• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TO4 or TO2 transmission oil

FWD

I have a Dresser TD9-H dozer. It has 2900 hours on it and I have put on about 950 hours of that. The previous owner changed the oil in the transmission and differential steering clutch area at around 1000 hours ago. The previous owner gave me a service record of it since new. The service manual says to change that oil at 1000 hours, so that's what I intend to do. I have changed the pressure filter several times since I had it. The information on the Shell website says to use Shell Spirax S4CX 10W oil which is a TO4 oil and my distributor has in stock. The owners manual dated 1993 says to use TO2 oil. Perhaps there was no TO4 at that time. The dozer is a 1998. Would it be okay to go with the TO4?
FWD