• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tracked Jaw Crusher

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I need some Help Fellas. Im looking for any info on a Tracked Jaw Crusher.

like a Cederapids Cobra Track system or the Pioneer/nordberg. I know that there are other brands out there, but I cant think of there names.

I would like to know what kind of production they are capble of, and if there is any advantages of using them instead of an actual Primary Jaw crusher. Going to be using it in hard granit. I know what the dealers will tell you, but im looking for the opinion of the working man who uses them.
the eventuall plan is to use it to feed a 54 inch Cone crusher.

Thanks.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
What size rock are you looking to crush with the portable? Will you be leasing or renting this for a small job or buying this to add to your fleet?

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
Im not entirely sure. It will be in a quary, so it will be blast rock. I guess it depends on the blaster. We have been looking at a 2236 Primary, but the owner wants a track machine. This drives the cost up because a tracked machine is more than double than the Primary that we found.
We dont want an impact crusher, we have tried that before and all the stone did was bounce around in the chamber. It is very hard stuff we are going to be doing. (way up in Northern Canada).
All it has to do is take it down to around 3 or 4 inch and the cone will do the rest.

greenie

Occupation
operator
testa runs erin jaw crushers and I kike them because it's basically idiot proof.
we also have a couple terex crushers.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Why do you want a tracked crusher ?

The one pit in my area is getting a new Jaw crusher she will take a granite boulder the size of a 4 door sedan they need a 45 ton excavator to lift the rocks. They want to boost their production another million tonne a year.

So you want the Jaw crusher to produce 6 to 8 inch minus ?

The only benefit I can see a tracked jaw would be if your close to where the rock is being blasted you produce the 6 inch minus then use wheel loaders to move the rock to the cone crusher.

Your going to want a jaw crusher with a 48 inch throat because blasting is expensive. Even using amex its allot of work to blast rock. You will prolly end up with a excavator and rock breaker busting up the bigger chunks.

As for crushing granite its done every day in B.C. its hard on equipment.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
We ( the working men) think a Tracked Jaw is not the right thing for our line of work, but one of the owners has his heart set on one, so we are looking into it before we spend his money.

As for the blast, the Mine where we will be going does all there own blasting, and have said that we should have no problem with it. there will also be a 330 cat with a hammer on it to tackel any thing that didnt break in the blast.

We just need something to take it down for the cone to handle.

we have to watch, because if we get too big a jaw, now we get into more expence moving it (need jeeps,converters) because in the north country there are a quite a few bridges that we have to be carefull when crossing as we are right at the max weight limit as it is.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
What is the ton per hour of the cone crusher and what size of crush are you taking off the cone ?

Are you screening what sizes are you screening off ?

You have to match the cone to the jaw because you will have lots of busted rock but the cone is still trying to produce. The best thing to do would be talk to the manfactures to see what they recommend for tonnes per hour.

Have you guys asked these guys about equipment

www.savonaequip.com/default.asp

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
it s 54 inch cone and a 5x18 tripple screen deck. Making 3 inch material we hope to be well over the 200, but we are told that its hard to crush so we might be down a little. There wont be any thing bled off the screen unless they want some pure stone. Making Crush (20mm) the tonage will drop a lot.

We have been told from other contractors up there that a liner will last aprox 40 to 50 thousend ton before changes. Thats a big change from southern manitoba where you can get double that, depending on the pits.

Thanks for the link, I passed it on the head mucky-muck and he said that he has already been in contact with them.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Crushing granite is hard on equipment I don't know what kind of rock is in southern Manitoba. Your going to want to have a welder on site because your going to be repairing stuff. Lots of bolts and a gas axe to change screens.

What are you using 3 inch material for is this clear 3 inch or 3 inch minus ?

You will prolly want a extra set of cones on site too you may end up having a set crack and a extra set of springs.

If you guys are not used to crushing the granite don't start overloading the crusher especially the Jaw you don't want to be replacing toggle plates etc or in the crusher trying to un jam it :bouncegri

You guys will prolly do fine :yup

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
last year i ran a Lippmann Duo-King crushing plant. This plant is two seperate semi trailers that back to one another to form the plant. the crushers are a jaw and roll configuration. we crushed 22a, 23a 22a mod. and 1 1/2 minus with it. while we were crushing a natural bank we opened the feeder door to see what production it would handle, the plant hit 1000 tons per hr. we had to slow it down because our transfer conveyors and stackers could not handel the load. in your case the down fall is it dont have tracks, but it is portable. as far as production, these plants put it out!!!:thumbsup

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
Well, we dont plan on that kind of tonage. it is nice but ist not us. we currently have Cederapids Commander 555, it is a jaw/roll combination all on one chassie. If the rolls have just been welded, we are good for over 1200 a day doing 20mm. we only have three moves with that plant, sometimes4
(crusher, shop van, loader and sometimes another loader or a stacker)

the cone system is the cone, screen box/feeder, and powervan and control tower, stacker and loader.. We have been trying to keep the moves down, but some times it dosent work. we have to get another Van for oiles and parts because it is now against the law here to carry any lubricants in the same van as the Genset and switchgear.

getting back to the original post, we will be needing a jaw for a job in the north conuntry, plus we could use it to help clean up some of the pits down here. Most contractors have a grizzly on the feeder and tend to just through anything over 10 inches to the side. Gravel is becoming a scarce commidity in some areas so you have to use any thing at you disposal to get the job done.

I think that I have managed to help the forman and Super. talk the owner out of a tracked Jaw any ways. (way too expensive, can use the money we save on a newer loader or another stacking convayor)

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
i dont know what brand of crusher you guys like up there, but we, and a few other gravel producers run Lippmann plants. we love them. their jaw crushers are legendary and serviceability is good as well. if i owned my own company i would deffinitly look at Lippmann.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
there are a few Cederapids and Pioneers here, but I have to say that the majority of the spreads are El-rus. they are built by a company in Calgary Alberta. they use just about any type of cone you want but most of them i see are either Nordberg or Sandvic cones. I think they build there own Jaws and Viberating Grizzlys.
A lot of the companys like there stuff, because of the ease of getting parts and how portable the plants are

I dont know anyone here on the praire that has a Lippmann plant.
not saying that there isnt, but dont know any one.

http://www.elrus.com/

here is the website, but i have found it slow at times.

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
El-rus is about the only crushing sales that survived in the province, our family had a spread from them pioneer jaw, pioneer scalping screen, cedar screen deck and 54 Eljay cone, worked well. I agree with Ford LT that a 48 inch jaw would be better, simply for versatility, not much more weight. Crushing spreads need to handle a wide range of material and sizes to remain viable.:bash

traxs

Occupation
Machinery Operator
The company I work for just got Metso washplant (screener, screw and water sprays). Metso seems to make good equipment, we'll see in a year what happens. We run elrus equipment for our crusher screen decks/jaw. We've had our 6X20 sreendeck for 3 years now and not a major problem.

dumptrucker

Cat has a tracked crusher that they have in their rental fleet. We rent one every summer for two months and crush everything to 4 " . The tracked machine is real nice. You can feed with excavator and keep moving machine toward you as you dig the material. We would do 1200-1300 yards a day (8 hours).

I can't remember the name of the crusher though. It was swedish if my memory serves me correct. We crushed for 2 months straight with no problems at all.

mwhyte

jaw crusher

i run a nordberg (not metso, they are just dealers) LT125 primary jaw crusher in a quarry with whinstone, and it is superb!!! It is over 4 year old, doing 350 ton/per/hour and thats the swing jaw just needing replaced now. no serious probs with it, just usual bits and bobs, skirts, etc. Cant fault it at all, brilliant piece of kit! p.s. keep an eye out for the deflector plate under the jaws, when this wears, rock can build up in it and cause big jams. if you run one of these, you will know its not fun to cleare.

pushkid84

jaw crusher

I need some Help Fellas. Im looking for any info on a Tracked Jaw Crusher.

like a Cederapids Cobra Track system or the Pioneer/nordberg. I know that there are other brands out there, but I cant think of there names.

I would like to know what kind of production they are capble of, and if there is any advantages of using them instead of an actual Primary Jaw crusher. Going to be using it in hard granit. I know what the dealers will tell you, but im looking for the opinion of the working man who uses them.
the eventuall plan is to use it to feed a 54 inch Cone crusher.

Thanks.

dear plowking this reply maybe a little late but i hope it helps. i ran a terex pegson mobile jaw i crushed hard hard malapi ( please excuse myspelling) it went through it without any problems the only hangup that i had was when some wet clay got in the jaws but i put rocks in that thing that 2 by 2 and bigger it ate pretty much everything i fed it dont quote me on this but i think it will produce 1000 yards in 10hours i was making about 900 in 9.5 hours with the daily jam ups it will produce 1000 yards no problem though if conditions are optimal. i have been around a couple of other crushers and i am far more impressed with the terex pegson. the biggest thing is that the jaws dont just move back and forth the jaw that moves comes in and up and down and out almost in a circular motion which actually pulls the rock down into the jaw. i had the jaws set at 4 inches and it made apretty nice material definatley nice enough to go right in to a cone if you get your mixture right you can make some nice agg. that was our plan. the company that we got ours from is named SNL equipment out of phoneix az their good guys but you got to watch em. good luck to ya any more questions just mail me .:usa

Last edited by a moderator:

BLASZER

Occupation
Local #17 union operator
The Kolberg Pioneer is supposed to produce 300 tons per hour....That is if the material fed to the machine is small.....If it is larger , or mixed with mud, it will be much lower...We used a jaw crusher to make 6 inch material and that ran directly into a Pioneer rotary crusher to produce 1 3/4 to 2 inch material...Plan on 3 guys for the operation....One on the hoe feeding the jaw crusher.....One on a dozer or track loader pushing up the piles (finish product or raw, uncrushed) and one watching both crushers and constant belt tensioning...

BLASZER

Occupation
Local #17 union operator
Dont pay attention to the video on pioneers' website....THey show 2 hoes feeding the crusher....Barely keeping up....But look at the size of the buckets.....VERY small..AND the material is no bigger than a cinder block!