• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skyking1

Not this time. I have to hold and oppose, since the line is just clamped to the boom and I could kink it of I go after it without backing it up. I tried a few love taps and the line was bending precipitously! :eek:

aighead

@Flat Thunder Channel I love the idea of a power matrix! That's a great idea! Mine is also belt drive and very smooth until it has to fill sections less than maybe quarter inch and it starts jumping back and forth like crazy.

I made a thing for a girl I work with, last night, that, as a practice run, I'm very pleased with. She's one of those people that can seemingly sell anything on FB Marketplace, so we're coming up with some ideas to take advantage of this laser. I can see a world where I have about 5 lasers up and running at the same time (the comment so nice, I made it twice, apparently). That world is still a ways off, but would still be cheaper than the $10k laser systems out there. I guess I should learn more about them too... When I brought it in to work, immediately, 2 or 3 other people had ideas for me.

HATCHEQUIP

Not this time. I have to hold and oppose, since the line is just clamped to the boom and I could kink it of I go after it without backing it up. I tried a few love taps and the line was bending precipitously! :eek:
Take and hit the flats of the outer fitting nut a few licks with a hammer even if you have to back up the other side of the fitting with another hammer then she will turn loose.

skyking1

I broke them all. There was only one really bad one that needed the full on scissor treatment. Now I'm putting it back together, working my way back out. I changed out five lines total to the main valve body-boom.
I had earlier done the 4 boom cylinder hoses boy those were gravy compared to today!

Flat Thunder Channel

It's been awhile.....I watched one of my favorite YouTubers use one of these ignition spark tester and had to have one.

It's a Lisle brand tool. I always thought their tools were pretty good quality. Now I just need to organize the shop well enough to easily locate it. Previously it was always a old/spare spark plug.

IMG_20210611_185703_891.jpg

DIYDAVE

Alright, I haven't messed with something so enjoyable for a while. I got home and straight away set up the laser, watched 3 LightBurn (the recommended software) tutorials and got on my merry way. Ended up screwing around for about 7 and a half hours drawing different stuff and experimenting. I expected the learning curve to be much longer than it is as I made several engravings that I'm thrilled with, as first attempts. This is very exciting to me and I can see big potential for using it with who knows what. These were done on two different materials, a very small sample sized piece of plywood they send with the laser (I cut holes in it! Probably 1/8" thick) and a piece of cardboard/pressboard stuff I have covering my workbench. The only real problem I have so far is that the entire machine jumps around a bit as it moves. Slowing the machine down helps a lot but I'll have to figure out a way to bolt it to a stage of some sort.

View attachment 237786

I started off just printing random stuff on the cardboardy junk but it engraved beautifully. You can see just shapes drawn in the software, then two pictures, the little tree is a close replica to a tattoo I have and then the dark stuff near the top right is a map of my neighborhood, that one is blurry due to the machine shaking. Too cool!

View attachment 237788

OOH, I gots a money making ideer fer ya! Hang on to your hat, you could make loads of $$, branding millennials, steada tattooin them! Alls you need to build is a clamping table to keep em from squirmin, and a ball gag, to keep from havin to listen to them whine...:D

Flat Thunder Channel

I think somewhere somehow I can convince young'ins laser burning art work on your body is a great idea. Heck I might even get them to pay for the service....... All I have to do is post it on the internet. Haha

The Peej

It's been awhile.....I watched one of my favorite YouTubers use one of these ignition spark tester and had to have one.

It's a Lisle brand tool. I always thought their tools were pretty good quality. Now I just need to organize the shop well enough to easily locate it. Previously it was always a old/spare spark plug.

View attachment 240678
Watch wes work? I like him too and saw him using the spark tester

aighead

@DIYDAVE I haven't had the guts to stick my hand in there yet... I'm assuming it would brand the same as an iron... It burns wood pretty easily and last I checked skin was not quite as tough as wood.

Flat Thunder Channel

Somewhere in the world of despising 'hot saws' I found myself in need of more abrasive cutoff discs!?

My torch gas ran out several weeks ago and I just can't seem to get them filled. I managed to make the journey to my supplier (several weeks ago), but they were out of oxygen on that particular occasion. It isn't that great of a distance, but regular business hours only allows me to try it on Saturday mornings. Enter all the other roadblocks now; scheduling, playing Mr. Mom, other projects with Saturday morning completion requirements. Yada yada you get the picture.

I recently found a new carbide tipped sawzall blades and gave one a shot. I think it has its place in the shop, but it doesn't compare to the quick and dirty abrasive saw. I found these abrasive discs online and decided to bite the bullet and buy a box. Much to my surprise they are made in America! Even though I dislike all the flying sharpenel these put off I am excited to give one a try! #merica

Do you have a preferred saw or power tool for these discs? I have used Metabo's before in industrial settings. They work great, but I'm open to suggestions on models and potentially even different makes. I don't want fall for the cheepo Metabo version; ie the green la cheapo grinder with a Metabo sticker. I tried purchasing a DeWalt cutoff saw specially for these discs, but ended up with the wrong model.

IMG_20210616_233550_315.jpg IMG_20210616_233550_486.jpg PXL_20210613_222507572.jpg PXL_20210613_222358444.jpg

Welder Dave

They are made for an angle grinder and you need the right backing plate and/or inner and outer arbor and nut. Not sure why they say for portable saws and show a small angle grinder??? Be very careful not to flex them or let them get stuck. They will shatter and pieces will fly. Wear a face shield. Metabo merged with Hitachi but the good Metabo grinders have a slip clutch and are top of the line. The discs you bought are 6in. which may limit your choices of grinders. Some grinders are 5/6in. and come with guards for both. You want a guard so you don't slice your fingers off. The good thing is I don't think there is a cheap grinder that uses 6in. discs. Dewalt, Makita, Metabo, Walter(made by Metabo but have an exclusive model with anti-vibration) tried a demo at a Walter training session. It was the smoothest grinder I've ever used but not sure you need something like that for occasional use. Some grinders have soft start and even variable speed but not sure if you need those either.

Flat Thunder Channel

They are made for an angle grinder and you need the right backing plate and/or inner and outer arbor and nut. Not sure why they say for portable saws and show a small angle grinder??? Be very careful not to flex them or let them get stuck. They will shatter and pieces will fly. Wear a face shield. Metabo merged with Hitachi but the good Metabo grinders have a slip clutch and are top of the line. The discs you bought are 6in. which may limit your choices of grinders. Some grinders are 5/6in. and come with guards for both. You want a guard so you don't slice your fingers off. The good thing is I don't think there is a cheap grinder that uses 6in. discs. Dewalt, Makita, Metabo, Walter(made by Metabo but have an exclusive model with anti-vibration) tried a demo at a Walter training session. It was the smoothest grinder I've ever used but not sure you need something like that for occasional use. Some grinders have soft start and even variable speed but not sure if you need those either.

Great explanation! I have been using them for years incorrectly; take the guard off a smaller grinder and cut with an unsafe piece of equipment. Largely because I didn't know Metabo's existed until using them at a professional shop.

I am really interested in one with a slip clutch and soft start. Those sound like great features. Are you implying that all (or most) 6" units with those features are made by Metabo regardless of brand selection?

One other feature I liked about those Metabo's is they would shut down when they overheated. This was a fail safe to keep them from melting. We would take multiple units to a job site. When one shut down from heat we would sit it to cool for a couple minutes. We really beat those units up and they seemed to last.

Ben House

Occupation
Carpenter
I use the Pearl Cut-Off wheels, I think they are 6 inch. I love those things, you've gotta keep them from binding and chattering but the cut very well. I like flap disks for cleaning up the edges after.

Welder Dave

Walter has top of the line Zip disc wheels too. I know Makita has grinders with soft start and a bunch of electronics. They actually have dozens of models. Dewalt has several models too. Their 5/6in. model is popular because it has a compact shape. Have to do some searching on the net. I got a really good deal on a Metabo 5in. rat tail grinder at a trade show. Red-A-Arc had pallets of them for $139 cad. List price was over $200! Too good of a deal to pass up, I thought about about buying a bunch of them for resale. If you're careful I don't know if you really need soft start or variable speed. I also bought a Mastercraft 5" with a rotatable head at Canadian tire. I needed a grinder and the only reason I bought it is because it was on sale for $29.95 down from $99.95. It works OK but the switch is a little wonky. I also bought a 10 pack of their cut off discs on sale for $9.99. I won't make that mistake again. I bought some Tyrolit cut off discs from a friend (best value for the money) and no comparison. One tyrolit lasts for about 4 of the Mastercraft garbage. Sait makes decent wheels but availability can be an issue and customer service wasn't very good when I worked for a large industrial supply that sold many brands. The Metabo is much better than the Mastercraft grinder. Look at the amp rating when buying a grinder. Some have a much lower rating which translates to... they are for lighter duty and won't hold up as well.

Bluox

Great explanation! I have been using them for years incorrectly; take the guard off a smaller grinder and cut with an unsafe piece of equipment. Largely because I didn't know Metabo's existed until using them at a professional shop.

I am really interested in one with a slip clutch and soft start. Those sound like great features. Are you implying that all (or most) 6" units with those features are made by Metabo regardless of brand selection?

One other feature I liked about those Metabo's is they would shut down when they overheated. This was a fail safe to keep them from melting. We would take multiple units to a job site. When one shut down from heat we would sit it to cool for a couple minutes. We really beat those units up and they seemed to last.
What ever you get make sure it is a 6" those are set up for the cutting wheels. Keep the guard on it .
I have an old metabo that keeps on going and a newer makita in the shop both work well.
Bob

Aarons81

X2 for the Walter Zip discs. But i bought one of these the other day to try. Seems ok so far but time will tell.View attachment 241046 it has to last 4 times as long to be cost effective but the other advantage is that it doesn't decease in diameter as it wears

I tried one of those about 10 years ago and I didn't feel like they cut as fast as a fiber disc. They also felt like they were constantly vibrating off the material, Just my .02

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We use the diamond cutoff wheels, they're nice for cutting rod/rebar, small stock. Heavy plate cutting I go back to regular .045" wheels, especially on my 6", that's my cutting wheel machine.

Bluox

I was at the local lumber yard and they have a new display of carbide skillsaw blades 6 1/2 to 14 and a lot of them were for cutting metal . The prices weren't that bad if I need to cut thinner metal in the future I 'm going to try some .
Can't remember the name but they are red.
I have a 14" carbide cold chop saw and it cuts well.
Bob