• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Torque Multiplier, lug nut remover

crane operator

I had some issues earlier with a lowboy and removing lug nuts with some overly tightened pilot hub wheels. I finally got them with my shop air and a 1" drive air impact, but none of them went easy.

I just got this in from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerU...&sr=8-3&keywords=torque+multiplier+lug+wrench

I also got a adapter to put on a 1/2" drive ratchet, or torque wrench, with a chart for the torque wrench. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z2448EDN9WRR643VR41K

I thought it might be a little gimmicky, but it actually works. Its a great tool on the side of the road removing a tire. I could also see using it on a third member nut, or rear transmission yoke nut on a eaton/roadranger.

At only $90, one time on the side of the road, or broke down with no power available on a jobsite, I can see it being real handy. We just pulled a flat on my 70 ton crane- 14.00r20 tires, and we loosened it with this, then went to a ratchet. When you were free spinning almost with it, you had to still struggle a little with a long 1/2" drive ratchet to pull them the rest of the way.

20161116_151737.jpg

DIYDAVE

That IS a good price, I got a gemplers catalog in the mail, the other day, and they had one innit for well over $100...:thumbsup

catfixer

Not a bad setup! I carry a 3/4" swench on my truck and fortunately haven't come across something it won't break yet, but that day will come soon enough. lol. Where are you located in MO?

crane operator

1965IHdiesel : (sorry for the late reply- but redneckracin nailed it)

I think if you had a hydraulic cylinder tied down good to a steel table so it couldn't spin, then put the arm up against the table too, you should be able to pop it loose. It doesn't give any impact, just keeps wrapping up the torque.

catfixer : I'm a hour straight south of Springfield in a nice little tourist area. If you're in a real bind you could come get it;) How do you like your swench? I've looked at them (online for sale), but never found one cheap enough to take a chance on.

catfixer

I love my swench. I caught it used on the tool truck for i think 75 bucks. deal of the decade lol. My buddy has the inch one and it is a hoss.