• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tire Replacement

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Nothing yet Geoff, I just got my truck yesterday and I've got some upfitting to do on that first. If the snow cooperates, I'll be in better shape for tires next month.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
:eek:

I found a '95 F-SuperDuty from Texas with a PowerStroke and 5 speed, just what I was looking for. The truck is extremely clean, but currently has a flatbed. I'm pulling that off to put an aluminum dump body on. This truckwiull replace the '92 Chevy 3500 I've got, and will be used for the landscaping crew.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I realized the other day I never did a follow up to this thread. I ended up buying tires made by Solideal. The treads resemble a Bandag retread I often see on heavy trucks for winter use. I bought these along with six tires for my F-550 at the same time and the dealer cut me what I thought was a pretty good deal.

The tires as pictured now have about 200 hours on them. So far they're working out pretty well. They don't skuff up the turf as bad as the original tires (construction tractor tread) and don't hop on pavement as bad either. The down side is they don't have quite the traction that the originals did in mud. I can't push into a pile as before with these tires after a rain. I haven't been stuck yet, but there's no traction for pushing.

Another problem is the tires load up with mud easily, which then gets tracked onto pavement. The picture on the bottom shows one pass over pavement after crossing a construction area during rain. We had to spend about 10 minutes cleaning up from this.

All in all, I think these tires will work well for me, they worked fine in our snow operation and the benefits outweigh the downsides so far. I'll keep you posted on the way thery are wearing as time goes on.

Attachments

• Solideal tread.JPG
    Solideal tread.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 463
  • Solideal sidewall.JPG
    Solideal sidewall.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 448
  • Mud from tires.JPG
    Mud from tires.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 429

ricco

i have a few larger case skid steers and i do snow removal.i use me
ichelin all terrain radial tires.they last well and give a good ride,good traction,