with a friend if they finished a job early or made up some excuse why they had to be gone for so long. Know of a guy I think was fired because he was caught in a bar when he should have been working. Lunch is an hour at the most not 2 1/2 hours and no drinking while on company time or in a company vehicle.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Our society has become drunk on data. The cameras and GPS units are everywhere because they are cheap and readily available, not because they serve any real need. The more information we have, the more we need, we are over run with worthless, endless information.
One could make a case for the idea that the more information is available the dumber people seem to get. Life certainly isn't any better now than it was in 2003.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Can see the boss at Spuds shop shutting that camera Down, TMI and Too much flashed Junk for the Office to deal with!!
Ask for stupid games win stupid prizes. Wasn't about to drive to the store for new set of clothes soaking wet, damn washer pressuring a semi and RGN in 20° temperatures soaking wet then the hose itself burst on me. Yeah I had enough by then and it was more of a suck my "d" moment, "f" this "s" I'm "p"

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
We have them at work but a lot of what makes it work is having people on the other end that that understand driving and don’t micromanage with it. Our regional safety manager over me doesn’t bother us over stupid **** and yes the cameras do record at all times wether they say they don’t or not but will only send a report if they are set off but footage can be pulled up anytime

Truck Shop

Dash cams with inside cab view--The women in HR found out it isn't a good idea to check
a dash cam when driver isn't logged in {on duty}. Some don't quite shut the sleeper curtains
or don't shut them at all. Nasty view of swamp ass moons amongst other things.

joelx777

Rocky Mountain Power/Pacific Power--All vehicles have GPS and now cameras. Cameras all over
each facility. Constantly monitored. You cannot have a firearm in your personal locked vehicle
while on company property, no tobacco/smokes or chewing tobacco on you or in your car while
on company property. This last company I work for the cab interior side of the dash cam is
constantly on, if one is in the truck you are being watched at any time. Very common these days.

Where the cameras with audio need to be is watching the CEO, CFO and board rooms. The guy who
stole the frozen pizza most likely because he was hungry possibly gets the crap beat out of him
arrested throwed in jail and we get to pay for that.
Meanwhile the white collar crime that effects thousands walks.

My last reply.
As a company owner, I agree about white collar crime completely. My suggested solution is do away with the Limited Liability Company. If owners and boards of directors and managers were personally financially liable for problems, the world would change for the better real quick.