• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tool prices are stupid

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Just my opinion, but one of the best industrial application diesel engines, at least at the top of the list, is the old Deutz 912. Air cooled, eliminates the need of coolant/antifreeze and all components related. Built like an anvil. And the damn things would fire off in the cold with no need of glow plugs, starting fluid, or other start assist devices.
I had an IR air compressor with a three cylinder Deutz engine and it was a real oil burner but started easily, cold or hot. I rebuilt the engine and sold the compressor as was only 100cfm and needed larger for my blast line setting up at the time. It was a good running and quiet engine being quite smooth.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I had an IR air compressor with a three cylinder Deutz engine and it was a real oil burner but started easily, cold or hot. I rebuilt the engine and sold the compressor as was only 100cfm and needed larger for my blast line setting up at the time. It was a good running and quiet engine being quite smooth.

Miller makes an "Air Pack" welder/generator/compressor. One particular model used a Deutz F4L912, which is a 4 cylinder diesel, but cylinder #1, which oddly enough is the cylinder closest to the flywheel, was used to compress air into an air tank, cylinders 2, 3, and 4 were the diesel engine, so it technically would be considered and F3L912.

Welder Dave

The Thermo-Start would be removed or never installed if the ether injection was used. Could be catastrophic if used together.
The original Miller Air-Paks had a serious flaw that I think no one envisioned. I was talking to a Miller warranty depot about them. He said the problem was the "air" cylinder would wear out before the other cylinders because it didn't get the same lubrication as the engine cylinders. Apparently the diesel fuel also helps to lubricate the cylinder walls and piston rings. I thought the air cylinder would last longer but apparently not. Miller went to a belt driven compressor on the replacements.

1693TA

Occupation
Miller makes an "Air Pack" welder/generator/compressor. One particular model used a Deutz F4L912, which is a 4 cylinder diesel, but cylinder #1, which oddly enough is the cylinder closest to the flywheel, was used to compress air into an air tank, cylinders 2, 3, and 4 were the diesel engine, so it technically would be considered and F3L912.
I have seen that setup on a tire service truck in the past. Injection pump had one line missing and what looked like a "cap" installed where the delivery valve would be. Engine still ran smooth however.

I have a belt drive "Midland/Ross" air compressor pump to mount onto mine along with the swing mount. This compressor has it's own oil sump so no supply, or drainback line required. Also have an empty sheave, (pulley) groove on the harmonic balancer to drive it. Will probably install a D2 air governor to control the air rather than electrical clutch, or other electric control as the base will be air receiver(s).

Shortly after purchasing this machine I purchased a stick of 8" channel, and 10' of 6X8X3/16 wall tube. Planning to make a "U" shaped perimeter frame that is open on the control end and the other end beneath the batteries will be a large air receiver with two, or three lengths of the tube crosswise to the long frame runners. This will make for two, or three receivers. The balance that is open beneath the welder is to be a pull out drawer that will house tools, grinders, hammers, and consumables, etc. I have several heavy garage door rollers in which to hang the drawer from on the insides of the perimeter channels running lengthwise. Haven't quite decided on single, or two axles yet but I suppose it depends on weight and balance of the unit once together. I'm kind of leaning on a tandem setup.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The Thermo-Start would be removed or never installed if the ether injection was used. Could be catastrophic if used together.
The original Miller Air-Paks had a serious flaw that I think no one envisioned. I was talking to a Miller warranty depot about them. He said the problem was the "air" cylinder would wear out before the other cylinders because it didn't get the same lubrication as the engine cylinders. Apparently the diesel fuel also helps to lubricate the cylinder walls and piston rings. I thought the air cylinder would last longer but apparently not. Miller went to a belt driven compressor on the replacements.

Miller wasn't the only ones to do this trick. Schramm made a 450cfm compressor that had an 8V-71 Detroit driving a 6 cyl piston compressor. Also, Grimmer Schmitt made a 125cfm compressor that was a Ford 302 engine that had one side of the V-8 a gas engine, basically making it a 4 cyl, and the other side of the V-8 used to compress air.

1693TA

Occupation
Miller wasn't the only ones to do this trick. Schramm made a 450cfm compressor that had an 8V-71 Detroit driving a 6 cyl piston compressor. Also, Grimmer Schmitt made a 125cfm compressor that was a Ford 302 engine that had one side of the V-8 a gas engine, basically making it a 4 cyl, and the other side of the V-8 used to compress air.
Most of the agriculture tire dealers, and many of the road service guys had the Ford setup on their trucks around here.

Welder Dave

Maybe it's better with a gas engine. You don't see them anymore but they used to sell spark plug tire pumps. You take a spark plug out and put an adaptor in with an air hose.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I always thought the spark plug tyre pump was an invention of a West Australian fella, one Roy Menzel, in 1939. He was in business as a tyre retreader, when he reportedly thought up the idea.

He made a lot of money out of selling tens of thousands of his "Menzel air pump" throughout Australia from the late 1930's to the 1990's, and I was under the impression he gave a licence to Schrader to build their own version.

But it appears the Schrader version appeared a year earlier than Roy Menzel's version, so I'm guessing Roy Menzel simply copied the Schrader model - possibly because any Schrader patent didn't cover Australia.

But then again, it might have been an idea that wasn't patentable, as there might have been "prior art" in existence long before Schrader produced their tyre pump.

You still find the occasional Menzel spark plug tyre pump for sale, even though they haven't been made for over 30 years. Compact 12V compressors put the spark plug tyre pump out of business.

I did find out that NASCO, which was General-Motors-Holdens spare parts and accessories division, also produced their version of the spark plug tyre pump (in 1939), so I'm guessing the idea wasn't patented.
However, the 1939 local motoring article in the images below says that Roy Menzel had applied to acquire a patent on his design. However, there's no indication whether he ever got that patent, the application could possibly have been rejected.

The Schrader version - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/258796099?searchTerm=Spark plug tyre pump

Schrader tyre pump - 1939 - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/260878540?searchTerm=Spark plug tyre pump

Scharder tyre pump - 1938 - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/174116796?searchTerm=Spark plug tyre pump

Attachments

• Menzel.jpg
    Menzel.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 6
  • MENZEL-1.JPG
    MENZEL-1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
Maybe it's better with a gas engine. You don't see them anymore but they used to sell spark plug tire pumps. You take a spark plug out and put an adaptor in with an air hose.
Had one of those as a kid. With use it got hot in the base of the hose as had a rubber coated metal check valve in it but worked well. Never took it apart so don't know if it were a spring loaded ball, or disc affair. Had long forgotten about it. Always coiled and kept in my truck behind the seat with a small tire tool kit on the other side behind, or under the seat.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none

That probably worked about as well as Ford trying to inject fuel into the last two cylinders on the 6.4 on the exhaust stroke to feed the after treatment system . . .

mike holcomb

I pay for whatever I buy off Snap on truck when he comes, I need something I buy it.. I told him to stop coming till I need something. Its the same **** on the truck that I already have. I can't keep buying a ratchet every week he shows up just to buy something

Attachments

• 20230712_105031.jpg
    20230712_105031.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
We call those guys, “shoppers”..
They aren’t gonna buy anything but go out and spend 15-30 minutes just looking around and chewing the fat..(lol)

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Was that Ford or international?

Don't know, probably both. I am under the impression that was an attempt to achieve the emissions standards without using DEF. Didn't Cat flunk out with the Acert stuff trying to do the same thing?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That probably worked about as well as Ford trying to inject fuel into the last two cylinders on the 6.4 on the exhaust stroke to feed the after treatment system . . .
Was that Ford or international?
Don't know, probably both. I am under the impression that was an attempt to achieve the emissions standards without using DEF. Didn't Cat flunk out with the Acert stuff trying to do the same thing?
The in-cylinder aftertreatment burner injection was not unique to any one brand. Cummins did it also and afaik still does in some engines. Just that some companies took the time to make sure it worked right and others did not seem to care.

cfherrman

The way I remember it is everyone tried to not use def and they were Regen only trucks from 08-10

Truck Shop

Tools-I don't count wrenches-it's all the specialty engine tools I have-Series 60, Cat and Cummins.
those tools are not harbor freight. Most mechanics don't have them, the shops supply them or did.
I told the daughter when I'm dead there yours do what you want with them, But the 1910 REO
badge on the front of my tool box-that's a 1,000 bucks don't let it go for less. The rest 10 cents on
the dollar.