• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Vetech63

Well, today was "Our big Cat roller is puffing black smoke, has no power, and is choking our crew to death" day. Evidently this didn't just happen today.......it happened over a month ago and they have just kept running it. I checked it on the job.........over fueling pretty good so I had them haul it to the shop.

Definitely looked like a lack of air problem since the exhaust black smoke was pretty even. This dam thing (turbo) is NOT an easy access job.
Turbo1.jpg
I have oil in the intake housing and I could feel behind the turb for the waste gate link...........it was unhooked but no access so the turbo had to come off.
Turbo2.jpg
The spot weld for the waste gate lever broke so the waste gate was just floating like a fairy. Since they have ran this machine like this for over a month, it created enough vacuum to suck oil past the shaft seals. Turbocharger replacement (no separate parts available from Cat.)

What a pain in the ass this is to take out. Contortion yourself in multiple uncomfortable positions until your back hurts beyond belief. My hands are still cramping and most of the nuts on the mounting flange and outlet housing to the muffler are rusted solid. I had to torch most of them off. The best way to remove the turbo was to first remove the exhaust manifold and work your way down.
Turbo3.jpg
This is the new one partially installed. Cat didn't have the manifold gasket or bolts in stock. On my "Turbo Replacement Difficulty" scale...........this is an 8.9........it sucks unless you have the hands of a 5-year-old.

ih100

Well, today was "Our big Cat roller is puffing black smoke, has no power, and is choking our crew to death" day. Evidently this didn't just happen today.......it happened over a month ago and they have just kept running it. I checked it on the job.........over fueling pretty good so I had them haul it to the shop.

Definitely looked like a lack of air problem since the exhaust black smoke was pretty even. This dam thing (turbo) is NOT an easy access job.
View attachment 296548
I have oil in the intake housing and I could feel behind the turb for the waste gate link...........it was unhooked but no access so the turbo had to come off.
View attachment 296549
The spot weld for the waste gate lever broke so the waste gate was just floating like a fairy. Since they have ran this machine like this for over a month, it created enough vacuum to suck oil past the shaft seals. Turbocharger replacement (no separate parts available from Cat.)

What a pain in the ass this is to take out. Contortion yourself in multiple uncomfortable positions until your back hurts beyond belief. My hands are still cramping and most of the nuts on the mounting flange and outlet housing to the muffler are rusted solid. I had to torch most of them off. The best way to remove the turbo was to first remove the exhaust manifold and work your way down.
View attachment 296550
This is the new one partially installed. Cat didn't have the manifold gasket or bolts in stock. On my "Turbo Replacement Difficulty" scale...........this is an 8.9........it sucks unless you have the hands of a 5-year-old.
Done this same job, but not on a roller. If you can get underneath I think you can get three of the four with ratchet and extensions. Have you tried a Perkins dealer for the turbo parts? That’s a Perkins and the bolts and gaskets are all the same across the range, just different p/n’s.

Vetech63

If you can get underneath
You obviously haven't seen my belly. :p
I think you can get three of the four with ratchet and extensions.
I did get my fat ass underneath it but the starter, battery cabling, and harness wiring prevents access from underneath. Removing all that stuff wasn't prudent in my simple mind.
Have you tried a Perkins dealer for the turbo parts?
I didn't have time. Since the turbo seals were leaking, I went direct to Cat since they had it in stock. Remanned price was a bit over $1300.00 with a $650.00 core. Since before Covid the Perkins or even aftermarket prices have been comparable to OEM. The days of saving 30% or more outside of OEM have been few and far between.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
You obviously haven't seen my belly. :p

I did get my fat ass underneath it but the starter, battery cabling, and harness wiring prevents access from underneath. Removing all that stuff wasn't prudent in my simple mind.

I didn't have time. Since the turbo seals were leaking, I went direct to Cat since they had it in stock. Remanned price was a bit over $1300.00 with a $650.00 core. Since before Covid the Perkins or even aftermarket prices have been comparable to OEM. The days of saving 30% or more outside of OEM have been few and far between.
I've had absolutely no luck with Perkins, they keep getting different dealerships and they all charge me an arm and a leg for simple parts and not very good at looking them up.

Truck Shop

Replacement Difficulty" scale...........this is an 8.9........it sucks unless you have the hands of a 5-year-old.
Nice ---what's that I hear all the time--I hate working on trucks--I like it. Add rollers to the list,
throw in a Japanese car or two. I'll send cat some ideas on how to make construction equipment
a little tougher to work on.
R.07eac50dd4bef48266f0f0ec2ae95011

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Perkins bought by CAT helped NOBODY as to Parts and pieces, and where I would rather work on a Truck than a Roller Grader or Hilift have done enough on those to realize the developers and engineers give less of a crap today than thirty to even ten years ago.

Looked inside a Komatsu ONE TIME, Dozer, supposed to be "Just Like a Cat" and walked away. Was in a Truck garage when the 3406E and DDEC Detroits were the rage, the 50 and 60 series just getting started along with the Cummins N14 and M11 series. All I saw was over-engineered garbage piles that would make a One time Mil Miles and be worthless for anything beyond. EPA jumped in and made it ALL So Much Better with all that garbage emissions nonsense that does so amazingly little for the moneys involved. Should NOT EVER have been allowed to press that non legislated crap. But that is politic and cannot get into that here.

DEF is derived by refining Natural Gas for Urea, DOC DPF systems are Heavy into Exotic and COSTLY metals that are tender as a barefoot schoolgirl. LoSD and ULoSD are so bogus as to be criminal as to what was required quantity wise of removal for 'Emission'. Yes trucks on the Highway Runs get phenomenal mileage and thes eDOC Systems last LONG interval but those are but 1/3 of Diesel use requiring that crap where that other 2/3 it fails routinely and expensively. As well the Illustrious Booger Patch Engas' bury the sensors and gadgets incorporated as well distribute the mechanism controls thru numerous Control Modules that have a Real Rep on fail rates. NONE of the equipment for Personal or commercial use has been engineered to do anything but attempt to force return to Dealerships for repairs in MASSIVE destructive teardowns for SLIGHT to what were once Inexpensive repairs. My 78 K100C with a 8V92 I could get BOTH hands into the dash to find a connector or bad terminal connection, that dash did self destruct as was dense hard plastic but nothing better since and packed to the max of 10# in a 5# box.

Have written House and Senate Rep letters, got nice returns back and know for a fact NOT A DAMN THING will change. Once the economy fully tanks, and YES, it IS headed there, then all the nonsense can cease for those that remain in business, OR the mechanization of the US will devolve.

Truck Shop

Perkins bought by CAT helped NOBODY as to Parts and pieces, and where I would rather work on a Truck than a Roller Grader or Hilift have done enough on those to realize the developers and engineers give less of a crap today than thirty to even ten years ago.

Looked inside a Komatsu ONE TIME, Dozer, supposed to be "Just Like a Cat" and walked away. Was in a Truck garage when the 3406E and DDEC Detroits were the rage, the 50 and 60 series just getting started along with the Cummins N14 and M11 series. All I saw was over-engineered garbage piles that would make a One time Mil Miles and be worthless for anything beyond. EPA jumped in and made it ALL So Much Better with all that garbage emissions nonsense that does so amazingly little for the moneys involved. Should NOT EVER have been allowed to press that non legislated crap. But that is politic and cannot get into that here.

DEF is derived by refining Natural Gas for Urea, DOC DPF systems are Heavy into Exotic and COSTLY metals that are tender as a barefoot schoolgirl. LoSD and ULoSD are so bogus as to be criminal as to what was required quantity wise of removal for 'Emission'. Yes trucks on the Highway Runs get phenomenal mileage and thes eDOC Systems last LONG interval but those are but 1/3 of Diesel use requiring that crap where that other 2/3 it fails routinely and expensively. As well the Illustrious Booger Patch Engas' bury the sensors and gadgets incorporated as well distribute the mechanism controls thru numerous Control Modules that have a Real Rep on fail rates. NONE of the equipment for Personal or commercial use has been engineered to do anything but attempt to force return to Dealerships for repairs in MASSIVE destructive teardowns for SLIGHT to what were once Inexpensive repairs. My 78 K100C with a 8V92 I could get BOTH hands into the dash to find a connector or bad terminal connection, that dash did self destruct as was dense hard plastic but nothing better since and packed to the max of 10# in a 5# box.

Have written House and Senate Rep letters, got nice returns back and know for a fact NOT A DAMN THING will change. Once the economy fully tanks, and YES, it IS headed there, then all the nonsense can cease for those that remain in business, OR the mechanization of the US will devolve.
Nothing runs better than a fine-tuned emissions engine with every emission option available.

1_b55695b9a087b1b2bc853453b47c802c.jpg

far-side-latte-jed-cowboy-coffee-mug_1_b55695b9a087b1b2bc853453b47c802c.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Nothing runs better than a fine-tuned emissions engine with every emission option deleted.
Well, there are a few things that can still be problematic....the HPCR injection systems are good when they work but a potential money pit when things go wrong or a little bit of dirt, water, or DEF gets in there.

Just asking too much from the physics of everything, it's a wonder it even works at all.