• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Too much hydraulic fluid

Borg

I've got a 580K Case backhoe that I use around the property. Had some service on it a week ago and we filled it with hydraulic fluid. It's cold out this morning and I went to start for some routine work - hydraulics work very slowly / sluggish. Is it possible to overfill the reservoir? and if so, could this be the problem ?

Catback

Hydraulics work much slower/harder when it's cold. Let it warm up. As far as overfilling you need only to fill it to the sight glass in the tank.

mikebramel

I've got a 580K Case backhoe that I use around the property. Had some service on it a week ago and we filled it with hydraulic fluid. It's cold out this morning and I went to start for some routine work - hydraulics work very slowly / sluggish. Is it possible to overfill the reservoir? and if so, could this be the problem ?

You filled it with??? 32 46 68??? huge difference

fpgm04

I know you asked a question, but more information is needed.

When you say overfill, how over the full are you saying? A little over fill is not a big issue. However, if the tank is topped off, then you could have issues. The tank needs air space, as when various cylinders are operated the tank level will go up and down. Check your sight glass and lower the oil level if needed.

Was your hydraulic filter restriction lamp active on the instrument cluster and alarm sounding when cold? That would be normal if you are attempting operate with cold oil, but should go off after you warm up the vehicle. If you have slow hydraulics and no alarm with warm oil, then what oil did you use?

I believe the specification for hydraulic oil on a 580K is Case TCH oil. As Mike as stated, oil weight makes a big difference and you need to insure the oil you used meets the proper specification.