• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

Username

Found some pics of a TMY-45 we had for a bit in the rock pit. Computer file says Nov of 2007. We had purchased it after trying a Skagit 747 and subsequently selling that to Walch after we decided it was bigger than we needed. Never rigged it up, had it all set up ready for lines before we realized our problem. Purchased it sight unseen knowing that the mainline was a split drum, but the A-frame boom resulted in us not being able to run highlead like we wanted. Cascade Trader subsequently financed it to a logger over in Sunnyside. It had the 903 Cummins, probably needed a new injector but otherwise seemed to be a decent machine.

f79528728.jpg

f5812320.jpg

f5622232.jpg

furpo

Hi Scott S

Are you guys using the strawline as a tag line or are you sending back strawline for a line change? Roadswitcher would be interested in the serial # of your machine as he is missing a few # from his production records.

Cheers

Scott S

Hi Scott S

Are you guys using the strawline as a tag line or are you sending back strawline for a line change? Roadswitcher would be interested in the serial # of your machine as he is missing a few # from his production records.

Cheers

We use what I call a Squirrel Block to hold the skidding line up out of the way of the processor on the landing, the straw line is used to hold it in place. Using a motorized slack pulling carriage if the line is slack it drapes through the "chute" and can slow the processor down. On this landing the 255 is on a perch about 25 feet higher than the landing.

Serial # 5119 first purchased by Weyco, we are the second owner.

Roadswitcher

Thanks for update

We use what I call a Squirrel Block to hold the skidding line up out of the way of the processor on the landing, the straw line is used to hold it in place. Using a motorized slack pulling carriage if the line is slack it drapes through the "chute" and can slow the processor down. On this landing the 255 is on a perch about 25 feet higher than the landing.

Serial # 5119 first purchased by Weyco, we are the second owner.

I have it as originally delivered November 92 to Weyco, Springfield Oregon division. Like the 'Squirrel block' idea.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
You have any info on the TY-80 slackline machine delivered to Weyco springfield...???

Roadswitcher

You have any info on the TY-80 slackline machine delivered to Weyco springfield...???

According to my records, the Weyco Springfield TY-80, # Y8038, was the last of four manufactured. I have conflicting delivery dates of Feb 94 and June 94. Notes say that it had a T/100 tower and was a four drum machine. As I remember, they used the '70' drum set on the three slackliners, 36,37 & 38. # Y8035 was a high lead yarder that went to Weyco, Raymond division, Dec 90. Pete Dancer brought #36 new into New Zealand, mid 92 and #37 went to Pacific Lumber and Shipping, Randle WA mid 93 (ref post 264)

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
According to my records, the Weyco Springfield TY-80, # Y8038, was the last of four manufactured. I have conflicting delivery dates of Feb 94 and June 94. Notes say that it had a T/100 tower and was a four drum machine. As I remember, they used the '70' drum set on the three slackliners, 36,37 & 38. # Y8035 was a high lead yarder that went to Weyco, Raymond division, Dec 90. Pete Dancer brought #36 new into New Zealand, mid 92 and #37 went to Pacific Lumber and Shipping, Randle WA mid 93 (ref post 264)

I am cutting for #38 currently, Have cut for #37 and know where #35 is sitting in my friends yard for sale.
What is the main difference from the TY-80's and 90's??

Roadswitcher

I am cutting for #38 currently, Have cut for #37 and know where #35 is sitting in my friends yard for sale.

The TY 80 has a lighter hoist than the TY 90. As I stated earlier, I thought it was the '70' drumset - have just checked my spec sheets and the horse power, speeds and capacities are identical. However, the rear drum on the 80 is slightly raised which indicates that RossCorp may have adapted it somewhat to suit the end mount tower. I'm also wondering if they reversed the skyline and haulback drums to suit the Skajit tower or was the tower sheaving altered to suit the drumset. Unfortunately, my TY 80 spec sheet does not include a drum layout plan. Is it possible for you to get a couple of pics of the drumset and the tower sheaving. Also, who are the current owners of #37 and #38.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I will try and get pics this week of #38 which is owned by Eric Krume Krume Logging Icc. Castle Rock Wa.
I am not sure who owns #37 now.

Username

The TY 80 has a lighter hoist than the TY 90. As I stated earlier, I thought it was the '70' drumset - have just checked my spec sheets and the horse power, speeds and capacities are identical. However, the rear drum on the 80 is slightly raised which indicates that RossCorp may have adapted it somewhat to suit the end mount tower. I'm also wondering if they reversed the skyline and haulback drums to suit the Skajit tower or was the tower sheaving altered to suit the drumset. Unfortunately, my TY 80 spec sheet does not include a drum layout plan. Is it possible for you to get a couple of pics of the drumset and the tower sheaving. Also, who are the current owners of #37 and #38.

Straight from my factory replacement TY80 book, the only diagram of the drumset.

001.jpg

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech

I see 35 is sitting all by itself as of last Tuesday, the Skagit got sold I assume?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Yes, The 739 went to Arnold Logging. Username posted about it in the Skagit thread.

Last edited:

Username

I see 35 is sitting all by itself as of last Tuesday, the Skagit got sold I assume?

Yep, Ed Arnold bought it for use on the Condit Dam removal project. Took it with the 75' tube for $22,500. Should be at his shop right now, going to be onsite in the near future.

Last edited:

bc_outpost

Occupation
West Coast Felling Contractor.
I love all these pics. and brochures on these T'birds but where do you get more serious details and specs. on the machines I'm looking into a small clean-up and partial cut yarder and the 40 series seems like the ticket but serious info. is scarse. My main interest is in the TY40 and TMY40 but I can't find any good information on the different options and configurations of these yarders. Any idea on wherennto dig up what I need.

Chris