• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track bolts

rustyb

grouser bars-

I'm a new member and cannot start a new thred for some reason, so I hope you do not mind if i jump in with a question about grouser bars-

I have a 1982 Caterpillar D3B with the wide swamp tracks. The grouser is worn down a good bit, bit think there is enough left to weld to. My question, will welding new grouser bars- work on swamp tracks? if not where can I purchase new or used tracks Thanks!

Russ

dingo

Occupation
diesel fitter
guys have you heard of a hi-torque. its a hydraulic tool that tightens bolts up real tight, similar to the old torque multiplier. we use em at work, they are danderous but make life easy if used correctly.

JDOFMEMI

I'm a new member and cannot start a new thred for some reason, so I hope you do not mind if i jump in with a question about grouser bars-

I have a 1982 Caterpillar D3B with the wide swamp tracks. The grouser is worn down a good bit, bit think there is enough left to weld to. My question, will welding new grouser bars- work on swamp tracks? if not where can I purchase new or used tracks Thanks!

Russ

Rusty

You need 3 posts, plus log out and back in to start a new thread. Keeps spam mostly out.

For the grouser bar, yes, it will work on LGP as well as standard tracks. There are several places that sell it pre cut to the length you need. Sorry I don't have a link for you to follow.

OneWelder

I use to stack as many bars as I could fit in the vice cutting them with no problem= take a look at your blade speed , number of teeth , quality of blade
If you fill the vice you can tack while there cutting

Trakwork

Occupation
owner/operator --semi retired
On track bolts I keep it simple... using 3/4 drive sockets and a 4' cheater bar.. easy.
Grousers are easier to weld off the chain.

D6c10K

I've seen pictures of hyd torque tools but never used one...I can see how they'd be handy if you did a lot of high torque work.

Saw a gear reduction type torque tool on gov't liquidation auction recently...was a large unit weighing 100+ lbs that looked to use a worm gear to drive a multiple planetary gear reduction setup. Can't remember exactly what the max torque was, but it was several thousand ft/lb. (maybe 12,000)

Was a very expensive unit in brand new condition that didn't even sell for the minimum $150 starting bid. (attached picture)

Attachments

• torque.jpg
    torque.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 647

JDOFMEMI

On track bolts I keep it simple... using 3/4 drive sockets and a 4' cheater bar.. easy.
Grousers are easier to weld off the chain.

That may work on the small and even some mid sized ones, but do it on a D-9 going to a rockpile and they will all be loose and ruined inside of a week. That will get the initial torque, but you will not likely make the extra 120 degrees for full torque

Trakwork

Occupation
owner/operator --semi retired
That may work on the small and even some mid sized ones, but do it on a D-9 going to a rockpile and they will all be loose and ruined inside of a week. That will get the initial torque, but you will not likely make the extra 120 degrees for full torque

Well I've worked my 8250 110,000 lb, and 8240 80,000 lb dozers that way and never had a problem, but then again i've not worked rock piles.

Berco UK Ltd.

Just came across this thread....

Regarding the torque figures. As an example we torque a PC800 track bolt to 833Nm's then a further 120° this results in a final torque figure in the region of 2100Nm. To achieve these figures we use servo drive motors.