• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tracks for a wheeled skid steer, anybody done this?

HillBoy

Long time...6 years, I guess.
1800 hours +/-.
I don't have the rubber, but the steel look like they have only a small amount of wear.

This sounds like a great investment on over the tire tracks -- 1800 hrs and a lot more to go!!! I didn't expect they'll last that long. McLaren tracks seem to be the winner... :notworthy :drinkup

tomcat

Hi Tim,
I got a used set of grouser tracks when I bought my used bob cat. I love them! I've had them for 5 years and won't go into the woods without them.
I think they were $1k used .
Tom

ermineerwhatbuc

Occupation
unemployed, bobcat for hire
are you looking to for all out traction, flotation, or a compromise? I have the Loegering steel padded tracks and they really don't hurt grass or asphalt unless you turn real sharp or fast, and as far as traction there great i climb or 12- 16" trees with a full bucket.
There really the best investment I've made other than the bobcat itself.

ForestDan

I just got off the phone with Loegering, inquiring about this very topic. Track kits, NOT the over the tire tracks, start at $13,600 for mid-sized skid steers, and go up to $16,600 or so for the big Gehl 7810... so for larger Cats and such they must be a tad lower in price.

Cool video, too! Check it out on the link below.

http://www.loegering.com/tracksystems/vts.asp

-Dan

90plow

We have the mac laren rubber on steel tracks over the tires on our bobcat 873 the thing will go anywhere with them on. The rubber seems to be tearing up rather quickly though.
-Eric

ermineerwhatbuc

Occupation
unemployed, bobcat for hire
oops typo

as far as traction there great i climb or 12- 16" trees with a full bucket.
There really the best investment I've made other than the bobcat itself.

I clinb over 12-16 inch tree laying on the ground, and they really pack down brush too!
sorry for the confusion

ForestDan

Hey Eric,

So, when you say your 873 will go anywhere with the mac laren tracks, what does that mean? Are you on flat ground with horrific mud, snow, pushing, pulling, lifting? Or is it rocky, steep, loose, off camber, and doing what?

This is all more helpful than you guys know. Thanks for answering.

-Dan

90plow

Well right off the bat you gain about 3+/- inches of ground clearance so going through ruts is easier. The tracks definately give it more traction in the mud both on hills and in the flats. They add a little more weight to the bottom too so it feels more stable when loading trucks at max reach. I really like what they did for the machine.
-Eric

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I just got off the phone with Loegering, inquiring about this very topic. Track kits, NOT the over the tire tracks, start at $13,600 for mid-sized skid steers, and go up to $16,600 or so for the big Gehl 7810... so for larger Cats and such they must be a tad lower in price.

Cool video, too! Check it out on the link below.

http://www.loegering.com/tracksystems/vts.asp

-Dan

If you watch you can pickup a great deal. I paid $5250.00 for a brand new still in the wrapper VTS system off of Iron Planet.com The tracks were for a 246B but they will also work on the CASE 440 and others I am sure. You could likely look up on the fit chart on Loegering's VTS website and become familiar with what other machines besides your own that will work with the VTS and when you see a set on the internet or at auction you can take advantage of it. A guy here bought a set for a 70XT for 3250 off E-bay. He had to buy new rubber but still a great deal.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
tracks

Hi all,

I have a New Holland LX 565 skid steer. This unit has wheels and is a pig in the mud. Unfortunately buying a new machine at this time is not an option. Has anybody installed tracks over the wheels on a machine like this. If so, What was your reason for doing this, are you happy with the results and approximately how much did it cost? Also who are the vendors that sell such tracks.

Thanks,

Tim
I know what you mean, I had a Case 1840 about 4 years ago and it was a great machine, EXCEPT in the mud, then forget it, youre stuck. I went on eBay and bought a set of steel over the wheel tracks (I think TracksPlus, but Im not sure) at that time I paid $1500 for a set. Boy, this was like night and day, this thing was like a little bulldozer. Now this is what I learned
1. have the tires filled with foam or a tire sealant. If a tire goes flat, then you have to take the tracks off in the field and thats not pretty
2. If you work the machine hard in the mud and the tracks are slack, they will slip and wear the tires out, so keep them properly adjusted
3. Adjusting, this is just my opinion and experiences. I use a strap binder, to pull the ends together, you will learn where the best place to hook the ends up/together. I think it took me 2 hours for the first time, then it only took less than 30 minutes per side. If you need, a little bit of slack to get the bolts, deflat one or both tires, if they are inflated. Then inflate, if the tracks are too tight, they will cause issues with the wheel bearings, so be careful.
4. The steel tracks will scar the asphaut driveways, but unless you are real hard on it, it will not cause damage. On concrete it leaves a temp. mark only. My new rubber tracked machine leaves a mark also, but it comes off.

I did wear a set out, in about a year, now this is using it rough and in rough conditions. Working about 60 hrs a week, in sand and mud, so they must be tough to last me that long. I bought another set and I still didnt have the money that McLaren wanted for their set. A friend of mine, bought a set of rubber over the tire, paid like $3500 (4 years ago) he had all kind of problems with wheel bearings, they would last him about 40 hrs, I think they were too heavy, too much strain on the bearings. He did the same thing I did, we both bought track machines, boy what a great machine, no more flat tires.

Hope this helps, I would go with cheaper set, to see how you like it.
Good Luck

dirthog28

KSSS
A guy here bought a set for a 70XT for 3250 off E-bay. He had to buy new rubber but still a great deal.

I saw a set of VTS on ebay a month ago for a Cat 242 I believe that sold for $1,200, rubber you could have got probably another 300-500hrs. I'm still pissed because they wouldn't fit my bobcat. I would have loved to got that deal!

zingy

Can someone tell me if I'll need spacers to run ott on a '95 763?

Thanks

HillBoy

I know what you mean, I had a Case 1840 about 4 years ago and it was a great machine, EXCEPT in the mud, then forget it, youre stuck. I went on eBay and bought a set of steel over the wheel tracks (I think TracksPlus, but Im not sure) at that time I paid $1500 for a set. Boy, this was like night and day, this thing was like a little bulldozer. Now this is what I learned
1. have the tires filled with foam or a tire sealant. If a tire goes flat, then you have to take the tracks off in the field and thats not pretty
2. If you work the machine hard in the mud and the tracks are slack, they will slip and wear the tires out, so keep them properly adjusted
3. Adjusting, this is just my opinion and experiences. I use a strap binder, to pull the ends together, you will learn where the best place to hook the ends up/together. I think it took me 2 hours for the first time, then it only took less than 30 minutes per side. If you need, a little bit of slack to get the bolts, deflat one or both tires, if they are inflated. Then inflate, if the tracks are too tight, they will cause issues with the wheel bearings, so be careful.
4. The steel tracks will scar the asphaut driveways, but unless you are real hard on it, it will not cause damage. On concrete it leaves a temp. mark only. My new rubber tracked machine leaves a mark also, but it comes off.

I did wear a set out, in about a year, now this is using it rough and in rough conditions. Working about 60 hrs a week, in sand and mud, so they must be tough to last me that long. I bought another set and I still didnt have the money that McLaren wanted for their set. A friend of mine, bought a set of rubber over the tire, paid like $3500 (4 years ago) he had all kind of problems with wheel bearings, they would last him about 40 hrs, I think they were too heavy, too much strain on the bearings. He did the same thing I did, we both bought track machines, boy what a great machine, no more flat tires.

Hope this helps, I would go with cheaper set, to see how you like it.
Good Luck

I did some reasearch about those bearings that your friend has a problem with. I think they are Grouser tracks since these are the only ones I found to use bearings. The Loegering and McLaren use a metal link with no bearing inside it... I assume the link is hammer forged, so that it lasts longer. Actually, the only thing I don't like about the Grouser tracks is the bearings they use - I think they'll be a hell to change once worn out. I also heard that they had few of the bearings breaking in the past.

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
I did some reasearch about those bearings that your friend has a problem with.

i could be wrong but i think willis was pointing out that the machine's wheel bearings were failing rather than ones on the tracks themselves...

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
tracks

i could be wrong but i think willis was pointing out that the machine's wheel bearings were failing rather than ones on the tracks themselves...
Yes I was talking about the machines wheel bearings. I think these heavy rubber add-on tracks, are just to heavy for the wheel bearings. Im not talking about the steel tracks. I did see some of these on Ebay today.
Good Luck

HillBoy

Oh, I got it. Thanks for clarifying.:)

HillBoy

I have Bullman tracks on my 98' 763, and do not need spacers.

Hi Sparky, how are these Bullman tracks working for you? I see they have a lot more steel to wear that the Trackplus tracks. I used to have the Bullman flat proof tires, but not the Bullman over-the-tire tracks.

blt

Occupation
contractor
Hi all,

I have a New Holland LX 565 skid steer. This unit has wheels and is a pig in the mud. Unfortunately buying a new machine at this time is not an option. Has anybody installed tracks over the wheels on a machine like this. If so, What was your reason for doing this, are you happy with the results and approximately how much did it cost? Also who are the vendors that sell such tracks.

Thanks,

Tim

We run Loegering tracks. About $3,000. They will greatly extend the life of your tires. We run on sharp rocks and steep terrain. Easy to take off and on once you get the hang of it. If you run them over foam filled tire check to make sure that it won't void your drive train warranty.