• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thread repair

couesaddict

Thought I’d put this up. I’m sure plenty of you have had to do the same. These are 7/8” holes for the side rollers on a cat 623B floor. I think a 7/8” hole is about my minimum for walking 3/32” 7018 around while standing on my head… the 1” ones I did for the locks were definitely an easier weld but didn’t take any pictures of them.

Attachments

• IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5569.jpeg
    IMG_5569.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 41

couesaddict

Drilling was pretty rough with a Milwaukee cordless hand drill… mag drill doesn’t have a Chuck so only annular bits. I have tap sockets so the tap was ran with an 18” ratchet and wasn’t too bad. The 1” holes in the weldment the floor locks bolt to were pretty rough. I believe that’s ar-400 so the mix with it and 7018 was pretty hard. Mac guy warrantied the 1” tap cause it was DULL after all that. All in all though it was a lot quicker fix than cutting everything out and welding in new pieces.

.RC.

Drilling was pretty rough with a Milwaukee cordless hand drill… mag drill doesn’t have a Chuck so only annular bits. I have tap sockets so the tap was ran with an 18” ratchet and wasn’t too bad. The 1” holes in the weldment the floor locks bolt to were pretty rough. I believe that’s ar-400 so the mix with it and 7018 was pretty hard. Mac guy warrantied the 1” tap cause it was DULL after all that. All in all though it was a lot quicker fix than cutting everything out and welding in new pieces.

My Fein mag drill I just made an adapter to fit a chuck to the quick change fitting they use.