• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track pad bolt source

ZGrant231

Where does everyone recommend purchasing track pad bolts?
Specifically 1/2 x 1-1/2
I've read that OEM bolts hold longer but, I'm just trying to get the rest of the life out of a set chains and pads witch isn't much. 500hrs max
The machine is a moldy old AC HD6 that I used for occasional winching. I plan on keeping it around for a spare cat so it wont see much use. It's not worth much so I'm looking for the most economical solution, but sometimes having a operational spare can save the job.

Would a standard grade 8 fine thread hold them for this application?

Attachments

• 20200411_195540.jpg
    20200411_195540.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26

Cmark

Track pad bolts are fitted to the hole so standard bolts, even of equivalent grade will work loose. You could buy a genuine Caterpillar bolt and nut for well under a dollar.

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
Caterpillar bolt # 8H7504 is 1/2x1-1/2 and would we better than using the grade 8 bolt. AC bolts have a larger shoulder than Cat but you should be about find the Cat bolts easier.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The other thing to point out is that track shoe bolts are usually a fine thread in addition to being somewhat higher in quality than Grade 8. That allows significantly higher torque values to be applied to the hardware without stretching the bolts. With coarse thread Grade 8 I doubt if you could ever successfully keep the hardware tight.

Welder Dave

I think anyone that sells undercarriage should be able to supply suitable track bolts. If your bolts came loose and the pad is no longer flat new bolts won't stay tight. Another option may be to just weld the pads to the rails if they're close to worn out.

ZGrant231

Thanks for the input. The pads have been loose for so long I'm sure both surfaces are no longer flat and holes in the chain are slightly enlarged.
Welding might be what I need to get a little more out of this old AC. Is there a technique to this or just clean and burn?

nicky 68a

Here in the UK,Cat bolts for D8’s are about £4 each including nut.
That currently equates to about $5 US dollars.
They are 12 grade if I recall.
In comparison,12 grade ITR track bolts and nuts are £1.30 each ,that’s about $1.65 each.
I’m positive they would do for your dozer,allthough I have doubts you’ll keep them tight now they’ve come loose.
You can only try.

Welder Dave

Thanks for the input. The pads have been loose for so long I'm sure both surfaces are no longer flat and holes in the chain are slightly enlarged.
Welding might be what I need to get a little more out of this old AC. Is there a technique to this or just clean and burn?

I'd just put a 3 or 4" 7018 weld on the outside of the links on each side. You could use bolts to hold the pads tight for welding. Some small tracks come with welded pads.

cb75

We tried using grade 8 bolts once in an emergency type situation. 3/4” bolts on a Liebherr 641 track loader with ~27” shoes. The bolts didn’t fair too well, they stretched pretty quickly and the shoe came loose. On the same machine another time we used aftermarket bolts and nuts to tighten a bunch of loose shoes, we finished one side and while moving our tools to the other I heard a pop, then a bit later, another pop. 2 of the new bolts broke before the machine ever moved an inch. I figured it was a combination of cheap bolts, over tightened bolts, and worn out shoes and links. We would just tighten them as much as the inch drive gun would go, so I’m sure they were over tightened. But, we did the same with bolts from Cat and never had a problem with them up and snapping. Just my 2¢

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I remember seeing a bulletin for Belzona where a Cat 245 excavator kept popping off track pads. They used Belzona with new bolts. Some of the bolts still sheared off and fell out but the pads stayed on the rails for the rest of the life of the undercarriage. I've had good luck with this stuff. I normally purchased it from Rumford Industrial Group out of Ohio.