• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

TorkelH

More Anderson - moving the new yarder

Moving the yarder with great precision over three bridges with narrow curves on both sides, only too narrow on the last bridge...

Attachments

• Madill6250_6.jpg
    Madill6250_6.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 6,001
  • Madill6250_7.jpg
    Madill6250_7.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 6,268
  • Madill6250_8.jpg
    Madill6250_8.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5,768
  • Madill6250_9.jpg
    Madill6250_9.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 5,720
  • Madill6250_10.jpg
    Madill6250_10.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5,887

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
Hey all. I'm really enjoying the pics and info on everything throughout the forestry equipment forum. I was wondering if anyone had any of the specs on the Thunderbird 700 RB excavator. I'm not sure the year of the one I'm looking at but we are looking at maybe purchasing one for piling brush. Thanks.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Moving the yarder with great precision over three bridges with narrow curves on both sides, only too narrow on the last bridge...

Madill 6250 never heard of this model? is it a T-Bird Cypress ??? I'm thinking of the of Cypress 6280 kind of looks like one:confused:

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Found something.
Madill

Madill now manufactures eight cable yarder models, including five swing yarders and three tower yarders.
The improved 255B swing yarder is capable of long span skyline logging with a motorized carriage or interlocked skyline logging with a slack pulling carriage. It has a 50foot tower, a Cat 450hp 3406E engine coupled to a twin disc five forward and one reverse powershift transmission.

The 124 model offers a 60foot tower, a Detroit 450 hp engine, front and rear main drum capacity of 2,550' of 7/8" line and 92,000 lbs of pull.

The 335hp 6250 and the 330 hp 120 models offer 50' towers, while the 230hp 6240 has a 40' tower.

Madill's tower yarders include the 450hp 172 fivedrum yarder with a 72' telescoping high strength tower with hydraulic cylinders for raising, telescoping and tilting. Its skyline drum has a 3,200' capacity of 1" and 135,000 lbs of pull.

The 330hp 6150 has a 50' tower and a skyline capacity of 2,000' of 7/8" with a bare pull of 56,410 lbs, while the 175hp 6140 model has a 40' tower and a skyline capacity of 2,000' of 3/4" with a bare pull of 55,210 lbs. Madill has incorporated its trademark tilt open machinery house for full maintenance access.

TorkelH

Found something.
Madill

Madill now manufactures eight cable yarder models, including five swing yarders and three tower yarders.
The improved 255B swing yarder is capable of long span skyline logging with a motorized carriage or interlocked skyline logging with a slack pulling carriage. It has a 50foot tower, a Cat 450hp 3406E engine coupled to a twin disc five forward and one reverse powershift transmission.

The 124 model offers a 60foot tower, a Detroit 450 hp engine, front and rear main drum capacity of 2,550' of 7/8" line and 92,000 lbs of pull.

The 335hp 6250 and the 330 hp 120 models offer 50' towers, while the 230hp 6240 has a 40' tower.

Madill's tower yarders include the 450hp 172 fivedrum yarder with a 72' telescoping high strength tower with hydraulic cylinders for raising, telescoping and tilting. Its skyline drum has a 3,200' capacity of 1" and 135,000 lbs of pull.

The 330hp 6150 has a 50' tower and a skyline capacity of 2,000' of 7/8" with a bare pull of 56,410 lbs, while the 175hp 6140 model has a 40' tower and a skyline capacity of 2,000' of 3/4" with a bare pull of 55,210 lbs. Madill has incorporated its trademark tilt open machinery house for full maintenance access.

Hehe, I put it in the Thunderbird-forum, because it actually was a Thunderbird in Madill paint and it looked more like the Thunderbird TSY-6--- series of swing yarders. I remember even Anderson calling it the mad chicken :tong. Harry Schluckebier of Walterville, Or have 2 of these for sale now.

The miniyarder tmy-40 must have become the 6140 and ty-50 the 6150 , I guess.

The 255B must have been the TSY-6255 SLR with an extra drum for skyline, as I understand.

The 6240 must have been the predecessor to TSY-6140 SLR.

But maybe someone else know some more of this, and if there in fact was produced any of these models?

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
The 6250 was an awesome yarder- only 3 were ever built. I cannot remember who got the 1st one- it was a Thunderbird (tan) and may have gone overseas or into Canada it seems like. The second one went to Bighorn Logging at Vernonia Oregon, and was also tan.

This yarder was one of the main reasons the Madill/Cypress group pulled the trigger and purchased the Ross Corporation (Thunderbird) group. It (The Thunderbird 6250) was a faster, more versatile machine designed as a 'Madill 120 Killer' and it would have really hurt Madill's presence in the 100,000 lb class swing yarder market. Thunderbird had several machines that were doing serious damage to Madill's market share, and Ross was openly for sale, so Madill figured they had better buy it before someone else did and really put the hurt to them in the USA. Thunderbird had a much broader product line, and had 70% of the American yarder market, as well as a good deal of business Ross was pulling out of Canada and New Zealand. Madill was nervous (rightly so) so the ended it with a check, then discontinued production of nearly all the Thunderbird machinery line.

Sorry, about the yarder above: Madill purchased all of the assets and inventory of Ross Corporation, and this included a bunch of brand-new tan machines. many (including this 6250 sold to Anderson by Madill (Phil Copeland was actually the salesman who sold it) and painted orange over the TB tan. The machine is capable of all logging systems (including grapple) and has big haulback drum brakes for SLR standing skyline work.

I have the Thunderbird 6250 brochures somwhere and will scan. Madill killed production of the machine, and never produced any literature on it, as none were built under Madill ownership.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Thunderbird TY-90 S/N Y-9049

As long as you've got me in the Thunderbird thread, here's a few pics of Thunderbird TY-90 Serial Number Y-9049. It was mounted on a Skagit T-100 Trailer and painted white. Someone has added some strange guarding around the guyline drums, controls, and raising line.

Attachments

• 133725194_full.jpg
    133725194_full.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5,500
  • 134666447_full.jpg
    134666447_full.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 5,482
  • 134666587_full.jpg
    134666587_full.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 5,294
  • 133726073_full.jpg
    133726073_full.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 5,307
  • 133725499_full.jpg
    133725499_full.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5,341

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
The 6250 was an awesome yarder- only 3 were ever built. I cannot remember who got the 1st one- it was a Thunderbird (tan) and may have gone overseas or into Canada it seems like. The second one went to Bighorn Logging at Vernonia Oregon, and was also tan.

This yarder was one of the main reasons the Madill/Cypress group pulled the trigger and purchased the Ross Corporation (Thunderbird) group. It (The Thunderbird 6250) was a faster, more versatile machine designed as a 'Madill 120 Killer' and it would have really hurt Madill's presence in the 100,000 lb class swing yarder market. Thunderbird had several machines that were doing serious damage to Madill's market share, and Ross was openly for sale, so Madill figured they had better buy it before someone else did and really put the hurt to them in the USA. Thunderbird had a much broader product line, and had 70% of the American yarder market, as well as a good deal of business Ross was pulling out of Canada and New Zealand. Madill was nervous (rightly so) so the ended it with a check, then discontinued production of nearly all the Thunderbird machinery line.

Sorry, about the yarder above: Madill purchased all of the assets and inventory of Ross Corporation, and this included a bunch of brand-new tan machines. many (including this 6250 sold to Anderson by Madill (Phil Copeland was actually the salesman who sold it) and painted orange over the TB tan. The machine is capable of all logging systems (including grapple) and has big haulback drum brakes for SLR standing skyline work.

I have the Thunderbird 6250 brochures somwhere and will scan. Madill killed production of the machine, and never produced any literature on it, as none were built under Madill ownership.

Very interesting thanks for the info !!! kind of looks like Cypress 6280

(Thunderill) looking forward to the brochure..........

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Very interesting thanks for the info !!! kind of looks like Cypress 6280

(Thunderill) looking forward to the brochure..........

Cyperbird?? most of the Thunderbird stuff incorporated everybody else's good ideas. There's an awful lot of Skagit and Washington technology in those tan machines. Not much Madill- the Ross boys hated Wichita's, hated Detroits, hated one-piece towers, hated tank-mountings, and etc. None of these common Madill features were ever used on the Thunderbird machines. Towers were ALWAYS telescopers, brakes were ALWAYS Eatons, Power was Cat/Cummins, transmissions were usually Twin-Disc, and so on.

That 6250 was a really cool yarder. all-hydraulic, electronic joysic controls, etc. Way ahead of its time. Cypress-style boom indeed!

The Madill 120 was gonna get hurt, and Madill was apparently too proud to let that happen. As it turn out, they (Madill) had more credit/buying power than brain power!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Here are some pics of that 6250 working in California.

Attachments

• 6250Skidding.jpg
    6250Skidding.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 6,101
  • BrandonGulchJDSF.jpg
    BrandonGulchJDSF.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 5,333
  • DSC00527.jpg
    DSC00527.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 5,190
  • BrandonGulch2.jpg
    BrandonGulch2.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 5,210

Kiwi Logger

As long as you've got me in the Thunderbird thread, here's a few pics of Thunderbird TY-90 Serial Number Y-9049. It was mounted on a Skagit T-100 Trailer and painted white. Someone has added some strange guarding around the guyline drums, controls, and raising line.

The TY90 photos look like somewhere here in New Zealand, the extra guarding works well here as we log full stems usually around 30-35m in length that is around I think 115 feet. the extra guarding helps to protect the valving from getting all beat up etc when landing the long logs.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
Hey all. I'm really enjoying the pics and info on everything throughout the forestry equipment forum. I was wondering if anyone had any of the specs on the Thunderbird 700 RB excavator. I'm not sure the year of the one I'm looking at but we are looking at maybe purchasing one for piling brush. Thanks.

I know I've a sales brochure around somewhere for the 700 RB, but all I could find for now is the 800 RB. I can't get my scanner to work either... not my day I guess... but here's the specs for the 800 if that helps you.... the 800 seems to have been a 40/45 metric ton machine, so I'd presume the 700 might have been in the 300 size class maybe?

RB 800 SPECS
===============================
98,000 lb
3406 Cat @300hp
4 pumps 268 gpm
Drawbar pull 76,800 lb
Swing torque 106,000 ft-lb
Swing speed 6 RPM
Reach 39' with 12' stick
Lift @ 30' 30,000 lb
Arm force 45,966 with 10' arm; 40,800 with 12' arm
Bucket breakout force 64,700 lb
Track length 17'3" 10 roller
Track width 11' 11"
Ground clearance 26"
Digging bucket 48"
Cleanup bucket 72"
Grapple TLG 58"

I've never seen a 700 for sure, or an 800 that I can remember, but I do remember that International Paper out of Veneta, Oregon had a 900 RB for a while, before the company there was history. It was a big excavator, considering it replaced a Cat 229! All I remember about it was that it was about two years old in 1994 and it might have been a one-of-a-kind demo machine. Can you shed any light one the Thunderchicken roadbuilders, Contract Logger?

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Cyperbird?? most of the Thunderbird stuff incorporated everybody else's good ideas. There's an awful lot of Skagit and Washington technology in those tan machines. Not much Madill- the Ross boys hated Wichita's, hated Detroits, hated one-piece towers, hated tank-mountings, and etc. None of these common Madill features were ever used on the Thunderbird machines. Towers were ALWAYS telescopers, brakes were ALWAYS Eatons, Power was Cat/Cummins, transmissions were usually Twin-Disc, and so on.

That 6250 was a really cool yarder. all-hydraulic, electronic joysic controls, etc. Way ahead of its time. Cypress-style boom indeed!

The Madill 120 was gonna get hurt, and Madill was apparently too proud to let that happen. As it turn out, they (Madill) had more credit/buying power than brain power!

They got the Eaton & Cummins part right, not crazy about the electronic joystick.. I prefer the cobalt air. not electic over air:my2c Birdill !!! love to try one out.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I know I've a sales brochure around somewhere for the 700 RB, but all I could find for now is the 800 RB. I can't get my scanner to work either... not my day I guess... but here's the specs for the 800 if that helps you.... the 800 seems to have been a 40/45 metric ton machine, so I'd presume the 700 might have been in the 300 size class maybe?

RB 800 SPECS
===============================
98,000 lb
3406 Cat @300hp
4 pumps 268 gpm
Drawbar pull 76,800 lb
Swing torque 106,000 ft-lb
Swing speed 6 RPM
Reach 39' with 12' stick
Lift @ 30' 30,000 lb
Arm force 45,966 with 10' arm; 40,800 with 12' arm
Bucket breakout force 64,700 lb
Track length 17'3" 10 roller
Track width 11' 11"
Ground clearance 26"
Digging bucket 48"
Cleanup bucket 72"
Grapple TLG 58"

I've never seen a 700 for sure, or an 800 that I can remember, but I do remember that International Paper out of Veneta, Oregon had a 900 RB for a while, before the company there was history. It was a big excavator, considering it replaced a Cat 229! All I remember about it was that it was about two years old in 1994 and it might have been a one-of-a-kind demo machine. Can you shed any light one the Thunderchicken roadbuilders, Contract Logger?

There were a whole bunch of TB Roadbuilders, yes. I have all the brochures- in Washington and not here in Alaska. I do have some good pics here in Alaska- but, my favorite laptop is getting a rebuild right now (it's also the one with my scanning software on it), so we're a week or 2 out on posting pics.

The early 700RB, 800RB and 900RB were ground-up machines built around the 838, 940, and 1146 log loader line. Crazy powerful, but crazy expensive. built until around 1995-ish.

Later, with the Hyundai machines, there were the 500RB (a Hyundai 160 guarded up) 600RB (Hyundai 200 guarded) 700RB (290 guarded), etc.

The Hyundai lines were also used for the strokers- 736DL, 836DL, 738, etc. Then Madill took over and continued the Hyundai 1236DL stroker and 1238 log loader, both built around Hyundai 290LC carriers.

In the mid 80's, Ross Murray was throwing out millions of $$$$ developing the logger line, and experimented with at least 2 940's with low-cab, buncher-boom machines with 36" Rotosaw heads to compete with the Cat 245 bunchers Halton was building at the time. I got to see these giant bunchers, but cameras were not allowed:( They were huge dinosaur bunchers.
Both those TB bunchers burned (forest Fire)and were scrapped around 1990.

To the fellow asking about the 700RB- Ross built so many different units that size, I'm not sure which it would be. Some ground-up machines were 700RB's early, then later some Hyundai 290 conversions were called 700RB's also. Also, Ross was very parts-proprietary, so a serial-number may not work to tell the difference either. Hyundai tags were removed and often shredded!

Wish I could help, but truth is, I'd avoid it. Could be a parts nightmare.

TorkelH

6250 and so on

This was very interesting Contract Logger, and also good to see you posting some pics again! As Harry Schluckebier advertise two 6250's for sale and the last one still is with Andersons I guess we have pretty much control on these machines.

What I also understand it's better to go buy one of these than the 120?

What about some of the other new machines Thunderbird adveritized just before the takeover, was it ever produced any of them?

And last, what about the 255B, what was that?

Torkel

TorkelH

Irritating

This was very interesting Contract Logger, and also good to see you posting some pics again! As Harry Schluckebier advertise two 6250's for sale and the last one still is with Andersons I guess we have pretty much control on these machines.

What I also understand it's better to go buy one of these than the 120?

What about some of the other new machines Thunderbird adveritized just before the takeover, was it ever produced any of them?

And last, what about the 255B, what was that?

Torkel
Extremely irritating that I need to shrink pictures before I post, so then I just give up instead of posting pictures

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Extremely irritating that I need to shrink pictures before I post, so then I just give up instead of posting pictures

I fully agree 120% - what happened:confused:mad: I like to post pictures cause I hope somebody out there enjoy my pictures, but making "doubble shifts" makes me crazy....:mad: