• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TL130 floating seal

jt6nuhblsdtr5n3

My TL130 with the Daikin motor/final drives has at best guess a leaking floating seal - it's leaking a substantial quantity of gear oil out of the final drive between the motor and the sprocket. Drive is still strong so I'm sure the motor is still good but I need to fix it obviously.

Has anyone done this job? Do you need to fully strip the motor as well as the final drive, or can you just disassemble the final drive side of the unit to do the floating seal? The Takeuchi workshop manual sections on the unit have in order:
-disassembly of the final drive
-disassembly of the motor
-removal of the floating seal

But it's a full detail strip of the motor side - is this necessary, is there an impediment to stripping the final drive side that requires the motor side to also be fully stripped? Only thing I can think of is that it seems that you need to fully strip the motor to get the motor shaft out of the final drive, but that shouldn't stop taking the planet carrier out of the final drive anyway?

heymccall

The motor has to come off if you're gonna change the seal between the hydraulic oil and the gear oil. If you ain't changing that, then the motor can stay attached.Screenshot_20240331-082958_Drive.jpg

jt6nuhblsdtr5n3

Thanks, it's not that seal, it's the floating seal between the sprocket housing/final drive ring gear housing, and the mounting flange housing for the entire motor/final drive assembly. Part number 17 on page 8-22.

It's leaking pure gear oil, it doesn't look like there's any cross leakage from the hydraulic side.

Means I will need to remove the sprocket housing and make up the tools required to do that (socket for the castle nut, and a puller for the housing).

heymccall

I realize that it's only the floating seal leaking...it's just that many folks will go the extra steps to do the motor seal since the labor has already been expended (track and gearbox removal).