• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tools/gauges for excavator maintenance?

Gary Layton

IR gun for temperature measurement -- any specific models to avoid? Any base specifications to consider when purchasing one?

Pressure gauges for hydraulics -- recommendations for general-purpose use with an excavator?

I have a 2021 Takeuchi TB370 and a 2006 CAT 320CL -- do gauge sets typically have "hookups" to pressure ports that are universal...or will the Takeuchi be metric and the CAT might be standard? A CAT mechanic told me the 2006 CAT I have was the year when CAT went from standard to metric and my machine has both standard and metric parts on it.

Is there a gauge set that will work with both standard and metric? Or are pressure test ports a universal size?

What range of pressures should I be able to check with gauges?

Multimeter -- already have this.

Basic sockets, drives, wrenches, pliers, etc. -- already have good assortment.

What other basic testing equipment should I have on hand?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Flow meter

Thousands of dollars of plugs, caps, test hoses, adapters, lollipops and specialty fittings of all sizes including NPT, NPSM, JIC, 30 Komatsu flare, BSP, BSPP, STORB, ORFS, DIN this & that, code 61, code 62, only acquired over 40 years.

Gary Layton

Wow. Lots of stuff you've got. I don't need anything like that, I don't have the knowledge to use that stuff. But I figure some of the basics I could use to get data when necessary to help diagnose a problem.

Is a flow meter the same as a pressure gauge for hydraulics?

I will be on the job with the excavator later this week and plan to be down there several weeks working with it. Maybe I can send some pictures of the kind of fittings I've got and some of you guys can tell me what kind of adapters I might need to match up to a pressure gauge/flow meter.

I am not having any hydraulic problems at this point but would like to understand how to gather basic data in the event something crops up.

ahart

Just based on my own experience, most hydraulic test tooling, fittings, adapters, etc. are acquired when the need arises and like Coaldust says, after 40 years you end up with quite the collection. I would recommend you have a couple 500 psi, a couple 1500 psi and a couple 5000 psi gauges along with test hoses as needed. As far as pressure taps, you’ll have to get those as you need them.

excavator

Honestly, looking at the kinds of questions you are asking you would be best off having a knowledgeable mechanic work on your machine. Hydraulics are nothing to mess with, can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and get quite expensive when you make mistakes. Not trying to be nasty, just another guy with 40 years experience.

Gary Layton

Makes sense. I have been reading about hydraulics, basics...I freely say I know squat about them...know enough to understand about injection injuries from leaks, learning the basics now. I'm sure that when I do have a hydraulic problem I'll have someone that knows the ropes running the show. But the pros here keep asking folks with problems, "what is the pressure here or there" as part of a basic diagnosis. If just getting basic data is beyond the ken of most folks that's OK, too. I do treework on the side...takedowns, hazard removals, rigging, etc. Maybe hydraulics is like that...a long road of building several skill sets before you can safely get off the ground and do simple things in dangerous places.

If the pros tell me, "slow down, stand back, you're gonna get hurt", I'm not offended, I am glad someone knows enough to be cautionary.

Coaldust

Occupation
I haven’t paid much attention to the OEM’s much lately because every day I get older and more removed from the dealership realm which I lived in for a long time. Some of the OEM’s sold nice, pre-packaged test kits, like Komatsu. Gauges, hoses, test ports, tachometer, blah blah. The Komatsu kit for the dash 3-5 machines was pretty slick. I know that dates me.

Fun trivia my greasy, HEF friends. Why did Komatsu never make a dash 4 (shi) designed excavator?

JD955SC

Caterpillar sells excellent quality gauges that are very clear and readable and they have a ton of different ranges. You need to talk to the parts guy that knows where they are in the dealer tools catalog.

Cat also sells very good test hoses, fittings, and adapters. The hoses and gauges are NPT fitting ends you screw on quick connect adapters to each end. My hoses are made up with female adapters on each end and the gauge has the same style male adapter as the machine has. I exclusively work on Cat though so it’s easy because almost all their stuff uses one style.

As for the IR thermometer most anything will do. I’d recommend getting the kind with the two circle laser that shows the spot range of the measurement vs the single dot. Remember that you can’t shoot shiny aluminum or anything reflective and get an accurate reading either.

Gary Layton

Good input, Coaldust and JD...thanks. A kit could be a good starting point. The IR, 2 circle laser vs dot is good info.

Coaldust

Occupation
If I have to start from scratch and install test ports on something, I use Cat. Some guys prefer Stauff.

The Cat ports and couplers are made by Parker. PD series. I buy them from my Parker store for significantly less than NC Machinery.

Purchasing hoses, get a couple long ones, at a minimum, that reach the cab so you can read pump on and two while working the machine. 662F1895-29E9-4B67-8BDD-60CEF12D8765.jpeg

Coaldust

Occupation
I hear ya. I’m running out of room, too.
I keep my flow meter next to my air fryer in the kitchen.

Which brings up another question. I’m not getting any younger. What happens to all this $hit when I croak? A couple of you experienced field guys and myself, are the only ones that could identify most of it. Tens of thousands of dollars worth of “stuff”.

I think I’ll tell my Wife and girlfriend just to host a giant HEF garage sale and invite all of you. They have never met each other, so it will be a good opportunity to get to know one another. 97215052-F37D-43ED-9F5D-3C935899C48A.jpeg

Coaldust

Occupation
It’s just dangerous. Lots of things to consider. Like holding on to a Bourdon tube type gauge with your hand. I try to avoid holding them when pressured. High pressure injection injuries are no joke.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
"Whch brings up another question. I’m not getting any younger. What happens to all this $hit when I croak? A couple of you experienced field guys and myself, are the only ones that could identify most of it. Tens of thousands of dollars worth of “stuff”.

I think I’ll tell my Wife and girlfriend just to host a giant HEF garage sale and invite all of you. They have never met each other, so..."

Now we're talking!

excavator

I hear ya. I’m running out of room, too.
I keep my flow meter next to my air fryer in the kitchen.

Which brings up another question. I’m not getting any younger. What happens to all this $hit when I croak? A couple of you experienced field guys and myself, are the only ones that could identify most of it. Tens of thousands of dollars worth of “stuff”.

I think I’ll tell my Wife and girlfriend just to host a giant HEF garage sale and invite all of you. They have never met each other, so it will be a good opportunity to get to know one another. View attachment 290312
I've told my wife who in the area to contact to help get rid of everything. Ideally I will have gotten rid of most of it by then, the problem is finding younger folk who are interested in the trade but then who are willing to pay a fair price for the test equipment. And unfortunately some of it is now considered vintage or antique.

Coaldust

Occupation
My kids; one is a EE and the other is an RN. My boy might want a toolbox and some hand tools to remember the old man.

I have a young colleague that will probably get most of it. My wife won’t have time for a garage sale. She will be already be in Hawaii when the life insurance policy check clears.

JD955SC

It’s just dangerous. Lots of things to consider. Like holding on to a Bourdon tube type gauge with your hand. I try to avoid holding them when pressured. High pressure injection injuries are no joke.

I zip tie mine outside the cab.

For us unfortunately they make us buy our own gauges so $50 gauge it is. I do keep my stuff in good condition though.

Gary Layton

If I have to start from scratch and install test ports on something, I use Cat. Some guys prefer Stauff.

The Cat ports and couplers are made by Parker. PD series. I buy them from my Parker store for significantly less than NC Machinery.

Purchasing hoses, get a couple long ones, at a minimum, that reach the cab so you can read pump on and two while working the machine. View attachment 290309
Thanks, Coaldust, for the picture and info on Parker. It gives this bird dog a direction to hunt in.