• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

REDFOX

This machine has a TMY 50 serial number, and was apparently stretched and converted at Ross Corp before heading down to NZ. Apparently still has 8v71T power plant.

This Machine in photo is a TMY70 #7040 owned by a Contractor in the Waikato. Mangoihe do have a Yarder Serial #R5065. A 50 with a 70ft Tube. We have another like this in the South Island R5078. Does anyone know if this was a Customer request or just what was available at the time?

log frog

Thats interesting. Apparently R5065 (which I mistook for the 70 pictured) went back to Ross for a refurb, whilst there it was decided to stretch it and add the tube. Other mods include extending the hydo oil tank, to accomodate more oil for the tube ram.
This Machine in photo is a TMY70 #7040 owned by a Contractor in the Waikato. Mangoihe do have a Yarder Serial #R5065. A 50 with a 70ft Tube. We have another like this in the South Island R5078. Does anyone know if this was a Customer request or just what was available at the time?

Roadswitcher

R5065

Thats interesting. Apparently R5065 (which I mistook for the 70 pictured) went back to Ross for a refurb, whilst there it was decided to stretch it and add the tube. Other mods include extending the hydo oil tank, to accomodate more oil for the tube ram.

Yeh Froggy, after a brief moment of self doubt, I realised we had to be referring to different yarders. Pic is of R5065 on delivery to Ken Robertson back in 93. He only had it a short while and sold it to Ross Davis. I also had a bit to do with the delivery R5078 to Les Tressider. I'm pretty sure both machines had been converted to 70' for previous owners back in the US before coming down under. We often referred to them as TMY 57's. R5065 also had the extra retro guy drum.

Attachments

• tmy50c.jpg
    tmy50c.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,873

log frog

Roadswitcher, having worked under them, how does the '57' stack up against the 70? Has 5065 had an engine upgrade, or still running the 8V71T? Did it also get a tag line?
Yeh Froggy, after a brief moment of self doubt, I realised we had to be referring to different yarders. Pic is of R5065 on delivery to Ken Robertson back in 93. He only had it a short while and sold it to Ross Davis. I also had a bit to do with the delivery R5078 to Les Tressider. I'm pretty sure both machines had been converted to 70' for previous owners back in the US before coming down under. We often referred to them as TMY 57's. R5065 also had the extra retro guy drum.

Roadswitcher

Roadswitcher, having worked under them, how does the '57' stack up against the 70? Has 5065 had an engine upgrade, or still running the 8V71T? Did it also get a tag line?

In operational terms, no problems with the 70' tower on the TMY 50. I guess if one was considering the change over it would come down to a cost benefit exercise - personally, I would be reluctant - the TMY 50 is a pretty well balanced yarder as it is. Both 5065 and 5078 had their original 71 series jimmys in when they came to NZ and this is one area I would certainly consider an upgrade to the 92 series when an overhaul was due. The extra 'giddy up' is quite noticeable in 4th and 5th gear on the 70's. They also had the standard production Tagline drums. Actually, I've only come across one TMY 50 (I think #R5044) down here that didn't have a Tag drum and it maybe working around your area. While on the subject of upgrades, I also have mixed views about adding an extra guy drum to the earlier four drum machines. In the four drum configuration there is plenty of line capacity whereas, if you look at Furpo's pic, when the fifth drum is added, you end up with the three middle drums with vastly reduced line capacity - can be a pain sometimes. Short extensions on stanby are a must.

log frog

Excellent info, Roadswitcher. Yes, 5044 is ours and doesn't have a tag drum.
In operational terms, no problems with the 70' tower on the TMY 50. I guess if one was considering the change over it would come down to a cost benefit exercise - personally, I would be reluctant - the TMY 50 is a pretty well balanced yarder as it is. Both 5065 and 5078 had their original 71 series jimmys in when they came to NZ and this is one area I would certainly consider an upgrade to the 92 series when an overhaul was due. The extra 'giddy up' is quite noticeable in 4th and 5th gear on the 70's. They also had the standard production Tagline drums. Actually, I've only come across one TMY 50 (I think #R5044) down here that didn't have a Tag drum and it maybe working around your area. While on the subject of upgrades, I also have mixed views about adding an extra guy drum to the earlier four drum machines. In the four drum configuration there is plenty of line capacity whereas, if you look at Furpo's pic, when the fifth drum is added, you end up with the three middle drums with vastly reduced line capacity - can be a pain sometimes. Short extensions on stanby are a must.

Last edited:

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Iphone pics 624.jpgIphone pics 588.jpgIphone pics 615.jpgIphone pics 618.jpgIphone pics 623.jpg
Does any one have pictures of a thunderbird tsy6355
Here's a pic a 6355 and a 155 at the Oregon Logging Conference in Eugene last week. They were both for sale by Acme Manufacturing. No tags on either of them, but I believe the 155 came from Northern CA and the 6355 from Southern OR.

Madilll120

Occupation
school
Thanks you so much Jeremy m70,I built a 1/50 scale model of this machine back in the summer with only 3 photos,i took the measurments of a madill 124 thinking it would be the same as the 6355.i have three questions : does any one have specs on this beast,and what kind of undercarriage does it have,also is it close to a madill 124 in size?

k-9girl

Occupation
contractor,sub for my own company canine behaviore
Hello all you heavy equipment people!
I'm new to the post, my husband and we use to pressure wash,paint,detail and do the lettering on alot of thes old yarders,it was quite a job,some of them say "painted by kevin sproul" on the door.
Dose any one remember "Jack Smith", in pleasant hill oregon?
kevin use to do all his equipment,then we found Murry, and got the auction equipment all ready for sale,dose any one kow how to get ahold of Murry? I was the blond that road the elephant in the first auction in coburg oregon " they joked around and wanted lady Kadiva" so it was my nick name for a bit,would like to get ahold of him if any one could lead the way that would be great!:)

Roadswitcher

Some more boom modifications

Top pic is #5121. The boom had the complete make over at Madill before coming to NZ. This machine is the same yarder as in Furpo's recent post, 778.
Bottom pic was Winstone Allnut's #5141. Although not that clear in the shot there is also a swivel fairlead added for the front main which eliminates the reverse bend. From memory, he had them fabricated locally in Nelson (NZ).

Attachments

• 255 640.jpg
    255 640.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,213
  • Allnut 640.jpg
    Allnut 640.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,177

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
We bought the Fairlead for $500.cdn, 2 days fab/weld to install...you can see the problems we ran into with the old style at least it wasn't a new line. I'm thinking yarding down hill swinging to get the log caused the haulback to run up and over the roller??? Oh well fixed now and fairly inexpensive....you got me thinking about the front main now RoadswitcherS5003061.jpgS5003075.jpg

Scott S

We bought the Fairlead for $500.cdn, 2 days fab/weld to install...you can see the problems we ran into with the old style at least it wasn't a new line. I'm thinking yarding down hill swinging to get the log caused the haulback to run up and over the roller??? Oh well fixed now and fairly inexpensive....you got me thinking about the front main now RoadswitcherView attachment 100182View attachment 100183
Exactly what I was looking for thanks.

sleddr

I'm looking for some info and specs on TSY 155 swing yarders - in particular S5142, a 1994 Model that was originally sold to Gall Logging. What would a comparable Madill machine be?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
If my memory serves me wright....101,000.lb with lines. boom ang gantry another 7000.lbs We had about 2500 ft haulbck on the drum...
Has anybody got the "real" weight of a 255 with all the lines on? We are moving past some scales for the first time and my low boy driver is concerned.

Scott S

Scott S

If my memory serves me wright....101,000.lb with lines. boom ang gantry another 7000.lbs We had about 2500 ft haulbck on the drum...

For everybody's info our TSY 255 with a 3406 Cat and perhaps 700lbs of rigging in the toolbox, 3000 feet of 1" swaged on the "haulback drum, 2000 feet of 3/4 swaged on the main drum, and 4500 feet of 9/16 swaged on the front drum weighed 121,000 lbs.

Good thing the scales were closed..:eek:

Scott S