• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I traveled constantly on my job, My wife put in 21 years in as a Navy medic. We spent a lot of time apart, meeting where and when we could. After she had been retired about ten years, we landed a hospital job about 25 miles from home. which I did build. After about a year, working from home, Debby said, "maybe we can get along living together, when you retire". I finished that job, did my last job, a new hospital, 1.5 miles from our home. and retired. That was 8 years ago last January 11th. We are still happily married, although I will admit, she does occasionally say, "don't you need a road trip, I need a break?" I say yup, and it works well. I traveled alone to Alaska last fall, we fished together in the Snobear all winter, and I just road tripped to CA alone, returning last Saturday. It works!

Truck Shop

Heavy equipment repair will pay much much better than a machine shop. A lot of machine work has been outsourced to china, so local labor is not much more valuable than china labor rates plus transportation cost.

Pretty hard to outsource paver repair to china.
All one has to do is take a look at Muncie Indiana and the transmission gear industry.

Truck Shop

...and yet. the OP's wife's shop seems to be open and successfull.....
Plenty of machine shops all around this country.
Because of Out sourcing and CNC machining try and find a real tool and die maker/machinist.
When a farmer has a broken piece such as a gear on a combine he needs it now and done
that night on a manual lathe. Not everyone can afford a CNC machine in their shop.
Most every bearing and gear in a Eaton transmission is stamped Mexico or China, before it
was U.S., Canada, UK.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Because of Out sourcing and CNC machining try and find a real tool and die maker/machinist.
When a farmer has a broken piece such as a gear on a combine he needs it now and done
that night on a manual lathe. Not everyone can afford a CNC machine in their shop.
Most every bearing and gear in a Eaton transmission is stamped Mexico or China, before it
was U.S., Canada, UK.
Uhm...yeah.
Have you poked around Meadville, pa. ?
Known as the Tool & Die capital, plastic molds are big time there.
Many machine shops in Erie doing production work, some doing T&D.

A farmer needing something HPIM0604.JPGHPIM0605.JPGfixed don't need a T&D guy, I know many of them.

And I know of local machine shops that do the fixing for these farmers.
They are not the same thing.
This HBM I found for my neighbor helped him with the install, he does the fixing work for the farmers.
NOT a Tool & Die Shop. Nor a production machine shop.

Truck Shop

Uhm...yeah.
You live in a whole different area, won't find that out here. Finding a machinist out here is tough,
even one with a ton of CNC machines. Only one in this area and they do gov bid, industry bid work.
They won't stop for a one piece job, if they did it would set for five days. The one main shop a friend
owns is about the last, and he is going to retire in a couple of years.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
You live in a whole different area, won't find that out here. Finding a machinist out here is tough,
even one with a ton of CNC machines. Only one in this area and they do gov bid, industry bid work.
They won't stop for a one piece job, if they did it would set for five days. The one main shop a friend
owns is about the last, and he is going to retire in a couple of years.
And where does the OP reside ?
Obviously his wife runs a machine shop, and it makes parts, and more importantly money.
It's obvious to me, that you don't understand the machine shop business.

Welder Dave

Where you're located can make a big difference on how easy or hard it is to get any type of service industry work. It doesn't make much difference what type of shop. Some shops don't want to be bothered with small one off jobs or if they fo them put them on the back burner. When I was looking at getting some drilling and threading done one shop said they could do it but would take about 2 weeks. They did mostly oilfield work and weren't very busy. Things are so slow they are now advertising that they do basic automotive servicing.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Where you're located can make a big difference on how easy or hard it is to get any type of service industry work. It doesn't make much difference what type of shop. Some shops don't want to be bothered with small one off jobs or if they fo them put them on the back burner. When I was looking at getting some drilling and threading done one shop said they could do it but would take about 2 weeks. They did mostly oilfield work and weren't very busy. Things are so slow they are now advertising that they do basic automotive servicing.
Is this what the OP's situation is ?

NO.

cfherrman

There's 4 machine shops in my town, basically they are a welding shop with various amounts of machine work done of the side. One place has a bunch of those cnc machines, another doesn't have any cnc but a lathe and a mill. The other two are in between