• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Zewnten

If you’re good with the BS and looking to ease your way out of running your business might be worth the gamble. Have a buddy who ended up in a very similar position but once the leadership officially changed over the new guy wanted to make a name for himself and my buddy got his walking papers. Guy is a good mechanic and mentor too, so they lost a lot there and he had to figure out what to do. He’d planned on retiring with them.

Welder Dave

If it's already hard to find decent mechanics in the area, Vetech has a big advantage. If he were to leave, the company could be in big trouble with no one experienced enough to fix their equipment and keep it running. That could affect their projects being completed on time. A dealer couldn't drop everything to work on their equipment. Having even a few requests fulfilled could go a long way to making sure Vetech sticks around at least a little longer. It has to be extremely frustrating for Vetech. Making him an employee might make it worse.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
This all sounds great and wonderful to have them hire guys to work under you and you can teach them as they go along but you really need to read back over all your past posts about the terrible helpers they have had in the past.
Right now it’s easy to sit and judge just how bad they are and have a laugh but just wait until you are responsible for the bad help you get and that big pile of stinky shite runs down on your head. When you get home feeling like you have somehow failed you will soon want out and that means all the way out. This also means the end of the gravy train.
Sorry. Just my 2 cents.

AzIron

If you have been self employed for 30 plus years why on earth would you want to go back to a w2 employee and why would you want to be under the thumb of Alan

Today you could walk away from that customer and do other things and it wouldn't affect your buissness the way shutting it down to go on their payroll will

They want to put you on payroll to lower there cost and be able to directly control your hours and that's not ro limit your hours it's to tell you to work all night to get it going.

I have no doubt that they can hire decent help and that with time you cam train them better than most but the culture of that outfit is not going to change because management doesn't want to leave the office and develop it.

I don't think at your age I would want to put on my supper man cape and stand in front of this train that is just a lot of heart ache and if you go on payroll you will probably make less than you are and not have near the options to simplify your life if they get stupider than they are

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been thinking on this since last night. Give the client a chance to make the offer, think on it a few days but do not jump just because feel owe them of is a potential to single shop work. If are Anxious enough to gain a reputable full time mechanic leave them look for that while you maintain as a spot repair tech earning the moneys are currently. Education is always hard earned but beat remembered and they sound as need that lesson.

They want to argue expenses let them chase out other road techs to learn that lesson as well. If they have no business being in business let the company falter, cannot save them all.

Truck Shop

Yes Vetech--definitely don't go back down that low life road of a W2 employee--why look
at what happened to me just a low life truck mechanic filing a W2 each year. Being a employee
is about as low as you can get, so take my advise stay in the 2% club.

Vetech63

Can you be in on the interview for a potential helper(s) for yourself?
Not at this time, unless I'm on board first before they hire someone.
When you give them a logical number from your standpoint, they are going to lose their collective $hit right there on the floor.
Oh, I'm sure that will be the case. When I have a number, I will stand by it..........non negotiable.
How many pieces of equipment to oversee/repair,
Between dirt and asphalt.........over 150
Where are your tools.??
There.?? On your truck.??
Do u plan on leaving a box THERE.??
All of the equipment and tooling would be sold to the company. That has already been stated. I could either dissolve my business........or mothball it.
If ur the only one straightening up the place, what r u going to do with the “dead weight” that’s already there.??
I brought that and other things up. I was told I could lock it down like Fort Knox. Having someone at the shop fulltime would eliminate a lot of those issues.
If it's already hard to find decent mechanics in the area, Vetech has a big advantage. If he were to leave, the company could be in big trouble with no one experienced enough to fix their equipment and keep it running. That could affect their projects being completed on time. A dealer couldn't drop everything to work on their equipment
This is pretty much the case.....at least in this area. The other advantage is they know me and what I do. It's not like I haven't been around forever anyway.
Would they try to control him more as an employee and make him work when he wants time off, or dictate what he works on, etc.??
Possibly, but they give me a tremendous amount of freedom as a contractor as far as how repairs are done. I've been given the impression that the scope of what I do wouldn't change.....but who really knows.

Vetech63

All great points guys. I just have to weigh the pros and cons and see if it somehow balances out to my advantage. I have a few very short years of continuing turning the wrenches. At some point, I have to consider where I will be at that particular time...........and consider getting out of my own business at the right time, but still be able to work past my mid-60's. This business is me, and me alone. There is no continuing it after I am done. It's about determining when that time is right, and I have the most value. I'm not getting any younger here.

There are other advantages I haven't spoke of yet but could be lucrative outside of working for them. Thats where my financial future would lye moving past 65 or earlier.

I still think me working as a contractor and staying off payroll would be the better way to go right now. Sell them the assets and keep me as contract labor. That would be ideal situation moving forward.

ianjoub

If you choose to accept an offer from them, you could have a contract term. Ask for a 2 or 3 year guaranteed term, if you want to work that much longer. Perhaps you could include a buyout clause if they decide to go in a different route. Wouldn't be bad to get paid $75k/yr for remainder of contract if they decide they don't want/need you any more.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Think of this as an opportunity to get some fresh air and breathe a little.
Good pay, good benefits, not killing your body and training some kids to do good work.
Only question is, will this job be there when you’re ready to retire.
I found that it’s easier to just work for someone than always gunning for more.
I certainly got after it for 25 years, now I’m comfortable just being told what they want and do it, go home have a nice dinner and RELAX.
As long as they respect you, treat you right and no bullshit.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
All impending BS aside, if you went on the payroll wouldn't that boost your SSI income as well? Don't know how self employment and 1099 contributions work. Always worked for The Man or on the cuff.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

If they hire someone to work with you or under your supervision, it seems bizarre not to include you in the hiring process. They need you regardless if you're an employee or contractor. What do they know about repairing equipment? You and only you could tell if a potential employee could be a good fit and if their skills match what it says on their resume. You could weed out the wanna be's with the overly enhanced resumes. What happens if they hire someone who won't listen or take direction from you and just wants to do their own thing?

Roadoil

My .0002 haven't read everything but here's what I think being in a similar situation working as a contractor with my own equipment with my main customer who then bought newer equipment than I ran and offered me a job to run it, didn't even discuss pay I declined.

You are costing them too much as a contractor, they like your work but are cheap want to lower costs.

That means hiring you as an employee of course they will promise you the world but everything will change especially the dynamic with you as an employee you won't be treated the same under more control.

You will also not have the advantage as a business owner of tax write offs on equipment and tools on your income and get wacked $$ as a W2 employee not make nearly the same.

Hard pass.

And here is the funny part I told them the 3 specialty trucks they bought 2016 models for $500k will work great for 6 months then start doing a poor job as they wear and parts fail.

Sure enough a year went by they called me back as a contractor and everyone of those trucks is broken and does a poor job or is completely down.

This equipment is constant breakdowns I basically have always told them I am a mechanic first then a driver. Not even the local dealer can fix them he's never been factory trained let alone their service guys.

Last edited:

Shimmy1

We all know that's the game that they are playing, but why would they think he would even consider going W-2? I've been floating this comment around ever since this fiddle-faddle about the higher-ups being concerned began. The notion that they even think there is a number that Ve would consider is ludicrous. They have been writing him checks for well over 5 years. They know what he is banking working as a sub.

We all know what they are striving for. To lock VE in as their sole repair man, at a reduced rate of pay from what he has been billing. Yes, I know, Captain Obvious. But, their thoughts are offer to pay so much per month, quarter, whatever, and he doesn't have to worry about anything besides showing up and fixing. No more service truck to keep up, no more fuel bill, no more paperwork, on and on.

But, here's the problem. What they think VE is going to be willing to accept, and what that number might actually be are probably 6 digits apart. They are NOT just buying a man, they are buying Blue Sky. A business. And businesses don't come cheap.
My .0002 haven't read everything but here's what I think being in a similar situation working as a contractor with my own equipment with my main customer who then bought newer equipment than I ran and offered me a job to run it, didn't even discuss pay I declined.

You are costing them too much as a contractor, they like your work but are cheap want to lower costs.

That means hiring you as an employee of course they will promise you the world but everything will change especially the dynamic with you as an employee you won't be treated the same under more control.

You will also not have the advantage as a business owner of tax write offs on equipment and tools on your income and get wacked $$ as a W2 employee not make nearly the same.

Hard pass.