• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tore up the 24" backhoe bucket on my CAT 430F. Appreciate suggestions on sourcing another.

Tugger2

What thickness material did you use for the base and the ripper it self? Looking to build one for my Deere track loader w/backhoe attachment.
The lugs are 1/2" base is 3/4" box section on the lugs is 1/2" gussets on the shank are cut from a chunk of hollow structural tubing.The shank is 1 1/4" .All mild steel just because its what i had around the shop.

Compression-Ignition

Wow, I wish I had a wishing well like some folks do. What would a new cat bucket cost? Wild guess
$10K ? That is such an easy fix for such a small fraction of either a new or used bucket.
I have in the old days fixed buckets in way worse condition. I can't believe someone wanting to replace it with a new one. If fixed correctly it will be stronger than a new one.
A brand new 12" bucket from CAT was IIRC $1450. I called a used equipment dealer and they want $1150 shipped for the same bucket in well used condition.

As to the rest of your post if you'd read this short thread you'd have seen I plan to repair this bucket myself. But it will most likely be a back burner project as I really have been in need of a smaller bucket this whole time.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Put some frost teeth on that 12" bucket and you be good to go.

Compression-Ignition

Well just got off the phone with a sales guy at my local CAT and he said he found the same style of bucket I have now but in an 18" width at a store over in Idaho. Should be here Friday. Said it's used but in good condition, $750. As long as it uses the same tips/teeth that I already have on the shelf I'll probably take it. He quoted me $2000 for a new 18" CAT Rock bucket which seems to look very similar by the pictures. About the same specs between the two, the rock bucket outweighs the heavy duty bucket by 30 lbs. 285 vs 305.

In looking at what specs I could find online some of these aftermarket buckets are weighing quite a bit more. I'm wondering are they using lesser steels? So they are thicker and heavier, but the strength might be about equal? My broken 30" CAT heavy duty bucket shows a weight of 368.2lbs a bucket I was considering from AIM an 18" shows a weight of 432lbs. For a bucket nearly half the size.

Anyhow the 30" lasted me pretty good considering the abuse I put it through. And I'm assuming the guy I bought it from had it on there since he bought the machine in 2014.

Seems like this 18" for $750 is worth a shot.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
The weight difference is probably lower grade steels, as you suspected.

skyking1

Well just got off the phone with a sales guy at my local CAT and he said he found the same style of bucket I have now but in an 18" width at a store over in Idaho. Should be here Friday. Said it's used but in good condition, $750. As long as it uses the same tips/teeth that I already have on the shelf I'll probably take it. He quoted me $2000 for a new 18" CAT Rock bucket which seems to look very similar by the pictures. About the same specs between the two, the rock bucket outweighs the heavy duty bucket by 30 lbs. 285 vs 305.

In looking at what specs I could find online some of these aftermarket buckets are weighing quite a bit more. I'm wondering are they using lesser steels? So they are thicker and heavier, but the strength might be about equal? My broken 30" CAT heavy duty bucket shows a weight of 368.2lbs a bucket I was considering from AIM an 18" shows a weight of 432lbs. For a bucket nearly half the size.

Anyhow the 30" lasted me pretty good considering the abuse I put it through. And I'm assuming the guy I bought it from had it on there since he bought the machine in 2014.

Seems like this 18" for $750 is worth a shot.
It is a compromise from going to a ripper or a 12" bucket, but as a digging bucket I find them a whole lot more versatile. 12" buckets are notorious for sticking material. If it has any grab at all you are filling them up and banging them out all the time. The 18" seems wide enough to self clean a little better. I think it will make a fine prybar.

AzIron

Cat makes a severe duty bucket in the same pattern there decent there are better options like were brau but prices may very

I really don't like rippers and I don't pry rock mainly cause I make a lot of money hammering but the wear and tear on that bucket is the same on the rest of the machine

When digging in granite twin tiger teeth are the most effective by far and get way better penetration than single point teeth

I dislike cat shanks and teeth for backhoes there are better wearing and cheaper options in a Hensley 23 series side pin shank and there are about 10 manufacturers that make teeth for those shank

Welder Dave

Wear strips or even teeth and adapters could be the difference in weight. Teeth could be optional. Size of mounting ears or top of bucket they mount to could also affect weight. It's unlikely there'd be special steels like T1 used on a sub 400lb. bucket.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yea nice bucket for 750. I would agree, it likely came on a new machine and was traded out for another bucket. I like twin tiger teeth for frost, not a big of fan for rock and least the lava/basalt we have, they don't hold up for that. The single point teeth (Star) work better for rock and concrete, and least in my experience. Either way, this bucket with some specific teeth will be much better than the 30" bucket you were using.

skyking1

Yea nice bucket for 750. I would agree, it likely came on a new machine and was traded out for another bucket. I like twin tiger teeth for frost, not a big of fan for rock and least the lava/basalt we have, they don't hold up for that. The single point teeth (Star) work better for rock and concrete, and least in my experience. Either way, this bucket with some specific teeth will be much better than the 30" bucket you were using.
I was thinking the single tigers for getting into rock.
I really like those diagonal pins. I've got the old cross pins and they're a pain in the butt to get the inside two teeth.

Compression-Ignition

I think this is going to work out. In the really hard stuff it's slightly better. In the middling stuff it fly's through. And then obviously in the soft stuff it's the same aside from getting smaller scoops. I'm getting some sticking in the bucket so at least in the colder winter temps I'm glad I went with an 18" bucket as I have to imagine I'd just be banging on a 12" all the time with stuck material.

I should have bought this bucket 2 years ago...

BC Placer gold

Nice find, great price! That should put a lot of power to the ground. I agree on the diagonal retaining pins; great idea as the two middle ones are often a pain to strike at with any force.